LegacyGT.com

manual GT vs 4motion passat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Definitely do it. You can't beat that Volkswagen reliability. And those electrical systems are right out of, um, I don't know what!

Good luck, my friend just bought a brand new vw passat 4motion sedan 3 months ago. A month of ownership he ran over a puddle, flooded the motor, and now the car has been sitting at the dealership for 2 months plus and hes been car-less. He just wrote a letter to the attorney general because vw wont help him out with anything. You would figure an all wheel drive car thats meant to operate through bad weather would be able to tear around in water/ snow apparently vw doesnt think they need to. Food for thought. Personally I think you're crazy for even considering a vw.

My thoughts on this are what I told my friend this last weekend. Car people have a low opinion of Volkswagen because we care about performance, dependability, and build quality. Volkswagen people are not car people. They like an image of quaility, performance and dependability based on marketing, but when it comes down the the actual quality they receive, they really just defend belonging to the greater VW community (because it's a f***ing trend whore cult) and the "comfort" associated with driving a VW. These people don't, however, actually test drive other cars. They continue to plod on thinking that they're getting this great pinnacle of German engineered quality and comforrt.

They're sheep.

This sounds like a troll, but here goes. It's your money and your car, if you really like the Passat, go for it, who give's a rat's? If you're interested in a discussion of the pros & cons, why don't you point out what you are looking for or don't like about your car?

If you are interested in the passat over the O/B, you should probably look at the LGT, bec it is closer (and I think better in many ways than) to the passat. If you don't like the looks or styling of the ob and like the passat, then there's really not much to discuss, is there?

The passat is a good car, but as others have pointed out, VW has not been the most reliable over the last few years. Tough to go wrong, either way, though.

Anyway, comeon and prove you're not a troll, and lets talk about it. There are a good number of other cars to throw into the ring, too, if you're interested.

My girlfriends new Beetle is always having troubles, the turbo whines, the power window buttons break often, the electrical system has some gremlin hiding in it that last friday decided to shut the car off while we were doing 80 on the interstate then back on again like nothing ever happened.

I'd save a few grand and get a LGT....more power, better fitment, great AWD system...what more can you ask for?

JOOC, what is motivating your interest in the Passat? What do you feel is lacking in the Outback and/or is beneficial in the Passat? (This is a serious question.)

I like Passats. They're great cars, except that they've had reliability issues in recent years. That's why I'd steer clear of them at this point in time.

I have the Outback XT, and am thinking on trading in for a new Passat wagon 4motion. Any thoughts?

This sounds like a troll, but here goes. It's your money and your car, if you really like the Passat, go for it, who give's a rat's? If you're interested in a discussion of the pros & cons, why don't you point out what you are looking for or don't like about your car?

My reasoning is my size. I'm 6'6" & very heavy, and sitting in traffic 4 hours every day I have poor leg room, and foot room. Also, the 4motion is uses a torsen differential which is far more sophisticated than the viscous center diff in my 5 speed manual.

Granted I will loose power, though the GLX with tiptronic seemed to hold tthe hills at 80mph better.

I need some positive recommendations here.

My girlfriends new Beetle is always having troubles, the turbo whines, the power window buttons break often, the electrical system has some gremlin hiding in it that last friday decided to shut the car off while we were doing 80 on the interstate then back on again like nothing ever happened.

I'd save a few grand and get a LGT....more power, better fitment, great AWD system...what more can you ask for?

I already have the LGT equiv. The Outback XT. Its too small for me to fit comfortably. Back when I was in college in the 1980's, I had a Jetta GLI, & put over 300k on it with few issues, and even sold it for $4,000.

I like my XT 250hp, and upgraded rear sway bar install, but I'm getting back aches sitting in the seat with little leg & foot room.

If you need more room.....Go with a low mileage / Demo S60R! Better warranty....Better car....Much better Performance;)

If you are looking @ a 06 Passat you will actually walk away with $$ in your pocket... if you go with a 05 S60R

Plain & simple until VW addresses it maintenence problems I would not touch one:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

If you need more room.....Go with a low mileage / Demo S60R! Better warranty....Better car....Much better Performance;)

If you are looking @ a 06 Passat you will actually walk away with $$ in your pocket... if you go with a 05 S60R

Plain & simple until VW addresses it maintenence problems I would not touch one:(

You may be right about the S60, but the only Volvo I am able to fit in that had equal leg room & large seats as the passat wagon is the XC70 cross country--and it's out of my price range, and used its hard to find.

Check EBay You can purchase one for less than a loaded 06 Passat;) A family member purchased a 05 S60R wagon off of EBAY in April he loves it, says he has plenty of room 6"5 285.

He is getting about 25mpg on the hwy:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

wife has a jetta. we love it. has features I wish my car had. almost bought the passat in the fourmotion, but not available in stick. (not sure if it still is). think if i was in the market I'd go with the volvo s60 r.

but if you can't fit into it, oh well. the only thing I can tell you is people who own/ed a vw either love them or hate them. reliability is a factor. if you can get past that, do it.!!!

good luck

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived