LegacyGT.com

rims became hot after driving fast

Hi all!

Yesterday I was in late so I had to drive faster than I usually do.

I live 14km away from Turin and the road it's similar to a mountain one...so there are a lot of turns and you have to brake quite often.

When finally I arrived in the city I started checking the tires (there are a lot of holes down the street so i usually check them to find any imperfections) but. when I touched the rims

They were hot ...

Should I being worry about some real trouble Or it's just normal ?!

Any advices?

Greetings,

Gabriele.

How hot? THey all about the same temp? 14km, or 9 miles would be hard for me to get anything really hot.

Italian driving style hot. If the roads look like this one, then I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes gets a bit lukewarm...

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Romanian-Mountain-Road-e1334953022709.jpg

453747.png

Italian driving style hot. If the roads look like this one, then I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes gets a bit lukewarm...

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Romanian-Mountain-Road-e1334953022709.jpg

I guess he'd have been driving fairly fast then or dragging his brakes.

I drive in the mountains gain or losing up to 5k few in a few miles. They don't really get that 'hot' in my experience but I haven't temp gunned them. Pushing the car is a different story.

I gotta admit, I posted without enough info. Type of wheels, how long do they stay hot, is one wheel hotter than the rest, is there any diminished braking, does the car pull to one side under braking, is there visible smoke coming from the wheels, are there any noises coming from the wheels (not tire squeal) in turns or under braking...probably more that escape me. It's hard to troubleshoot without a road test or a more detailed description ......

Hi.Guys!

The rims were all at the same temperature when i touched them and the car doesn't pull to any side while i brake. The road it's similar to the one in the picture and if you search on Google maps "Pino Torinese" direction "Torino" you shuld be able to see it .. I'll copy the link later by the way..

Wait a minute, OP has a 2.5 not a GT he can't possible get going fast enough, long enough to get the brakes that hot.

But on a real car, this;

brakes = friction = heat

wheels are attached to the hub which are in contact with the brakes.

mine gets quite hot on the drive home (mostly downhill driving).

I think you should be fine. :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is just a section of the route I drive thru every day of the week.. as you can see i have to brake many times and that day a really had to push the car..

I owned a LR Discovery before buying this subaru so i never went too fast to get the brakes hot.. this is why I was a little bit warried about that.

Cattura.JPG.d9cc318c34a7cc5411e486e7994d3bc8.JPG

Wait a minute, OP has a 2.5 not a GT he can't possible get going fast enough, long enough to get the brakes that hot.

You really don't have to be going at high speed to heat up brakes. I think more important is how HARD you brake, how heavy the car is, and how frequently you brake between allowing them to cool down.

Back in 2002, I was able to get my brakes unbelievably hot on a 1990 740 Volvo, which was a 3300 lb beast, automatic tranny, and only 114hp rated from the factory, so probably a good amount less when I was driving it.

You really don't have to be going at high speed to heat up brakes. I think more important is how HARD you brake, how heavy the car is, and how frequently you brake between allowing them to cool down.

Back in 2002, I was able to get my brakes unbelievably hot on a 1990 740 Volvo, which was a 3300 lb beast, automatic tranny, and only 114hp rated from the factory, so probably a good amount less when I was driving it.

I guess you missed the hint of scarcsm there....did someone not have there coffee today...LOL

:spin:

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

This is just a section of the route I drive thru every day of the week.. as you can see i have to brake many times and that day a really had to push the car..

I owned a LR Discovery before buying this subaru so i never went too fast to get the brakes hot.. this is why I was a little bit warried about that.

Welcome to the world of fun driving, great looking map there.

If you conserned, you may want to upgrade your brake pads and maybe slotted rotors.

I did, just not enough apparently. ;)

Been there...as I believe you pointed out in the past.

Great day for being a forum troll. :lol: Just upping my post count...

Looks like a fun piece of road! :)

Just make sure that you have a fresh set of pads to add as soon as the current ones have called off their service.

I just changed all 4 pairs a couple of weeks ago ;) hope that i've not to change them for another 50k km

Welcome to the world of fun driving, great looking map there.

If you conserned, you may want to upgrade your brake pads and maybe slotted rotors.

I take a look around but it's quite expensive for me at the moment to buy a good kit.

i don't know if it's a good idea but i would like to know if it possible to change the rear brakes with a front kit.. but maybe it's not.

Driving that way, you may be changing them sooner.

No the fronts won't fit on the rear. There's a whole sicence to brake balance, it's not that simple.

Read the suspension forum here, I think that's the one with brakes in it. Lot's of ideas there.

IMO you just need good pads and may be rotor's.

I get mine from Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com, email him from his site, he can set you up.

I just changed all 4 pairs a couple of weeks ago ;) hope that i've not to change them for another 50k km

I take a look around but it's quite expensive for me at the moment to buy a good kit.

i don't know if it's a good idea but i would like to know if it possible to change the rear brakes with a front kit.. but maybe it's not.

That would mess up your brake biased. Unless you're ruining bearings just drive :)

Archived