LegacyGT.com

Upgrading Your Fuel Pump Wiring (4th Gen)

So you put a fuse at the battery and then a fuse at the back off the relay feeding the pump.

Why 2?

I used my (yet to be installed) amplifier power wire. You could run another length of 10 awg to the battery, just be sure to fuse it properly.

The 1/0 needs to be fused within 18 inches of the battery. This protects the vehicle in case the 1/0 shorts to ground anywhere along it's run. It's fused at 200 amps to provide sufficient current for the system I intend to install.

200A is too large for the 10awg to be fused at and would be a fire hazard if a short developed, so it's fused at a more appropriate 20A.

[/b]

The 1/0 needs to be fused within 18 inches of the battery. This protects the vehicle in case the 1/0 shorts to ground anywhere along it's run. It's fused at 200 amps to provide sufficient current for the system I intend to install.

200A is too large for the 10awg to be fused at and would be a fire hazard if a short developed, so it's fused at a more appropriate 20A.

Ok I got ya I guess just wasn't paying attention to the fact you are running stereo feed or what have you to the back.

Edited by Scooby2.5

I had some time tonight, so I thought I'd go get a real life measurement.

My alternator puts out a steady 13.7V measured at the battery.

During a 4th gear pull I'm getting 13.0V at the fuel pump. And again that's with the stock FPCM, the STi module would be higher.

Sorry so potato, but this wasn't an easy pic to snap :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/rSresvSl.jpg

Exactly what I did. Here are some pics of DW kit already run and a pic of one of the pins soldered on a wire (hadn't shrink wrapped it yet).

I like how the DW kit has a relay socket and also a metal loop on the back to use the FPCM nut and bolt to mount it.

I used yellow and red wire. Yellow for the Green/Yellow wire to the pump and Red for the Green/Red wire to the pump. All 12GA

Also SBT the red wire coming from the battery may seem a bit short if you have a wagon but the length of wire on the socket allows it to be just long enough

Thanks for the additional photos. WRT running the +12V (12 or 10 GA) wire from the battery to the rear end, how did you route the wire. Presume through the dash, and under the DS sills, but if there's an easier, cleaner way to go, LMK.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

There's a nice grommet just to the right of the pitch stop mount on the firewall. It's hidden under the firewall insulation. Underdog pointed it out in this post.

Here's mine occupied by boost/O2/wires...

http://i.imgur.com/UHcR9vYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LGI7dDWl.jpg

I ran 1/0 so I wound up going though the fender and into the kickpanel area. Beyond that yes, I ran mine in the driver's side sill area.

Same as turkeylord

Yes you have to have a relay so power is not live to the pump all the time.

This relay needs to be switched "on" by the red and black wire coming from the original fuel pump relay.

I ran the pos batt wire through the firewall at the rubber plug in the middle of the firewall near dog bone.

From there across to driver kick panel area and then down the side of the car. The carpet is held down with the black trim pieces and if you just pull on them they pop off. You will see the factory harness there and just run along with it.

Once you get to the back seat area just follow wiring harness to the back of the car where the FPCM is. You will place the relay there. Then from the relay back to under the seat and over to pump via rubber grommet on drivers side access, then below floor to the pump access.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered some pins and seals to try to route the new 12 AWG wire direct to the plug. I pulled a pin out of a spare connector I have for the fuel pump and it looks identical and measurements check out. The ones below accept larger wire. YMMV. I will confirm once I receive the parts.

pin: Sumitomo HX|SL|DL Sealed Series 090(2.3mm) 1.25-2.0mm2 Female Terminal [Copper/Tin] 9882

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/sumitomo-hxsldl-sealed-series-09023mm-12520mm2-female-terminal-coppertin-p-9882.html?cPath=19_658_676_681_931

Sumitomo HX/HW/DL/SL Sealed Series 090(2.3mm) Wire Seal 1.7-2.4mm2 [Green] 5mm Dia 10057

seal: http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/sumitomo-hxhwdlsl-sealed-series-09023mm-wire-seal-1724mm2-green-5mm-dia-p-10057.html

Edited by Th3Franz

So, by doing this it gives the fuel pump a constant 100% power, or it still does the 33,66,100% power?

It depends on whether you keep the stock or STI FPCM in the circuit or just rewire direct to the pump

Read the last half of the thread and you will know your answer

Is this still only needed for E85 and over 350hp?

Not needed for DW65c and DW740's with a VF52 on 93?

I just bought the DW wiring and the STi FPCM then read the 36 page post...

Great job on the walkthrough though!

Edited by Blaaaaake
English

Is this still only needed for E85 and over 350hp?

Not needed for DW65c and DW740's with a VF52 on 93?

I just bought the DW wiring and the STi FPCM then read the 36 page post...

Great job on the walkthrough though!

I would do it as all aftermarket pumps are rated at about 13.5 volts

Edited by Scooby2.5

Received my 12 awg pins today. Will work on hard wiring the pump tomorrow.

Hey Franz... did the pins fit?

Interested too.

Haven't had a chance to install them just yet. Possibly today. I pulled the factory pin out of a spare harness and the mating portion of the pin is the same dimension as the 12awg pin.

Sounds like a "fit". GTH.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Did anyone consider running a thicker wire from the factory fuel pump relay to the FCM (and then from FCM to the pump)? Essentially replacing the wiring only and avoiding the extra relay? One less thing to malfunction (and the generic relays are often of dubious quality).