LegacyGT.com

98 LGT engine swap: What's a direct swap?

Hi,

New around here & just learning the ropes. I've searched out the forums here , as well as ScoobyMods. I understand that any EJ engine will fit into my engine bay but I'm looking for what engines will be a direct swap for my car (including stock wiring/ECU).

I've got an EJ25 in there now, but am I limited to looking for another 98 EJ25? How new can I go without needing to splice wiring or deal with anything confusing for a newbie to car modding?

The reason I'm asking all this is that my car's aging & it's my daily driver. I know the head gasket's going to go at some point, so I need to avoid having it off the road for too long. I'd like to find an engine to recondition & put in when it's ready.

Also, does anyone in BC, Canada, know where the best place to look for a replacement engine would be that won't break the bank? I don't want to spend more than $500 on an engine to work on.

Thanks for any help!

General search will give you the info you need.

this from grossgary on USMB

Correct , between 95-98 EJ22 and EJ25's are completely interchangeable - plug and play. There are a couple notes:

1. 96-98 EJ22's have single port exhaust so you'll need the DOHC exhaust manifold for the 2.5 - but it's all bolt on and simple swap and the exhaust has to come of the heads/engine anyway to swap so it's not any extra work. 1995 EJ22's have dual port exhaust that bolts right up to the EJ25.

2. not all EJ22's have EGR but your EJ25 probably does so it'll just go unused on the EJ22. i block them off and remove the system, i suppose you can just leave it too. either way it's not an issue - car runs and drives fine no matter the EGR - it's just a matter of check engine lights.

3. swap the EJ22 flexplate or flywheel onto the EJ25

Here is link to FSM: https://docs.google.com/folderview?pli=1&id=0B6P6dybMMzg9T25hMEhPdjFVc1k

O.

This is his latest.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/142725-25-liter-car-options/

JohnEgg has posted it a thousand times also.

It should be some type of sticky, but most would not search there first either.

Listed are direct swaps, otherwise you can use almost any EJ shortblock, and use your heads, intake manifold, cam and crank sensors and if an EJ22, swap the flexplate.

I am in the middle of doing a DOHC cam on an EJ222 from a 99 Impreza.

I am Following DOHCEJ22E1's thread and will post under his build.

O.

O.

Cool...so, I assume the same would be in reverse...

Say, if I took my EJ25 block & put EJ22 heads on it. I would need the intake, cam, crank sensor from the EJ22? I would also have to do an EGR delete & deal with that stupid CEL, too...right? Then again, I'd have that stupid light even if I went with an EJ22...or are there 22s with an EGR?

Cool...so, I assume the same would be in reverse...

Say, if I took my EJ25 block & put EJ22 heads on it. I would need the intake, cam, crank sensor from the EJ22? I would also have to do an EGR delete & deal with that stupid CEL, too...right? Then again, I'd have that stupid light even if I went with an EJ22...or are there 22s with an EGR?

Do a search under frankenmotor. Will detail what needs to be done.

O.

You can literally use almost ANY EJ block you want so long as you retain your cylinder heads & your crankshaft gear, both of which the Engine Control Unit (ECU) need to run via camshaft/crankshaft trigger sensors.

In your case, it would be absolutely ideal to upgrade from the EJ25D block to any of the 99+ EJ25 N/A blocks. Your best picks are EJ251 or EJ253 block. 253s can be found in Impreza RS from 99+ & 251s can be found in all 2000-2004 Subaru Legacy low trim models.

The block swap will yield higher compression, which will yield higher power, all the while retaining a very EJ22-like reliability. You see, 2000-2004 EJ25 blocks are a HELL of a lot more reliable than 96-98 EJ25 blocks.

You can literally use almost ANY EJ block you want so long as you retain your cylinder heads & your crankshaft gear, both of which the Engine Control Unit (ECU) need to run via camshaft/crankshaft trigger sensors.

In your case, it would be absolutely ideal to upgrade from the EJ25D block to any of the 99+ EJ25 N/A blocks. Your best picks are EJ251 or EJ253 block. 253s can be found in Impreza RS from 99+ & 251s can be found in all 2000-2004 Subaru Legacy low trim models.

The block swap will yield higher compression, which will yield higher power, all the while retaining a very EJ22-like reliability. You see, 2000-2004 EJ25 blocks are a HELL of a lot more reliable than 96-98 EJ25 blocks.

So, what you're saying is find the complete short block from a 99+ EJ25 & mate it with my heads & the rest of my engine should bolt right up? No ECU changes required?

So, what you're saying is find the complete short block from a 99+ EJ25 & mate it with my heads & the rest of my engine should bolt right up? No ECU changes required?

Correct. Your heads & crank gear will run that specific shortblock as if it were the original. If there are physical changes, which there WILL be in compression ratio, your ECU will compensate for the changes & the car will gain power over the original as a result.

Awesome! Last question (I think).

Which head gasket do you use? The one for that matches the head model, or the one that matches the block? Or is there even a difference?

You will always use the gasket that matches the head coolant port size/setup, but also the bore size. For example, an EJ22 with EJ25D heads would use a custom Victor Reinz gasket designed for that specific hybrid but something like an EJ25D head/EJ251 block hybrid would use EJ25D head gaskets as though it were a normal EJ25D.

You will always use the gasket that matches the head coolant port size/setup, but also the bore size. For example, an EJ22 with EJ25D heads would use a custom Victor Reinz gasket designed for that specific hybrid but something like an EJ25D head/EJ251 block hybrid would use EJ25D head gaskets as though it were a normal EJ25D.

You always match HG to the block.

Some have been using the turbo EJ HG, with better results. PN ending in 642.

O.

Ok...now I'm confused...which of you is right? :confused: Do I use the EJ25D or EJ251/EJ253 gasket? :spin: Also, I didn't know there was a turbo EJ25...or do I use the gasket for a turbo EJ22??

They're both right about matching the gasket to the block. You wouldn't use a gasket for a 2.0 or a 2.2 on a 2.5 block, and you wouldn't use a 2.5 gasket on a 2.2 or 2.0 block.

As far as WHICH 2.5 gasket you should buy, it is definitely ONLY the one for the 25D. They are the only Subaru OEM MLS 2.5 gaskets. If you want more compression than stock, you can buy a thinner MLS gasket from Cometic. If you'd like, I'll do the math and tell you which gasket to use for 11.0:1 static compression. I'm pretty sure it's 0.027" though.

They're both right about matching the gasket to the block. You wouldn't use a gasket for a 2.0 or a 2.2 on a 2.5 block, and you wouldn't use a 2.5 gasket on a 2.2 or 2.0 block.

As far as WHICH 2.5 gasket you should buy, it is definitely ONLY the one for the 25D. They are the only Subaru OEM MLS 2.5 gaskets. If you want more compression than stock, you can buy a thinner MLS gasket from Cometic. If you'd like, I'll do the math and tell you which gasket to use for 11.0:1 static compression. I'm pretty sure it's 0.027" though.

Ah. Ok. I get it now. The bore matters from the block, but you're matching the ports on the head?

Ah. Ok. I get it now. The bore matters from the block, but you're matching the ports on the head?

The N/A blocks are all open deck, except for the later years. However, most of all EJ25s before 2012 are open deck. The gasket needs to have ports matching those on the head so that there is no risk of blowing the gasket under trapped coolant pressure. If the ports on the gasket match that of the head, there will be unobstructed flow between the head & block.

Archived