LegacyGT.com

2005 subaru legacy 2.5gt problems

Quick question for you Subaru experts!!

Not exactly sure is wrong with my car but I will give you guys the run down....

1) Car WILL NOT stay on the morning of a cold night unless I hold the throttle down

2) My car will drastically shake as if the engine is about to pop out, is not the motor mounts..

3) Will occasionally stop accelerating at certain times even at full throttle..

4) Turbo is burning oil and waste gate wont open up more than halfway (according to my mechanic...)

5) Does not blow white smoke out of exhaust

6) Have to some what often fill my coolant reserve tank

7) oil is extremely dark even though it is always changed on time if not earlier than needed...

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated and I truly just do not want to waste money on unnecessary repairs...

Oh also my clutch seems to be going bad butt, on certain days it will be drasticly stiffer than other days and can become extremely loose??? why is this...

Stock? Modded? If so, what mods? Tuned? Mileage? Mechanic knows the wastegate is only opening halfway-how? How long have you had the car? When did this start? CEL? Codes? Location? Car color?

Other than leaving the above information out, great post. Welcome to LGT.

the car is fully stock, the turbo was replaced at 55k miles, im at 127k now... the mechanic could not manually push the wastegate past the halfway mark so he believes its melts or something... I Have had the car for maybe 4 months. problems have been occurring for about 2 months. the codes read my engine is misfiring and my mechanic believes its because of the turbo, New York and Black. Also I have done some repairs recently such as, Timing belt, new spark plugs, new ignition coil, a valve seal on one of my head gaskets.... also my car is averaging only about 16 mpg city and 20 - 24 highway... Thanks for the response btw!!

OK...let's see what we have here:

Car is stock

127K miles

Mechanic will NEVER be able to push the wastegate back because it hits the flat spot on the stock downpipe flange

Codes read misfire-Which cylinder(s)?

How did it run after your recent repairs? Who did this work?

Has the car ever been tuned? Have you checked it for boost leaks/vacuum leaks?

All of these things must be correct for it to run correctly. It sometimes seems overwhelming but it actually is not that difficult to run down these types of problems and repair them.

I do believe the misfiring is happening at random on all cylinders which is weird, not one specific cylinder..

After the repairs my car was running well for a very short period of time, I went back and he told my the turbo fumes or exhaust fumes were not getting released because of the waste gate and so it apparently keeps frying my spark plugs and ignition coil?

It was a local mechanic my family has been going to for years and thought we trusted but recently he has been making some serious mistakes putting our lives in danger...

Sorry but not sure about the tuning, would it be done at a shop? could have been completed by the previous owners but I am not sure and I know I have not done so..

For boost leaks/vacuum leaks, my mechanic replaced the water pump when he did the timing belt? Also replaced some type of cheap tubing that connected to my turbo that apparently melted and was not releasing or taking in air correctly?(Not sure what it was called, not exactly brilliant in this field lol)

I'm thinking the o-rings between the intake manifold and the TGV's need to be replaced with the new orange ones that are much bigger.

I'm guessing you have a 05-06 ?

Tho 07 & 08 have that problem too.

Make sure you have the correct boost pill in the line from the turbo outlet to the T.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What ^ said. the o-rings are about $25.00 from the dealer. there is a DIY here somewhere. I did mine.

It's a chore but not that bad if your good with tools.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived