LegacyGT.com

MSD coil?

I'm thinking it might improve my idle (currently around 650 RPM pretty consistently. So far- new NGK platinums and wires, new fuel filter, ran Seafoam thru IACV, took MAF out and sprayed it with carb cleaner (looked really clean though). I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the MSD mod since so many have said it improves the idle speed. As for MPG's, I've ranged from 23- 27 MPG this summer. The 23 was with some shorter trips (my wife driving it so God only knows what she was doing) and the A/C running more. I drove it on my 80 mile round trip only last week using A/C only once and got 27.5 MPG- although i would mind improving that if I can :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question I saw from the FSM for 1998- it looks like the EJ22 ha san ignitor assembly built into the coil, but the EJ25 has a separate ignitor assembly. Would the MSD coil need a separate ignitor assembly, or is it built in like in my stock coil?

Also, Looking at the MSD wiring diagram (kind of jumping from the thread from the person with the female coil connections back to here)- I did find the sticky on how to wire it , but but the 1996 EJ25D shown in the PICs has the coil connector on the (US) driver's side, but my EJ22 coil has it on the passengers's side? If I were to install the MSD on my car with the connector on the passenger's side, would my spark plug wire connectors now be reversed?

Also, the sticky mentions that the wires (at least for the EJ25D) go in the same order on the Subaru as they do on the MOPAR connector. Not sure if the colors are universal, but I noticed on his Subaru connector in the picture it looks like the colors are (1) Yellow (2) Red (3) Blue, but the order on mine is (1) Blue (2) Yellow (3) Red. Again, not sure if the colors have meaning, maybe they change from year to year and model to model.

Did anyone who did this mod to an EJ22 have any issues with having to install an ignitor? If I'm understanding right, EJ22's have the ignitor built into the coil, but the MSD coil (and EJ25 coils) do not. Do you need to install an ignitor on an EJ22 when doing the MSD coil mod, or will it work without it (not sure what the ignitor actually does).

If you do need an external ignitor, how do you install it and where is the best place to find an ignitor?

Cool- some dude on You tube talked about ignitors and I saw it somewhere else- wasn't sure what they were talking about. I wasn't sure it's as easy as it looks in the sticky. If I do it I just don't want to miswire it and fry something.

• 4 months later...

Finally did the mod tonight. I wired the new plug backwards from the original Subaru plug since the connector now resides on the drivers side vs. the passenger's side of the coil for the original.

It started it up (had disconnected the negative cable so hopefully the ECU reset) and the idle was rough at around 650 RPM like it has been- no change. The engine was warm at the time. I'll start it up cold later when cold. I did an ECU reset on my Corolla and had a lousier than normal idle until I let it cool down and reset- maybe that will work here.

Finally did the mod tonight. I wired the new plug backwards from the original Subaru plug since the connector now resides on the drivers side vs. the passenger's side of the coil for the original.

It started it up (had disconnected the negative cable so hopefully the ECU reset) and the idle was rough at around 650 RPM like it has been- no change. The engine was warm at the time. I'll start it up cold later when cold. I did an ECU reset on my Corolla and had a lousier than normal idle until I let it cool down and reset- maybe that will work here.

Normal idle for the EJ22 is 712 or around that rpm.

What are your plugs gapped to? Gap them to .036 if you haven't already.

Also, the ECU reset procedure entails the following:

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable & leave it off.

2. Step on the brake pedal & hold it for about 30 seconds.

3. Leave cable disconnected for 30 mins.

4. Reconnect cable, start engine, & allow it to run for 5 minutes (engine will jump straight to 1500-2000rpm to indicate the reset.)

Idle speed is not too far off- usually around 650- 700 RPM- just not smooth.

Put new NGK plugs and wires in a few months gap- I gapped them to specs

Is an ECU reset recommended when doing the MSD coil changeout (I thought I read someone saying you should reset it)? If so, I'll do the full reset per above and see if that makes a difference.

I didn't do more than start it and let it idle because my wife left her van in the way again so I couldn't drive it anywhere.

Idle speed is not too far off- usually around 650- 700 RPM- just not smooth.

Put new NGK plugs and wires in a few months gap- I gapped them to specs

Is an ECU reset recommended when doing the MSD coil changeout (I thought I read someone saying you should reset it)? If so, I'll do the full reset per above and see if that makes a difference.

I didn't do more than start it and let it idle because my wife left her van in the way again so I couldn't drive it anywhere.

Re-gap the plugs to .002 over spec. That extra distance is where you're extra power will come from. The more fuel atomized, the better.

Yes, an ECU reset is recommended even for tune-ups, so anything that has to do with fuel or spark changes would definitely fall under that.

