LegacyGT.com

Upgrading Your Fuel Pump Wiring (4th Gen)

The factory fuel pump relay is in the passenger kick panel. Might be trickier to run the wire from there to the FP, but maybe not. You still have the problem of the voltage drop through the FPCM harness.

Has anyone experimented with running the PWM voltage+ signal from the FPCM straight to the new relay sense input? Most relays have a 25ms delay so with a high frequency PWM signal, the relay should stay latched and not care. I am considering trying this out first. I ran the 12AWG wire from the battery to the fuel pump area. I'm going to perform this experiment this week with extra long wire in case it doesn't work out. Also, a small shunt capacitor could be added to level out the PWM voltage if the relay doesn't stay latched closed.

Edited by Th3Franz

Did anyone consider running a thicker wire from the factory fuel pump relay to the FCM (and then from FCM to the pump)? Essentially replacing the wiring only and avoiding the extra relay? One less thing to malfunction (and the generic relays are often of dubious quality).

If you add the relay for wiring direct to the pump it really is not changing it much from stock.

Stock has a keyed on relay. So power to the coil on the relay and direct feed from that relay to the FPCM.

With that said as small as the wire is feeding the stock relay I would guess that the rating on that relay is pretty small and wouldn't handle the voltage and current draw of the larger pumps.

The way it's being wired now we are just using the old one as a key on signal for turning on the new relay so it should be fine.

Purchase one of the premade kits from DW or aeromotive. Both seem to have good wire and the relays seem robust

Edited by Scooby2.5

The factory fuel pump relay is in the passenger kick panel. Might be trickier to run the wire from there to the FP, but maybe not. You still have the problem of the voltage drop through the FPCM harness.

Has anyone experimented with running the PWM voltage+ signal from the FPCM straight to the new relay sense input? Most relays have a 25ms delay so with a high frequency PWM signal, the relay should stay latched and not care. I am considering trying this out first. I ran the 12AWG wire from the battery to the fuel pump area. I'm going to perform this experiment this week with extra long wire in case it doesn't work out. Also, a small shunt capacitor could be added to level out the PWM voltage if the relay doesn't stay latched closed.

First the positive leg is not PWM, only the negative lead out of the module is.

See original thread.

Second someone did that in the other thread and sometimes the new relay would not turn on.

Its in the last few pages.

Why everyone is trying to come up with a different way to do this all the time is baffling me.

Even the pump manufactures are providing drawings on how to do this for their pumps. The only thing different we are doing is leaving the FPCM in the circuit.

Why we have two threads to keep track of now on the same exact subject is irritating.

We could have just put the write up that was done at the beginning or end of the other thread

Edited by Scooby2.5

No, that thread has tons of good info but its sooo spread out and some of it contradictory/learning process. I'll try to get general questions directed over there & add a note to the OP.

Some of the recent questions/answers could get moved over there maybe...

First the positive leg is not PWM, only the negative lead out of the module is.

See original thread.

Second someone did that in the other thread and sometimes the new relay would not turn on.

Its in the last few pages.

Why everyone is trying to come up with a different way to do this all the time is baffling me.

Even the pump manufactures are providing drawings on how to do this for their pumps. The only thing different we are doing is leaving the FPCM in the circuit.

Why we have two threads to keep track of now on the same exact subject is irritating.

We could have just put the write up that was done at the beginning or end of the other thread

I see now that Turkeylord tried what I had in mind. No doubt the capacitors would keep the relay latched after the key is turned off. So, I'll tap into the black/red wire. I was just looking at a possible easier/cleaner way, but I know better now. :)

By the way franz where did you source the pins. Id like to get some. I cannibalized some other connectors to get mine but would love to have some.

I think it was you that found them?

