LegacyGT.com

Grand theft auto

I understand that subaru's are surpassing almost every car in theft......i also understand that the LGT key is chipped......does that make it much more difficult to be stolen? or any professional will just take the car with just as much ease as the i. ???????

its actually word of mouth....plus the fact my brothers 98imprezaRS got broken into 3 times in a 4 month period.....BUT BESIDES THAT STATEMENT....i just wanna know if the key chip will stand in the way of an experienced car booster.

I think ALL cars eventually get stolen in New Jersey. :lol: I couldn't believe how crime-ridden that place is when I lived in New Brunswick.

The immobiliser system should make it very difficult to steal the car without the use of a tow-truck. As I understand it, the ECU will not allow the engine to run without the RFID chip present in the key.

word of mouth is wrong. Subaru isn't even in the top 25 for 2004. 2005 numbers are of course not out yet. I'd say acura integra's pretty much have a lock on most stolen.

Imprezas are the most stolen subaru though.

CCCIS 2004 list

1. 1999 Acura Integra

2. 2002 BMW M Roadster

3. 1998 Acura Integra

4. 1991 GMC V2500

5. 2002 Audi S4

6. 1996 Acura Integra

7. 1995 Acura Integra

8. 2004 Mercury Marauder

9. 1997 Acura Integra

10. 1992 Mercedes-Benz 600

11. 2001 Acura Integra

12. 1989 Chevrolet R25

13. 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood

14. 1994 Acura Integra

15. 1996 Lexus GS

16. 2000 Acura Integra

17. 1999 Mercedes-Benz CL

18. 1996 Lexus SC

19. 2004 Cadillac Escalade

20. 1996 BMW 750

21. 1998 Land Rover Range Rover

22. 1994 Audi Cabriolet

23. 2001 BMW M Roadster

24. 2003 Cadillac Escalade

25. 2000 Honda Civic

NCIB 2003 top ten

2000 Honda Civic

1989 Toyota Camry

1991 Honda Accord

1994 Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup

1994 Dodge Caravan

1997 Ford F150 Series

1986 Toyota Pickup

1995 Acura Integra

1987 Nissan Sentra

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass

You want to look at NHTSA data, go here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/theft/theft.cfm

for 2003 impreza was 67 thefts for 23333 cars manufactured. rate of 2.87.

by contrast a 2001 integra has a rate of 10.5

most thefts by number for 2003 was the toyota corolla with 786. However, they made a lot, so rate is 2.3.

for informational purposes, here is the CCCIS 2003 list. no idea why none of the three sources of 2003 stats agrees.

1 1995 SATURN SL

-----------------------------------

2 1998 ACURA INTEGRA

3 1994 SATURN SL

4 1999 ACURA INTEGRA

5 1995 ACURA INTEGRA

6 1997 ACURA INTEGRA

7 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

8 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

9 2002 MITSUBISHI MONTERO

10 2000 HONDA CIVIC

11 1991 ACURA LEGEND

12 1999 HONDA CIVIC

13 1994 HONDA CIVIC

14 1994 HONDA ACCORD

15 1996 HONDA ACCORD

16 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY

17 1995 HONDA ACCORD

18 1993 HONDA CIVIC

19 1996 CHEVROLET TAHOE

20 2001 MITSUBISHI MONTERO

21 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

22 1995 HONDA CIVIC

23 1990 TOYOTA CAMRY

24 1989 TOYOTA CAMRY

25 1993 HONDA ACCORD

I had a DODGE intrepid that was chipped and was broken into. THEy got the ignition out but if you have a chip they arent getting your car.This one of the best antitheft devices, thats what the COPS in HOBEKEN told me. YEAH for New Jersey:lol:

Denial is your best friend

u said it....new brunswick...im attending rutgers so im a little worried bout my car.

Well I work at rutgers and park mine here every day. On campus parking isn't bad for thefts. Especially once you are off college ave. College ave isn't too bad for thefts, but you will get your windows smashed every now and then and your stuff taken if you are stupid enough to leave things lying about in clear view that can easily be turned into a few bucks for drugs.

Off campus housing on college ave campus or just parking in the general vicinity is where you start having more danger of theft. But I can instantly cut all your risk of theft and assault more than in half.

1) if you live off campus.. lock you frikin doors. if your housemates can't remember their keys, they deserve to get locked out more than you deserve to get raped/beaten/robbed.

2) lock your frikin car and don't leave stuff in the passenger compartment. Especially things like textbooks, radar detectors, laptops, CDs, DVDs, etc. Anything you can drag off and sell for a few bucks without proof of ownership will attract bad attention from idiots.

3) If parking in the stadium west lot for the commuter shuttle on busch, take the bus after dark, not the shortcut along the golf course. I believe they have been patrolling that area on bikes as we haven't had any announcements about assaults there, but for a while it was like the area thugs were farming engineering students who couldn't wait for the bus.