I went ahead and heat shrunk the connectors and routed the new wiring nice and hit the road. I felt maybe a little better pickup (especially when the engine was cold it was 37 degrees outside- usually a bit balky. After about an 8 mile run the idle in gear is still rough and t 650 RPM, out of gear fairly smooth and 750 RPM so no real improvement there. I also did a full ECU reset last night.

I just filled up on my way home yesterday so we'll see the MPG's are with the MSD coil. Actually the last tank of gas was the worst MPG's yet- 22.51 (been running 24- 25 MPG over the winter so far).

• 2 weeks later...

Update- After 3 tanks of gas I seem to have improved to approx 26 MPG (up from 24 MPG most of the winter) which is an all time high for this winter, so I do see some improvement with the MSD coil. It didn't help rough idle at all but I sense better acceleration and maybe a deeper sounding exhaust when it accelerates.

As for attaching it, I couldn't get any two bolts to line up (there are only 3 bolt holes in my EJ22 intake manifold to start with) so there is only one bolt holding it on. I would like to fabricate something to hold it down with at least 2 bolts.

Here's a pic of my install

IMG_0507.JPG

I got a couple of tanks of gas in the 26 MPG range (up from 23- 24 all winter) but this past tank was only about 22- 23 MPG (ugghhh). I did drive more shorter trips this tank, but that shouldn't be much of a difference. I've read where the ECU may retune the engine for a richer mixture with the MSD coil? (even though it still seems to perform the same and I seem to hardly touch the accelerator). If it has changed, how do I get around the issue without having to do an ECU reset every 2- 3 tanks of gas? :-(

I got a couple of tanks of gas in the 26 MPG range (up from 23- 24 all winter) but this past tank was only about 22- 23 MPG (ugghhh). I did drive more shorter trips this tank, but that shouldn't be much of a difference. I've read where the ECU may retune the engine for a richer mixture with the MSD coil? (even though it still seems to perform the same and I seem to hardly touch the accelerator). If it has changed, how do I get around the issue without having to do an ECU reset every 2- 3 tanks of gas? :-(

Your shorter trips are what's affecting the loss of mpg for certain. Do you have any intake mods to back up the MSD coil? If not, then the ECU will tune it to be a bit richer. The MSD coil does work by itself but to get the max you can, you must increase air capacity in the intake. It would also be a good idea to send the PCV gases elsewhere instead of the intake because that also affects gas mileage.

I foresaw the possibility of the ECU enriching the engine & decided that a larger intake tube would likely help solve the issue. Not just the intake either. The exhaust also needs to be modified for the maximum efficiency to be gained from the MSD coil. More air/fuel to be burned per stroke = more energy available per stroke = less energy per rpm required to move.

Lightweight pulleys & flywheels also aid in gaining efficiency from the engine. Even before all of this sets in, how are your tires? PSI? Tread? Something as simple as an influence to your tires can cause mpg loss on that small scale.

I'm sure the short trips cut the mileage, especially in the cold weather. For the first 5 or so miles the engine isn't as spirited as when it's warm, so my 38 mile one way commute to work takes the most advantage of a warmed up engine.

Seen several conversations on here about intake mods- from what I've read, I would favor begin able to replace the intake tube up to the throttle body , but not the stock airbox/ snorkus if that would help the airflow at all. Since the stock exhaust is in good shape, I don't have any plans for mods there.

Tires are new Michelins that I've been keeping at 33- 35 PSI cold.

I would favor begin able to replace the intake tube up to the throttle body , but not the stock airbox/ snorkus if that would help the airflow at all.

Wise move. Hybrid air filters are the best for efficiency as well as a little power. Open end filters are the worst above stock.

The hybrid intake is really good, it will compliment that coil I guarantee you. My 97 22e had amazing mileage at 25 mixed driving and the motor felt really good and responsive. I got mine from andys autosport from weaponR but throw that filter away or sell it to a Honda guy. You can find cheaper alternatives than the weaponR tube, I just didn't know any better before I came to this forum. Remove the snorkus as well, also need a cheapo map adapter plate to put in the inside of the airbox to connect your maf sensor.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003569FU2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394347809&sr=8-1]Weapon-R 806-113-101C Dragon Intake System Subaru Forester 2000-2004:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

Don't let the dates fool you on this one all you would use is the tube hardware and the support they send with it.

Actually is it this one? (one digit different on the PN). Also, can I just hook this in to my existing air filter box/ MAF?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Weapon-R-306-113-101-Secret-Weapon-Intake/dp/B006T25A62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394389457&sr=8-1&keywords=weapon+r%2Csubaru]Weapon-R 306-113-101 Secret Weapon Intake System : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Archived