LegacyGT.com

Help me, question about oil leakage

Take it to the car wash with your lower tray removed. Bring drive on ramps and put the car on the ramps and blast all of the old crap off of there. THEN you can see where the fresh oil is coming from. Then you'll know where the leak is and you can fix the problem. From what I can see, it looks like it's leaking around where the oil cooler meets the block.

Agreed with above. I chased an oil leak, and found it to be a couple of sources. Valve cover gasket (especially around the half moon seals) and the oil cooler gasket. For the oil cooler, there is a walkthrough which includes draining the coolant.

I have this same problem. Does anyone know the part # to the oil cooler where the oil cooler meets the block?

Take it to the car wash with your lower tray removed. Bring drive on ramps and put the car on the ramps and blast all of the old crap off of there. THEN you can see where the fresh oil is coming from. Then you'll know where the leak is and you can fix the problem. From what I can see, it looks like it's leaking around where the oil cooler meets the block.

this is a good walkthough, with part #.

good time to do thermostat too. also check the valve cover gasket for leaks. My VC gasket went around the same time as the cooler gasket.

clean the heck out of the area before replacing the cooler gasket. they're impossible to clean if crap gets in em.

you don't need a new cooler, just the gasket. unless your cooler is contaminated.

Subaru Oil Cooler Gasket - Part Number: 21370KA001 ($10+/-)

You will also need a 15/16 deep well socket to get it off. check out the walkthrough I posted above.

GT's normally have a leaking valve cover gasket. Not a head gasket.

The passenger side is the one that leaks. Lot's of us have had that issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The motor pictured in the original post does not have an oil cooler.

JmP6889928<Busted! :redface: I didn't even look that closely...LOL. I know that the oil cooler gaskets have a tendency to leak after a while, so I ASS-U-MEd that was it. My mistake.

Possibly, an oil filter that didn't get tightened all the way.

JmP6889928<Busted! :redface: I didn't even look that closely...LOL. I know that the oil cooler gaskets have a tendency to leak after a while, so I ASS-U-MEd that was it. My mistake.

:lol: Happens to me all the time when I ASSume lol.

I will check the oil filter tonight

How difficult is it to replace the oil cooler compare to just replacing the gasket itself? Is it as easy as doing a oil change? Sorry for the dumb question but this particular job is one I never had to do before so I don't know what to expect out of it.

And yes I did see the "walk through" but someone tell the level of difficulty. Thanks

How difficult is it to replace the oil cooler compare to just replacing the gasket itself? Is it as easy as doing a oil change? Sorry for the dumb question but this particular job is one I never had to do before so I don't know what to expect out of it.

And yes I did see the "walk through" but someone tell the level of difficulty. Thanks

You don't have an oil cooler, at least not a Subaru oil cooler, so it's virtually impossible to replace it. You could ADD one if you wanted but there isn't one on there. That still doesn't change the fact that you need to blast the area clean first so you can identify the source of the actual leak.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4734.jpg

There's mine removed.

I'm guessing, in the car, remove oil filter, use a deep 24mm socket to remove the stud bolt holding the cooler on. Not sure how much room you'll have but the coolant lines should give a little space.

Pull the old seal and put the new in.

You can also see the leaking VC gasket in the photo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4734.jpg

There's mine removed.

I'm guessing, in the car, remove oil filter, use a deep 24mm socket to remove the stud bolt holding the cooler on. Not sure how much room you'll have but the coolant lines should give a little space.

Pull the old seal and put the new in.

You can also see the leaking VC gasket in the photo.

Dude....Look at the first photo by OP. No oil cooler.

Duh...right I'll go back and :hide: now.

Must be the oil filter or the leak is coming from above, say oil pump, crank shaft seal ?

Looking further at the first photo. May be it could be the bottom of the head.

But I'd clean the area like you said and get a better look.

Actually, I do have an oil cooler cause I have a turbo in my LGT wagon. I got my car checked out by a Subaru Technician who does side work outside of working for Subaru and he confirmed that it was the oil cooler that was leaking. He didn't say that I needed to replace just the gasket nor was he trying to sell me on the service either. He just stated that my oil cooler needed to be replaced in order to stop the oil leak.

Now with that being said, I'm assuming that if I replace the oil cooler, it's gonna come with the gasket as well right? Or does it come separately?

You don't have an oil cooler, at least not a Subaru oil cooler, so it's virtually impossible to replace it. You could ADD one if you wanted but there isn't one on there. That still doesn't change the fact that you need to blast the area clean first so you can identify the source of the actual leak.

Actually, I do have an oil cooler cause I have a turbo in my LGT wagon. I got my car checked out by a Subaru Technician who does side work outside of working for Subaru and he confirmed that it was the oil cooler that was leaking. He didn't say that I needed to replace just the gasket nor was he trying to sell me on the service either. He just stated that my oil cooler needed to be replaced in order to stop the oil leak.

Now with that being said, I'm assuming that if I replace the oil cooler, it's gonna come with the gasket as well right? Or does it come separately?

The picture you posted at the beginning shows an engine with an oil filter and NO oil cooler on it. Is this the engine in your LGT? If so, it's one without the oil cooler.

Archived