LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket

:nono:

So I've noticed oil on the bottom of the timing belt cover. (Both Sides) And right above the oil cooler.

And what looks like trace amounts of oil in my coolant reservoir.

No lose in power yet, but I think its close. I've got a compression/leak down test tomorrow. If this takes a turn, I'll be looking for a short block.(Hint Hint, I've been thinking about a motor build as a side project.:wub:) The dealership said $2700.00 (New timing belt, idler, valve gaskets, the whole deal) They said because I work at a auto parts store I can source my own parts (20% off Cost) and just pay labor.

So your saying $2700 for a rebuilt short block and heads with the other stuff you have listed ?

See my click here link for my rebuild. There are other things to think about...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The quote was $2700.00 for the head gasket repair, which would include an entire head gasket kit, timing belt kit and all components, fluids, labor. They will inspect the spark plug tube seals as well.

The advantage to sourcing the parts is clear. I'd only pay for labor and fluids. Not to mention I could get 10% off fluids.

In fact I just read through that thread last night....lol

We'll know more tomorrow after the compression test. That will determine what I do. I have never dropped a motor in my life, so that seems as though it may be out of my experience. But I love the idea of doing it myself!

Keep in mind, the head gasket can fail in a way which you don't loose compression but you do get oil going into the coolant. In that case, if you haven't killed any bearings, just replacing the gaskets and possibly resurfacing the head can solve the issue.

Make sure the gasket set has all the seals in it, remember the 1/2 moons are not part of the engine gasket set.But the spark plug tube seals are.

Check what comes in the Head gasket set.

Do you want the heads rebuilt. If the engines coming out...do it right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What are the 1/2 moon seals?

How do the heads get rebuilt? Do they check the seats and re-machine for the valve seat?

There is a member who is local (Th3Franz) who say he has EJ255 long block for sale. He said its missing #3 ring, but the leak down was 15%. So it looks like i might have a good project motor! Waiting on a price and final details.

But if the compression/leak down test goes well, I might have some time before the engine completely fails.

If there is a leak and it does not show on the compression test, what are some worst case scenarios?

See the black 1/2 circle seals at the back of the valve covers.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4770.jpg

The heads will get taken apart, cleaned, valves inspected and replaced as needed, the valve seals get replaced, the seats ground, re-assembled.

The overall cost is not much if you don't need valves, valves are expensive.

Over time the coolant in the oil will make the main and rod bearings fail.

Is the car a 5mt or 5eat ?

The car is a 5mt.

That 1/2 moon is its own seal? Why didn't they include it in the valve cover gasket? lol

The compression/leak will tell me how severe the leak is correct? But if it shows normal, what if I flush the coolant and put new in. Then see if it turns turd green. What do you think?

UPDATE:

Head Gasket is fine. Compression/leak down test went great! But.....

The VF40 is done for....shaft play indicated that the shaft bearings are just about dead. Thank god, they haven't died yet! Oil leak is due to bad valve cover gaskets (both sides) and the radiator has a crack in it.

The Solution:

New valve cover gaskets

New Radiator

NEW TURBO BNR Stage 2 (VF40-18g)!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I have a good reason to upgrade the turbo!

Archived