LegacyGT.com

Engine will not turn over

I have searched a lot of different variations describing my problem but "car' and "wont" are too common of words for the search engine.

Today I came back from the gym and let my car idle for a good 1.5 minutes, turned it off and wiped down the interior for sh!ts and gigs. I then tried to turn it over after it had been sitting for 5 minutes. The dash lights came on and went through the start-up sequence, so I cranked it and all I heard was a click and all the power cut out. After a delay of 30 seconds or so the red ignition courtesy light came back on indicating power was back; weird right? So again I tried to start it and the same thing happened only the power was off for longer. After 2 more attempts and checking for loose cables I decided to get second opinions. I think its a short but I'm not a very good mechanic so any advice or suggestions will really help.

Bad battery connections, and weak/intermittant ground connections can do very, very strange things to vehicles. Common on Subaru vehicles, also. Worst is a chafed wire that goes straight from the + terminal to the starter (have never seen that on a Subie, though). That sucker pulls a ton of juice.

Archived