But in general, we don't have too many thefts, mostly what I described in 2). What thefts we have mostly fall into the shopping list variety. Which means unless some third world warlord or drug lord wants a LGT, or the used parts market for them becomes super profitable, you are reasonably safe.

Now if you were on Newark campus.. WHOLE different matter, especially the nursing school.

Just to add on to the earlier post with the NHTSA data (this is for 2003)

Theft rate (per

Production 1,000 vehicles

Rank Manufacturer Make/model (line) Thefts (Mfr's) produced)

2003 2003 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

34 SUBARU IMPREZA 67 23,333 2.8715

178 SUBARU BAJA 7 14,966 0.4677

184 SUBARU LEGACY/OUTBACK 30 84,858 0.3535

186 SUBARU FORESTER 21 65,691 0.3197

My friend had his 93 Honda Civic stolen out in the streets near NJIT, he had tint on his windows and maybe some books but nothing of value in sight. They took his broken aftermarket radio, which they'll probably find out later was broken and the Si rims on there that are bent and curb rashed. They even took the T1 testing equipment in the trunk which was valued more than the car brand new and I really doubt they know what the hell that is. They broke the ignition too and the exhaust was really messed up, I think it was left on blocks. You'd figured that a school would have more patrols of cops or even University cops prevented car theft.

I would think cars being stolen would matter if they are popular. More cars on the road easier to find a buyer for used parts. Since Subaru isn't as quite common as Toyota and Honda, I would think there's less of a chance of it getting stolen over those other cars.

Well I work at rutgers and park mine here every day. On campus parking isn't bad for thefts. Especially once you are off college ave. College ave isn't too bad for thefts, but you will get your windows smashed every now and then and your stuff taken if you are stupid enough to leave things lying about in clear view that can easily be turned into a few bucks for drugs.

Off campus housing on college ave campus or just parking in the general vicinity is where you start having more danger of theft. But I can instantly cut all your risk of theft and assault more than in half.

1) if you live off campus.. lock you frikin doors. if your housemates can't remember their keys, they deserve to get locked out more than you deserve to get raped/beaten/robbed.

2) lock your frikin car and don't leave stuff in the passenger compartment. Especially things like textbooks, radar detectors, laptops, CDs, DVDs, etc. Anything you can drag off and sell for a few bucks without proof of ownership will attract bad attention from idiots.

3) If parking in the stadium west lot for the commuter shuttle on busch, take the bus after dark, not the shortcut along the golf course. I believe they have been patrolling that area on bikes as we haven't had any announcements about assaults there, but for a while it was like the area thugs were farming engineering students who couldn't wait for the bus.

But in general, we don't have too many thefts, mostly what I described in 2). What thefts we have mostly fall into the shopping list variety. Which means unless some third world warlord or drug lord wants a LGT, or the used parts market for them becomes super profitable, you are reasonably safe.

Now if you were on Newark campus.. WHOLE different matter, especially the nursing school.

And this is why I transferred from Rutgers back to University of Pittsburgh during my freshman year. Thefts, robberies, assaults, rape, stolen cars.... and this was just around my dorm complex! It makes uptown Pittsburgh feel like a walk in the park.

I knew I was in trouble when I went to the Walmart during my first week at Rutgers, and it was closed with bars on the doors at 8pm! That was the only Walmart I've ever seen that wasn't open 24 hours. :lol:

if your worried put one of these on your car.

http://www.expo1000.com/parking/Interviews/Boot.jpg

and i think the bastards in newark and east orange want sti's, modded wrx's and audi a4's.

they certainly wouldn't want my car. they couldn't outrun the police.

rony, it all depends where u live. every state has its shit parts and good parts. i live in northern NJ, and (excluding a few cities, like patterson, newark, jersey city, bergenfield) everything is golden. if you live in a predominantly poor area, no shit u are at higher risk. if anything happens around where i live it was because someone hates someone.

Ah, New Brunswick, New Jersey. How dearly I recall my halcyon college days there on the banks of the Old Raritan: getting mugged on Easton Avenue...the torching of the car in the back of the fraternity house...the break-ins, the thefts...including the theft of two actual aircraft wings for a 1939 Aeronca Chief (about 32 feet of wingspan) that were being restored by my roomie and me. Yes, how can one forget New Brunswick...

It was after I went from fraternity house to fraternity house explaining that theft of aircraft parts was a FEDERAL offense, and that the FBI would have to be called within 24 hours that the wings magically reappeared...

A guy at work had his WRX stolen out of the front of his house at like 1 or 2 am and didn't even hear it. It was in Irvington and my friends brothers STI got stolen 3 times in the Rex Plex parking lot in Elizabeth so don't go there he unfortunately worked there at the time.

Archived