LegacyGT.com

any1 else suffer from a constant hazy film on the windshield?

VXCL

It's actually a moisture thing. As a carbon-based lifeform that is 70% water +/-, the air in our lungs is generally more humid than what is in the atmosphere. When you exhale, it heads straight for the windshield and sticks. Consider it a very mild form of condensation. That's why it is not as bad/goes away when the a/c is on. The a/c acts as a dehumidifier.

That's also why putting anti-fog stuff on the inside of the windshield helps. It doesn't allow the condensation to form, b/c it can't "stick" to the glass.

So...your options are:

1. Quit breathing

2. Drive with the windows open/cracked

3. Run the A/C more

4. Learn to live with it and clean the windshield every couple weeks

I have it too from time to time. I bought this today at Target. (4.99)

It is supposed to eliminate interior fogging and steaming. Figure I'll give it a shot.

Hehehehehe... you can use that free wipey to nano wipe your ass.

I don't think that's going to help, but let us know if it does.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Not so sure its from breathing..i run my car with windoows down virtually 100% of the time..aside from moderate to extreme raining. I get the same stuff. Ifi run the a/c real quick it goes away, but the a/c comes off and it comes right back within less than a minute However, i just grabbed some anti-fog shit used on dr.s facemasks for surgery..will see if that shit works or not :)

What we are experiencing is the build-up of fumes from the materials that went into the production of our cars (as stated before). It's a by-product of the "new car smell" that many of us like so much. Usually, it decreases its intensity as the car gets older. On another note, oh noes!!1!!11 We caught teh vapors!!!1!1!11!:lol:
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

When you exhale, it heads straight for the windshield and sticks. Consider it a very mild form of condensation.

condensation is not a new concept to me. What i am talking about is NOT condesation as it is there hot or cold, living critter in the car or not. it just builds up over time. It's the residue from plastic outgassing.

Being a text description with no pics, I'm going on assumptions that this is what the original poster is talking about.

its not a Subaru thing, its a new car thing - new cars contain plastics, vinyls, and glues (some more than others) that go through a period of outgassing that deposits funky crap on your windows. just keep cleaning your windshield, and as others have said, it will diminish over time.

What defines new?....I have 21k on my car......I'm not fighting for this issue I barely see it....and I clean my car all the time.....I'm just curious :D

its more a function of time, rather than mileage. our WRX seemed like it was about a year and a half or so before it kinda stopped.

i would guess driving with your windows down a lot would help, but screw that - its been too damn hot out! :D

+1 for stoners IG

and

+1 for leaving your windows open a lil if the weather permits

Also there is a product made by rain-x called fog-x, i'm gonna try it and see if it has an effect on the 'film effect'

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Take my word for it... FogX isn't worth crap. I have tried it for everything they say it is meant for and it doesn't work at all. Save your money and buy some microfibers to wipe down the glass with. Dry microfiber towels take care of the haze in short order. There isn't any other way to keep it from appearing. I would have found a way if it was possible.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!! feels so good not to be alone. sorry you all have this crappy problem though. windex only works for like 2 weeks or mine is just really bad. and yes i cover the dash from the amonia and i dont use it on my tinted windows. and yeah fogx sux

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!! feels so good not to be alone. sorry you all have this crappy problem though. windex only works for like 2 weeks or mine is just really bad. and yes i cover the dash from the amonia and i dont use it on my tinted windows. this is my first new car so i have never experienced this. non of my friends cars did it though. new 00 ws6 t/a, new 04 bmw 325xi, 04 sl500, 05 rx330. its a good thing the engine is so awesome in this car. i cant get mad about stupid crap when i drive this car cuz the smile is impossible to keep away.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

damn u should be cleaning your car atleast once a week and then u dont have to worry abou tit, problem solved... good car hygene

my paint is beautiful since it gets cleaned at least every weekend or every other. the interior is easy to keep clean, but cleaning the window is such a PITA. i dont like to get in my car when im all sweaty from cleaning the outside. i hate cleaning windshields. i rather spend an hr washing the car then 10 mins on the windshield making sure there are no streaks. i just hate it.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived