LegacyGT.com

2nd burned turbo on my 08 LGT

2008 LGT 5eat sedan 97xxx

Hey guys I as well hate asking especially because I don't spend as much time here as I should but the more I'm here the more I want to spend and money is tight so I don't have the fix up my car funds lol

Okay so about a month ago and I know it's my fault (wife drove with no oil for a week )I should've checked it , my turbo blew/burned up , I found a shop that didn't mind the down pipe and intake , to get my extended warranty to cover it.

So fast forward its been a month while driving to southern California for thanksgiving and I knew there was oil as I checked it this time blew/burned up again.

I am wondering should they have changed the oil? Changed the oil lines , flushed the engine? Any other supporting repairs? They only changed the turbo itself nothing else didn't even change the oil(scratched my head at that) but it was what it was.

So moving forward I am trying to figure out if now that it is here at SubyShop (wife's uncle owns and is master tech) what to do? Should I try to piece together something like STi turbo/inter cooler , or something like , what would the mods need to just make the swap ? It doesn't sound like its a direct swap.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated TIA

how badly destroyed was the original turbo? bad enough that debris could have gone into the engine??

Without a doubt the oil should have been changed. Sometimes the banjo bolt filters clog with debris, most remove them completely, so if they weren't changed or cleaned that could be why the second turbo blew so quickly.

yes, oil change is a MUST at a minimum. Most people (including myself) will say you must drop the oil pan to look for debris in the pan itself. Short of that, you do not know how much debris is in the oil/oil pan. This is all assuming you catch it fast enough that it doesn't do damage to the engine itself....most of the time a blown turbo will damage the engine.

blown turbo = debris in oil

debris in oil = more blown turbos

On to your second point...

STI fitment turbo will not fit without some modification. Assuming your engine is in good shape (and that is a big IF at this point), going with a 08+ WRX turbo (VF52) is the best straight forward "subaru to subaru" turbo swap. Either that or a BNR turbo (search). Either way, to get the most out of it you'll need the supporting mods (search).

Regardless, you have a lot more things to figure out before to get to the "next turbo" arguments.

What every body else said.

My vf52 has almost 40,000 mile on it. You will need to have the car tuned after the turbo is on.

Read more about what to do on here, look at the sticky on the top of the powertrain forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

VF39 (STi turbo) and VF52 are the same turbo. CHRA is the same, exhaust turbine/shaft is the same, compressor wheel is the same. The only difference is the VF39 has a hose nipple on the end of the compressor housing and the VF52 has the flange mount for the LGT style TMIC.

Regardless of how bad the first turbo blew, EVERYTHING (oil cooler, banjo bolt filters removed and lines blown clean, OCV's at least removed and cleaned) should have been flushed and the oil pan removed so the oil pickup tube could be flushed too.

Any metal bits that ended up in the oil pan ended up in the oil pickup ESPECIALLY if they didn't change the oil. If you know for fact that they didn't change the oil and they changed the turbo, I would be right back in their face. How on earth could someone do a major mechanical repair involving the oiling system like a turbo and NOT change the oil?

Man you guys rock thank you , I only got one notification so I hadn't realized there were more answrs.

And I would've taken it to Jose ( my wife uncle and owner) at Suby Shop in a heart beat had it blown here the first time. I live in Carson city nv and was on the way here when it blew this time.

Whatever turbo we go with I will be having it tuned before I head back up to home.

And you know I knew it had to be flushed that it should have had all lines, banjo bolts, ect but the shop I went to overlooked my dp to get warranty to cover it so I kept my mouth shut. This time we will be getting the money from the warranty company as well as I might drop a Lil extra for the setup.

Again thanks and if anyone as a link for a vf52 I'd be willing to check it out.

google, compressor map vf52.

If you want more the GT2871r can be had with a subaru mount, one guy made 360/360 on dtock fueling with meth. Its about $1440.00

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-stock-fitment-tr-garrett-gt2871r-212213.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived