LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy issues

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the grill attach to the hood or in front of the radiator?

this is not an issue for 98 - 99 legos or outbacks.

this did not begin until 00 in the US.

there is no easy visual difference between 98 & 99.

but the vin will identify the model year

or the ID tag under the hood on the driver side strut tower will identify the trans ID number.

post the number.

ok everyone, still not certain on the year of that obw but I few other questions. I doubt I'll do too much more posting after this but please help me out with this. First of all, what if I don't swap the rear diff with the tranny? Just wondering I will swap both just curious what would happen. Now I'm considering keeping the engine out of my current subaru and rebuilding it when I have the funds. That being said I've seen people were people turn these 2.2's into DOHC engines by using the heads from the 2.5. How exactly would that be done? I've seen the write ups but it just doesn't help me much. I just need a strait forward answer explaining the basic process and what all parts I will need to accomplish it? What head gaskets would I use? And also out of curiosity if I wanted to relocate my HVAC controls to perhaps under my single din radio, how would I accomplish that? Just asking once again out of sheer curiosity. Would I have to somehow expand the harness? Thanks a bunch everyone yet again.

as for the rear diff, if the gears are not matched it will try to spin the back tires at a different speed than the front, and will likely break a gear or two. if the front and rear tires are tying to spin at different speeds, nothing good will come of it.

Maybe you should switch to Hondas or Toyotas, they are more expendable. ;)

Lol I was actually considering buying a '97 accord for $500. But I really like these subarus. I drove my subaru a couple of miles after the accident but if I gave it to ouch gas it wouldn't move at all it just wanted to die. If I gave it a little gas I could get up to about 15 mph then it would shift into second and then slow back down to about 5 mph. So eventually I just hooked up a chain and pulled her home. Funny thing is this was caused mostly due to my ABS not functioning at the time. The entire way home, no problems with the ABS. We eventually had to get a farm tractor to lift it up with a chain wrapped around the rear axle. After everything the engine still starts up and idles very well. It's only when you try to drive it that it runs like a turd.

Lol I was actually considering buying a '97 accord for $500. But I really like these subarus. I drove my subaru a couple of miles after the accident but if I gave it to ouch gas it wouldn't move at all it just wanted to die. If I gave it a little gas I could get up to about 15 mph then it would shift into second and then slow back down to about 5 mph. So eventually I just hooked up a chain and pulled her home. Funny thing is this was caused mostly due to my ABS not functioning at the time. The entire way home, no problems with the ABS. We eventually had to get a farm tractor to lift it up with a chain wrapped around the rear axle. After everything the engine still starts up and idles very well. It's only when you try to drive it that it runs like a turd.

Sell it. I would imagine that there are a lot of people out there that would be able to get it up and going in no time at all. Seems a shame to just scrap it.

Archived