LegacyGT.com

Q: Radio Button Cleaning

Recently I needed to clean the climate control unit in my Outback due to spilled soda getting into the buttons. Thanks to all those who assisted me in locating the FAQ on how to disassemble the climate control unit.

Now I'm on to the radio preset buttons. It appears they're likely suffering from the same issue as pushing the five and six presets takes significant effort. Is there a FAQ on how to disassemble the radio so I can clean these preset buttons? The searching I've done results in instructions on how to remove the radio but nothing about disassembling.

Also the backlight to the clock / station LCD display appears to have gone out as well. Not a big deal but if I've got it apart maybe I can fix that too.

Any guidance appreciated.

is replacing the deck an option? you can pretty much plug and play any subaru deck in there

It's a possibility. However unless I could get a really, really good price on it I think I will leave it as it is. The buttons do work but they take a little bit of effort to press.

If there's not FAQ maybe I'll dig into it and pull it apart to make one. If I happen to damage the unit then I'd go get a replacement.

I wouldn't bother with it if it's the factory radio. Even a new fairly cheap unit will have better fidelity than something from the 90's (especially if your Legacy still has the original cassette deck like mine does). I might spill a drink in mine so I need a new one with CD, USB, etc... LOL. Unfortunately need to spend more $ getting it tuned up before I can upgrade the sound system.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I think I'll just pull it and see what it takes to take it apart. If it looks like a difficult job I'll probably just leave it alone (and spray it with the electrical contact cleaner as Tr00b suggested).

That electrical contact cleaner will turn your black button faces grey. Its not meant for plastic. The buttons will pop off. A hook pick will work. Then use the cleaner on the switch, but not the button face
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

That electrical contact cleaner will turn your black button faces grey. Its not meant for plastic. The buttons will pop off. A hook pick will work. Then use the cleaner on the switch, but not the button face

Thanks (I like this way of thanking rather than the forum provided method).

I wouldn't bother with it if it's the factory radio. Even a new fairly cheap unit will have better fidelity than something from the 90's (especially if your Legacy still has the original cassette deck like mine does). I might spill a drink in mine so I need a new one with CD, USB, etc... LOL. Unfortunately need to spend more $ getting it tuned up before I can upgrade the sound system.

i hear ya there, my 95 still has the OEM cassette deck in it. sounds like crap. and to make it worse, i use a cassette adapter for aux input. stupid thing is, i could easily get crazy good deal on a new deck from my friends shop. i just cant justify spending even 50 bucks for a new HU right now.

well you'll be spending just as much for the spray as you would be for a new head unit so what did you really gain here?

Instant gratification :icon_bigg

Seriously, I'm not sure if I'm going to use the spray. I was thanking stevenva for the heads up on having the spray discoloration as I didn't even think of that.

First step is to see what it will take to disassemble and clean it up. Even if I do buy the spray I have other uses for it so it won't be for just this particular issue. Also I did not see a replacement unit for $5.00 on Ebay (the unit posted by twisty is not the component I'm looking to replace).

. Also I did not see a replacement unit for $5.00 on Ebay (the unit posted by twisty is not the component I'm looking to replace).

which component are you looking for? you said the radio preset buttons were sticky, thats a CD player replacement 14-pin deck that will drop right in place of the old cassette decks. it also has many write ups for adding in an aux input so you can play mp3 player/ phone music, which makes it an upgrade from the crappy cassette decks that were stock. i cant find the deck that is in my 95 on ebay either, but i bet if i could it would sound as crappy as the one i already have, even if it did have buttons that werent cracked in half. did that sound too defensive? it isnt meant that way...

which component are you looking for? you said the radio preset buttons were sticky, thats a CD player replacement 14-pin deck that will drop right in place of the old cassette decks. it also has many write ups for adding in an aux input so you can play mp3 player/ phone music, which makes it an upgrade from the crappy cassette decks that were stock. i cant find the deck that is in my 95 on ebay either, but i bet if i could it would sound as crappy as the one i already have, even if it did have buttons that werent cracked in half. did that sound too defensive? it isnt meant that way...

I am looking for the radio / cassette component. On my car the radio / cassette is one unit and the CD player is a separate unit located underneath the radio / cassette.

OK...so I just completed tearing the radio apart, at least the part which allows me access to the radio preset buttons. I was going to do a FAQ on how to disassemble it but it is so ridiculously easy it would take longer to post the pictures than it does to disassemble it

Upon inspection there was some soda spill on the outside of the unit and throughout the front plate. However I did not see any sign of soda around the actual buttons. Pressing each button gave a solid "click" which indicated to me they're not gummed up with soda. I thoroughly cleaned everything, reassembled it, and then reinstalled it in the car.

There is improvement however I can still detect a slight difference with buttons five and six . I suspect there might be some soda which is interfering with the operation of the buttons. So I think I'll stop by Radio Shack and by some cleaner to clean it.

I did notice there is no way to repair the display back light without replacing the circuit board.

I was surprised that those cupholders carried over from the 1st generation when I got my second generation. You would have thought enough people would have complained. I thought I'd never see them again after we sold our '94 Legacy a few years back.

Archived