LegacyGT.com

LED Bulb Headlights (throw and color)

Perscitus

I installed the LED low beams kit I snagged from TESTA....they would not fit behind the dust caps so reluctantly I had to drill a hole through them to fit as the length is too long despite adjusting collar...

There is a small circle gap of about 2mm around heat sink and the plastic dust cap. I have mixed feeling about this as it is not properly sealed.

I have 2 questions...

1) Where can I buy new headlight dust end caps to revert back to stock for my 2011 Legacy 2.5i?

2) Should I be concerned with the un sealed lights? Wonder if ppl are running unsealed or perferated LED and or HID headlights on this forum...

Lemme know. Color is nice...Distance is acceptable but not awe inspiring like I had envisioned...

uploadfromtaptalk1441629781043.thumb.jpg.653e91dae1c0377961cc89a4882a5484.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441629831706.thumb.jpg.6b61877571fb38ee557eb97d94cca2a1.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just some insight. You can prob find dust covers on eBay or a part out thread or even new from Subaru but don't know the cost of that route. My headlights have been unsealed for 3 years now and I've had no issues. Changing bulbs or LEDs or whatever won't make the distance longer or wider. The projector is what determines that. New LEDs will only be brighter and a diff color

Yup, exactly right. I saw some cool flexible high heat silicone or rubber dust caps that fit, no cutting required to fit bigger heatsinks.

Also if you can, rotate the led chips so they face 9 and 3 o'clock.

Our projector mirrors are there. Vastly vastly better throw.

Yup, exactly right. I saw some cool flexible high heat silicone or rubber dust caps that fit, no cutting required to fit bigger heatsinks.

Also if you can, rotate the led chips so they face 9 and 3 o'clock.

Our projector mirrors are there. Vastly vastly better throw.

I tried to do 9 and 3... wasnt quite there and wasn't so easy to adjust....maybe on a newer model LED...but...if u guys see any of those high heat silicone or rubber dust caps that would fit...please forward me the info...ty.

I wonder how much better HID's would be...? (http://theretrofitsource.com) and also....if I would do better to get the Morimoto Elite HID system for Fog lights to pair with my set up...hmmmm

Ideas? Comments? Thoughts?

hids are brighter but you wont get 100% of their true output unless you retrofit in true HID projectors. our standard halogen projectors do the job just fine but it isnt "true" HID output. also personal opinion but I think HIDs in fogs is a stupid idea. those little housings werent meant for that much light and that much heat...you risk melting the housing as well as almost always blinding oncoming drivers

I tried to do 9 and 3... wasnt quite there and wasn't so easy to adjust....maybe on a newer model LED...but...if u guys see any of those high heat silicone or rubber dust caps that would fit...please forward me the info...ty. Ideas? Comments? Thoughts?
Here they are:

ebay Motors item 131392649272

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131392649272

2x Universal Headlight Seal Dust Seal Cover for HID conversion, LED kit, no drill

Speaking of HID fogs, although Im also not a fan, these look very promising and should work for our cars too:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2717174

I ran yellow HID fogs, I agree as some mentioned, they are not worth it, for the cost just buy a color matching bulb. However they are so low they don't blind on comers..yes I checked and asked others who drove by. And heat was not a issue either in case someone wants to try it, I had 35w.

if you want some legit LED fogs buy these:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-headlight-fog-light-housings/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-type-s.html#.Ve87aEZFZqw

hands down some of the best money ive ever spent on my car and they back theyre products very good! i have yellow overlays on them if you want yellow light

Curious..Whered u buy the yellow overlays? I wonder how yellow the light is... as i thought bulb color makes biggest difference...

Curious..Whered u buy the yellow overlays? I wonder how yellow the light is... as i thought bulb color makes biggest difference...

You can actually order the yellow overlays from TRS with the fogs, or order the overlay directly from a number of vendors Lamin-X, Headlight Armor, Xpel, or even WeatherTech.

I opted not to get the yellow overlays when I ordered my Morimoto LED fogs. Now that I have the fogs in hand (still in the box), I'm contemplating getting either clear, light tint, or blue overlays. But if the blue is as blue as your yellows appear to be, I suspect I could run into some legal issues.