Edited by Scooby2.5

Yeah I put them in a post on the previous page. I'm planning to finish wiring it all up on Wednesday.

pin: Sumitomo HX|SL|DL Sealed Series 090(2.3mm) 1.25-2.0mm2 Female Terminal [Copper/Tin] 9882

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/sumitomo-hxsldl-sealed-series-09023mm-12520mm2-female-terminal-coppertin-p-9882.html?cPath=19_658_676_681_931

Sumitomo HX/HW/DL/SL Sealed Series 090(2.3mm) Wire Seal 1.7-2.4mm2 [Green] 5mm Dia 10057

seal: http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/sumitomo-hxhwdlsl-sealed-series-09023mm-wire-seal-1724mm2-green-5mm-dia-p-10057.html

I plan to go through this and the other thread and develop a spreadsheet of everything I think I'll need to do this plumb, square and true, end-to-end. I'll post it up when I get through with it. Few other admin things ahead of this, but on my TD list.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ I am about to place an order with Waytek for the relay/socket/fuse/wiring. I think DW's kit is overpriced and who knows what quality relay they are including. I will add part #s.

Btw, I think pins/crimping is definitely the way to go. I have been always under impression that soldering wires is not recommended for car environment.

Give credit to Zorro, for doing this and figuring it out first. When it comes to wiring direct to the pump on the pos side and then leaving the neg PWMS alone.

IMHO 10GA:eek: wire is complete overkill for a 13.7 15-20a circuit. 12ga is more than adequate and fits in the pins much better.

Edited by Scooby2.5
Edited-out deleted quote

^ I am about to place an order with Waytek for the relay/socket/fuse/wiring. I think DW's kit is overpriced and who knows what quality relay they are including. I will add part #s.

Btw, I think pins/crimping is definitely the way to go. I have been always under impression that soldering wires is not recommended for car environment.

Relay seems to be top notch from what I saw. I installed the DW kit.

I am an EE major and work for a one of the 4 main Xray companies Toshiba.

I deal with this stuff all the time and the stuff from DW and Aeromotive seemed to be great stuff.

I personally would crimp and solder the pins but thats just me. I did that as well as heat shrink wrap the connections.

To each his own though.....

No upgraded 12v feed to the FPCM. We only need the FPCM to handle the ground side for PCM fuel pump duty cycle.

We tap into the +B terminal to power our relay's coil, completing the upgraded 12v feed direct to the pump positive side. the positive pump connection to the FPCM is disconnected (I unpinned the terminal).

I'll take a hack at your diagram.

IMHO 10GA:eek: wire is complete overkill for a 13.7 15-20a circuit. 12ga is more than adequate and fits in the pins much better.
Yes, it's not like the stock wiring is burning up as it is, but if the idea is to eliminate as much voltage sag as possible bigger is always better. ;)

Taking a look at the admittedly academic example below, anyone wanting to do this mod can determine their own point of diminishing returns and pick a gauge to go with.

Great point. Just doing a little exercise in the maths...

Assumptions: 30' of wire in the circuit, DW65c pulling 11.65A@45psi, 13.8V alternator voltage, ignoring connection losses. You could expect to see:

18awg: 11.84V

14awg: 12.95V

12awg: 13.25V

10awg: 13.45V

So even with 14awg you'd pick up over 1V. I had the 10awg Green/Yellow laying around so I went with that.

I rolled my own, but that should be everything you need.

Can anyone confirm that the 15' red and 5' black wires are long enough to get the job done?

*EDIT* I'm pretty sure I needed more than that.

Edited by Turkeylord

Yes, it's not like the stock wiring is burning up as it is, but if the idea is to eliminate as much voltage sag as possible bigger is always better. ;)

Taking a look at the admittedly academic example below, anyone wanting to do this mod can determine their own point of diminishing returns and pick a gauge to go with.

Yea I understand the math BUT, 10ga massive wire into the connector pins, through the fuel pump rubber plug etc etc is not worth .2 volts. I am not sure you would even see that much drop on an actual meter.

If you want to pick up a few more tenths of a volt do the diode mod.

13.8 is low for a alternator anyway hence the reason the toyota guys came up with the HBK fuse.

If you have a Braille battery like I do, 13.8 isn't even enough to charge it well according to the Braille specs.

I used 12ga throughout my whole modification.