LegacyGT.com

Legacy STi, finally here

GeorgeB

No doubt everything exposed on those GT's can be purchased in the Subaru catalog.... SO I have to ask.... Why THE IKE.... cant Subaru sell these GT's around the world to their other leading markets such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA and HK to name a few. I just DONT understand why why why they only make these vehicles for their own domestic market. Imagine if Ferrari only sold ppl movers to external countries outside of Europe, they wouldnt last long.

Carn Subaru, stop teasing and start fielding some REAL surveys to ppl who want this level of Sports Car.

Ada///M.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want that front bumper! BAD!

Soooooo sexy..... want to touch the......

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Just note: those Recaros do NOT have SABs, and as such would stuff with your insurance quite badly.

And Adam, Subaru still has internally perceived probs selling hi-buck cars here (hence their being LEs), so exporting them is a large leap of faith. If the spec B does well in the US, it may yet happen that LEs get exported, too.

And Adam, Subaru still has internally perceived probs selling hi-buck cars here (hence their being LEs), so exporting them is a large leap of faith. If the spec B does well in the US, it may yet happen that LEs get exported, too.

What problems? Is there still left over weariness fm the 1970s-80s fuel shortage? Im just curious thats all. =)

amen brother.

I would buy a WR Blue 2.5 GT Sedan with a taller-geared 6MT/VTD-AWD (like the overseas Legacy 3.0 Spec B gets, not as short-geared as the WRX STi.) and bilstein struts/springs, 20mm rear swaybar, and aluminum control arms in a heartbeat.

IF that was the Spec B limited edition, I would be first in line, and singing Subaru's praises about it. But alas, neither is the case.

Heck, in a perfect world, that is how the GT Limited should be equipped, standard.

i thought that i read somewhere that they did up the 6-speed gearbox in the limited edition legacy STI??

The Legacy STi that we're rumored to get in 2007, yes, it is rumored to have a 6-spd. The Legacy "tuned by STi" is just a regular Legacy GT with bolt-ons. Unless it's the Legacy 3.0R (which we don't get), with STi bolt-ons - the 3.0R comes with the 6-spd.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason they've dropped the 5MT on some US models is because they're thinking of bringing the 3.0R here. That would be great!

But then, I'm just starting rumors....

Tim

From the information I have recieved also is, because we only get the 2.0L, there is a lot more torque gain by using the 5MT rather than the 6MT. The WRXSTi is running a 2.5 where the STi Legacy will only run a 2.0L here in Oz including Japan and NZ.

Ada///M.

From the information I have recieved also is, because we only get the 2.0L, there is a lot more torque gain by using the 5MT rather than the 6MT. The WRXSTi is running a 2.5 where the STi Legacy will only run a 2.0L here in Oz including Japan and NZ.

Ada///M.

Technically speaking, since a 5-speed transmission's ratios are further apart, it would mate well with an engine that has a wide torque curve. The 6-speed, with its closer ratios, mates well with an engine that has a narrower torque curve, to make it easier to keep the engine in its sweet spot.

So, rather than mating the 5-speed to the 2.0, just the opposite would make the most sense - the smaller turbo engines generally have a narrower power/torque band, so they offer the 6-spd tranny to make it easier to keep the engine in the meaty part of the torque curve.

Also, the Legacy/Liberty 3.0 6-cylinder makes less torgue than the 2.5 turbo (250 hp/250 lbs/ft torque, while the 3.0 is 250 hp/ 219 lbs/ft torque) so that's why they give the 3.0R the 6-spd transmission. All the better to keep it near its power peak.

The Subaru people figured the US-spec 2.5 turbo in the Legacy had a broad enough powerband to not need the closer ratios of the 6-speed, while the 2.5 turbo in the Impreza STi, even though it's basically the same 2.5 turbo engine, is tuned to give a higher peak horsepower, but that comes at the expense of narrowing the powerband (and pushing it higher in the rev range), thus necessitating the 6-speed transmission to make best use of that narrower powerband.

So, if Oz is getting a 2.0 Legacy STi, it only makes sense to put the 6-speed in it, rather than the 5-speed.

Make sense mate?

If the rumored twin-turbo 3.0 Legacy STi comes to the US, the preceding facts would indicate that it would make sense to give it a 5-speed transmission, since it ought to have an even broader powerband than the Legacy-spec turbo 2.5, but I would think that they would toss in the 6-speed just because so many other carmakers are providing it as an option on their cars.

What Subaru should do is spread out the US twin-turbo Legacy STi 6-speed ratios from what the Impreza STi 6-speed has, because of the broader powerband - that should give us lowering cruising RPMs, thereby giving us a less nervous ride at cruising speed, as well as giving better gas mileage.

That would make the most sense to me.

Tim

I totally disagree, I believe if this very same vehicle was being sold in the US or Canada, it would sell very well. More lucky us I suppose.....

Ada///M.

PS.... Has ANYONE seen or have links for the interior of the LSTi ? TIA

I'm not saying that it wont sell well I'm just saying that the wrx STi over here is a badass litle car with 300hp, no sound deadening watersprayer, ect. I was just hoping to se them top it or at least be even with it in the Legacy.

Well yes I do see your point I have to admit. We will be getting the 2.0L here with only 280HP. For mine, thats not bad for a 2.0L. Yes the LibertySTi wont have x y & z but certainly its not a bad upgrade from the stocker GT. With only 300 going to be available in Australia, I would say they will hold their value very well too. Im sure if you visited the STi lads at Docklands here in Melbourne, Im 100% they would be able to rip the boost up to give you some very impressive figures.

Ada///M = Adam.

Archived