So... I guess it boils down to: clear overlays or tinted? I suspect gunsmoke would be too dark. Also, do you apply the overlay before installing the fogs or after they are on the car? It's not clear just how large the overlays are.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Subaru-Legacy-10-12-Fog-Light-Covers-p/s122.htm

I put them on before I installed the lights as I thought that would make it easier. If you look at that closeup pic I posted you can see that the overlays are probably 1/4" tops smaller all the way around than the light face itself. Very bery unnoticeable once they're on the car

I did notice. That's partly what prompted the question. My thinking is that if the overlays are about the same diameter as the opening in the inserts in the bumper, it might make sense to wait until the lights are installed to ensure they cover the exposed portions of the lenses.

I've used the pre-cut yellow foglight lamin-x on my 05 LGT, didn't like the way lights leaks around it. I just replaced my 3000K yellow HID bulbs from http://www.theretrofitsource.com but their new bulbs are more yellow than gold so I'm going to use lamin-x to make the color more consistent. I recommend buying [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PSX55SQ]universal size[/ame] and cut-to-fit for a full coverage.

Nice. Then I just have to decide if I want to tint them or not. Not a fan of yellow. I'd do blue, but I don't want attention (not that I ever use my fogs, really).

Edit: Found this really useful youtube video comparing the Lamin-X covers "tint" shade without any covers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP--dswPlRY]Lamin-x Fog Light Tint Review - YouTube[/ame]

So, I pulled the trigger on these [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006347QNQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]Lamin-X 7x8 inch sheets in the "tint" color[/ame]. I'll apply the covers to the lights first, then install them on the car.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the latest (late 2015, early 2016) LED headlight bulb kits are starting to trickle down at the manufacturers over in China.

Looks promising and with these dimensions, they should fit behind dust caps too (althought its still recommended to remove them or drill holes in them for airflow and heat dissipation out back rather than into the housing).

Smaller/cleaner designs with better driver units, 90 deg self-lock sockets, 0-4mm adjustable focus (good for projector or shallow/deep reflector housings)

Philips Lumileds Luxeon Z ES and MZ COBs

45W 4500lm or 55W 5200lm @ 6000K/5000K/4000K/3000K

Now, 45W 4500lm Luxeon COB designs are not new (been around since late 2014) but the small form factor is something good.

581398886_45w-358142477339029335212599129256_02.jpg.27c3408f8e27fea54df7e27be3c665c5.jpg

413494931_55w-358142477338754--200132599129256_02.jpg.daef31c81ff30b6defb47b12ce2578f8.jpg

512453035_45w-358142477339029335212599129256_08.thumb.jpg.029712624b20cec1a3ddb59d0e73eff2.jpg

534706494_55w-358142477338754--200132599129256_08.thumb.jpg.55b92a49d18262aedddfe844907ce151.jpg

944693939_QQ251302227020151021101503.jpg.b2d1e8b6a5d2b7629853757dcb4bfcba.jpg

Looks like the latest (late 2015, early 2016) LED headlight bulb kits are starting to trickle down at the manufacturers over in China.

Looks promising and with these dimensions, they should fit behind dust caps too (althought its still recommended to remove them or drill holes in them for airflow and heat dissipation out back rather than into the housing).

Smaller/cleaner designs with better driver units, 90 deg self-lock sockets, 0-4mm adjustable focus (good for projector or shallow/deep reflector housings)

Philips Lumileds Luxeon Z ES and MZ COBs

45W 4500lm or 55W 5200lm @ 6000K/5000K/4000K/3000K

Now, 45W 4500lm Luxeon COB designs are not new (been around since late 2014) but the small form factor is something good.

Do these give off the same light pattern as HID? And that's a really high lumen rating for the 55w, are they gonna have the same heat issues as 55w HID? I had those on my previous headlights and the head caused it to crack. I would assume heat from LED is much lower correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard or have experience with the GTR Lighting.com LED conversion.

My buddy has a set of new in box H7/6000k color 2200LM Single beam bulbs.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-d57o0b/5hdsngn1/products/237/images/5650/GTR_Lighting_GEN_2_LED_Headlight_Bulbs__95958.1426694572.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
i got the overlays from them when i ordered the fog lights...here is a pic to show they are VERY yellow. these are the best I got as I thought I had other ones. you can still see that theyre quite yellow using just the overlays

Can you send me a picture of your rims? They look awesome and I'm soon to be in the market for some

Archived