LegacyGT.com

NEW 2006 Passat 3.8 VR6 280hp 265lbft torque...

I thought the VW brand was the "affordable" one?? :confused:

Who thinks $40k is affordable?

Let's not get into a discussion about the "Phaeton" as well :lol:

Again, thats 40K fully loaded with every box checked on the option list.

V6 models are starting around 29k which means the 4cyl model will probably start in the mid 20s.. which for a mid size german sedan is completly reasonable.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Unless I'm seeing things sideways, when did they turn the Passat into a transverse mounted engine setup. One of the things I liked about the B5 was that it had symmetry to it's AWD system, similar to Audi A4s, A6s, A8s. Why would they go with a different setup when the previous setup was so torque neutral and balanced?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

the new passat is waaayy to big. The current generation though a bit long in tooth, was proportioned really well.

The new engine may be really good, but the car no longer seems like a driver's car like the current one is.

+100

They have ruined a very nice mid-size sedan! And now to add insult to injury they want more money as their quality sinks back to almost that of a Yugo!

I like how it looks. However, I don't like taking cars in for crap that doesn't work and that is what happens when you buy a VW. Autoweek's long term Phaeton had no AC and so did a budy of mine's brand new one. My wife had a Jetta that was a lemon. They have too many problems for me.

I like the look of the wagon better. The sedan looks too much like

the new Jetta...which looks too much like the Corolla.

You guys are funny....at "nearly" $40K fully loaded...please name another

280 hp AWD fully loaded (NAV included) midsized sedan for less...not too mention

a German one?

I mean a "fully loaded" Subaru Outback 3.0 cost nearly $35K and it's smaller (less roomy), less powerful (and probably a whole lot slower) and has less options/amenities than the new Passat.

This car competes with the Infiniti M35 AWD, Lexus GS300 AWD, and BMW 530xi, all of which are more expensive, and probably don't offer any more performance (the M35 might be a tick quicker...but who knows?) And only the BMW if also offered in a wagon.

Just wish they didn't make the car (especially the rear end) look so much like

a Corolla. The prototype car looked MUCH better.

Just wish they didn't make the car (especially the rear end) look so much like a Corolla. The prototype car looked MUCH better.

The prototype looked 10k times better +1 on that....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

This car competes with the Infiniti M35 AWD, Lexus GS300 AWD, and BMW 530xi, all of which are more expensive, and probably don't offer any more performance (the M35 might be a tick quicker...but who knows?) And only the BMW if also offered in a wagon.

VW have a long long way to go (probably further than Subaru) to compete with those makes. BMW and Mercedes have given German cars a good name for sure, but that doesn't mean they are all good. That's like saying Daihatsu make good cars just because they are Japanese.

VW have a long long way to go (probably further than Subaru) to compete with those makes. BMW and Mercedes have given German cars a good name for sure, but that doesn't mean they are all good. That's like saying Daihatsu make good cars just because they are Japanese.

Hey, look at this great Daihatsu car:

http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/news/archive/daihatsu/images/daihatsu_09122003_1.jpg

Daihatsu's folding hard-top Copen is on the road in Britain today - and it comes complete with free heated seats!

The budget fun car first went on show here last year, and has finally made it to the first 200 UK customers.

And because they've had to wait until Christmas for their cars, the company has included the heated seats, leather door trim and a sporty Momo steering wheel into the bargain.

Standard equipment already includes alloy wheels, power steering, twin airbags and, perhaps a little unnecessarily, air-conditioning.

But the party piece is the folding roof, which shares the same sort of mechanism as the Mercedes SLK, Peugeot 307 CC and Renault Megane CC. However, the Copen costs just £12,995.

Initially intended for the Japanese market only, the diminutive Daihatsu was first seen in the UK at the 2002 Birmingham International Motor Show. It proved such a crowd-puller that 1,500 potential customers expressed an interest. This enthusiasm persuaded Daihatsu in Japan to investigate its export potential.

Largely thanks to the perseverance of Daihatsu's UK management, the Copen is now being exported in right-hand drive form only to such diverse markets as Australia and Germany.

I have rented one once in the UK and was a fun little car to drive heheheheheeh

Flavio Zanetti

I wasn't slighting Daihatsu, they do make fun cars, just trying to make a comparison.

Hey, if that little Smart car is selling over here, maybe they should import those too. Did you ever get to see the Suzuki Capuccino while you were there, they are a blast !

http://www.score.org.uk/gallery/nationalrally/nationalrally1/tn/biplane.jpg

Well, we are heading to the local Infiniti dealer for a test drive:) (this will be the wifey's car) I just hope she can get out of the SUV mentality;( & no I will not even consider the new Passat!
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived