LegacyGT.com

RWD LGT 3071 E85 project

bnguyenbb6

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I unfortunately can't get to the R180 this weekend, maybe next. I need to borrow a friend's air compressor/impact.

The R160 sucks for rwd/drifting. It acts like an open diff and doesn't lock like a mechanical clutch diff does. It only acts like a real LSD if you clutch kick hard. The car also rubs quite a bit on the driver's side so I'll be working on that.

The car does spin 1st and 2nd easily on throttle though. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Finished the R180 install today. Install went pretty smooth, I originally had the wrong axle side seals so was delayed a day. The gears are definitely taller with the 3.9 rear end. Car spins second but gets full traction in third. Will post some great iphone vids later.

Yes, sorry for the crappy iphone vids, the Hero3 was out. I realistically will not get good drifting vids until May or so. I'm considering towing the car to Lonestar Drift Round 3 for fun. I'm down to do some street drifting but its dangerous and the gearing is so tall that the car actually grips(partially because of the mechanical LSD also). First gear goes to 42mph, second a little past 70mph and third around 105mph. It cruises at 70mph at 2700rpm. It'll either be fast in drift or it might suck. If it needs more power, I'm considering switching back to pump, running race gas and upgrading turbos(gtx3582).

It does hold power at 1.3bar in 3rd and 5th though.I'll keep praying the axles hold together.

I plan on gutting the front axles and cleaning up the car this weekend. SXSW might take up some time though lol

The transfer gears and diff are fine. We're pulling the transmission today. We think its the clutch. Lots of sprung clutches break the springs when you clutch kick. If it is the clutch, it looks like I'll be upgrading to an unsprung 6 puck.

Moore Performance Blast Plates will be installed while the transmission is out and the front axles will also be gutted finally.

Follow me on instagram @asianthoughts for more iphone pics and updates of the car :lol:

lol, I feel dumb. After pulling the transmission, we figured out it was the passenger side CV that snapped. The clutch looks fine, slightly glazed but looks fine. Both axles(and wheels) spun when turning the driveshaft so I didn't think it was a CV. But if you try to spin one wheel and hold the other, its obvious the passenger CV snapped. It snapped after popping the clutch while already rolling...weak.

I'm hoping to pick up some DSS axles when Strizzy gets his. I'll go ahead and upgrade while the car is apart.

• 3 weeks later...

So the car is almost back together. I picked up some 17x9 +30 wheels. They sent Grids instead of Torques but I might keep them anyway. Free time hasn't been on my side but I did figure out the front axle delete situation. I picked up a 1" diameter, 3 3/4" bolt to fit through the front hub. It just needs to hold it together and the wheel will still spin on the bearing.

I received a set of spec B axles but these wont hold up to clutch kicks/power so I'm waiting for updates from Strizzy/Grimlin/Doogie :cool:

Wheel and axle delete:

13584451955_facd5cd3d3_c.jpg

Bolt:

13584520953_7ac0b3c2ed_c.jpg

17x9 +30

13584947154_0218db7e01_c.jpg

So I was sent regular LGT axles instead of Spec B axles but I have one order and it should be here soon. I took off my Spec B axle and the shaft itself snapped inside the CV boot near the CV.

Carnage pics:

13727955634_08d9c1891d_o.jpg

13727548485_46681666ed_o.jpg

13727955964_f7170fceb6_c.jpg

The bolts I bought for the front axle deletes are also not going to work if I want to keep ABS(which I do). Does anyone know how to release the bar from the outer CV? The inner ones were held on by a circlip.

• 3 months later...

I had a few issues pop up but I've mainly been waiting for those RCV axle bars.

My in tank fuel filter clogged from E85 cleaning out my tank. I was barely able to get fuel pressure it was so clogged. I replaced it with a Fuelab fuel filter mounted in the engine bay. The in tank filter has been completely cut out. The pump feeds into a fuel injection hose straight into the feed line now.

My throwout bearing started making noise last thursday so I need to pull the transmission. It might be a few weeks though as I'm planning on heading to the last 2014 Lonestar Drift event next weekend.

I also have some Spec B front control arms that are getting extended 1.5" to help with clearing additional steering angle(shout out to Calvo Motorsports). I should be picking them up next week. I need to take the spare knuckles to the machine shop for a tapered drill. I'm hoping for ~50* of angle. Perrin solid LCA bushings, new wheel bearings, extended arms and redrilled knuckles will all be installed at once. Hopefully SPL here in Austin will have longer tie rods if needed.

I also started putting stuff together for a double din head unit. I have a tablet that I'm planning to run to the screen. It should be able to display Romraider and the LC1. The cars been running fine and was driving until the throwout bearing started making noise. Just waiting for those axle bars to see if I can break 'em :lol:

I've always really wanted a carpc for logging/gauge dash, music and movies so I found a way to make it work. I'm deleting my radio for a full 1080p screen. I'm running a tablet into it and an aux port straight to an amp to the speakers. The touch screen is supposed to work with windows 8.1 via usb but if it doesn't, it still has HDMI in and I can use a keyboard.

14927688291_6fd22a001d_c.jpg

btw, anyone in Texas heading out to Lonestar Drift this weekend? Some D1 drivers from japan will be there. I'll be out there in the forester probably.

• 1 year later...

Two years later, I'm heading to Lonestar Drift Round 1 in March with 8 wheels and tires to kill(towing a tire trailer). I've updated my mod list, back to pump 93,6spd and rotated 3071 and I'm ready to spin out a ton :lol:. Follow me on instaphoto: Asianthoughts or come check out the car in person in Houston.

Here is a random PhotobyJasonScott, no aero or new wheels but peak the Cusco seat.

25240340406_1dbbbcae6b_k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! An E36 is a great platform, especially when turbo'd.You should look for an E36 M3 with the ZF transmission. If you go the Subaru route, look for an STi and just do some drivetrain upgrades at first. Stock sized tires and all. The skinnier tires will limit the grip and save the drivetrain a bit. If you eventually want to get competitive, I don't think a Subaru is the route to go. You'll loose the HP war lol

Thanks! An E36 is a great platform, especially when turbo'd.You should look for an E36 M3 with the ZF transmission. If you go the Subaru route, look for an STi and just do some drivetrain upgrades at first. Stock sized tires and all. The skinnier tires will limit the grip and save the drivetrain a bit. If you eventually want to get competitive, I don't think a Subaru is the route to go. You'll loose the HP war lol

Had more "beater 328i with a welded diff" in mind. No illusions of being competitive, more or less want to get into it because it looks like a fun thing to learn.

Archived