LegacyGT.com

NEW 2006 Passat 3.8 VR6 280hp 265lbft torque...

Did you ever get to see the Suzuki Capuccino while you were there, they are a blast !

http://www.score.org.uk/gallery/nationalrally/nationalrally1/tn/biplane.jpg

Suzuki Capuccino.... Hehehehehehehehe

Looks fun too... I love those small and fun little cars to drive sometimes... With they were sold in North America but....

I remember Mercedes was trying to sell the Smart in the State/Canada but that plan never made it through though....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I had a 98 Passat B5 with the 1.8t... great car... I looked at early shots of the B6 and bought an LGT wagon. The B6 is goofy looking... the front overhang is way too long and throws the whole look off balance. The interior looks to have been influenced by newer BMW interiors... not my taste.

And $40k??? There are many other cars I would choose if I were spending $40k.

Suzuki Capuccino.... Hehehehehehehehe

Looks fun too... I love those small and fun little cars to drive sometimes... With they were sold in North America but....

I remember Mercedes was trying to sell the Smart in the State/Canada but that plan never made it through though....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Maybe the Smart is just for sale in Canada then, I see one everyday on my way to work, and know of at least 4 in Hamilton. One even tried to race me, but I let him go as it's not allowed anymore :p

Can't get an MT with AWD:

"VW's 4motion all-wheeel-drive system will also be available with the 3.6 VR6 and would be a worthwhile addition to ensure getting power down effectively, particularly if you live in a snowbelt region. The only thing missing is a six-speed manual transmisssion for those that want to row their own gears- but alas, there are no current plans for one.":(

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

The passat competes with the 5 Series, GS... what planet are you on? It's the same size as a 3 Series.... over here it competes with the Ford Mondeo, too. As for being transverse, they've had an east-west engine for as long as I can remember. On the other hand 40K is an awful lot for a Passat

Until this newest generation, the Passat has been not been a transverse mounted engine, at least not in the U.S.. The Golfs and lesser stablemates have been "East-West" oriented, but not the Passat. That's what made them so balanced and torque-steer-less to drive. Equal length shafts from a transaxle mounted axially similar to Subaru's configuration and definitely like its A4, A6, A8 cousins in the Audi barn. All the pictures I see on VW Vortex and my own recollection seems to support this.

But, unless my eyes are not seeing very well, the new Passat's engine/drivetrain is wrong-mounted. Why would they do this, and give up a core feature, especially in their bread and butter car?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

ok, maybe I've got cofused as the VAG lot spin so many cars off the same platform - The Golf, Audi TT, A3, old A4, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon, Toledo etc, but the new Passat must be off the same platforma as either the new A4 or A6, and they are front wheel drive (aside from the quattros) so it no longer makes sense to mount north south. On the other hand passat's in Europe have never been renowned for their handling (one of my friends had one, I never looked under the bonnet, but the front used to push wide very early in the corners). The leaders for dynamics in that class have always been the Ford Mondeo and, if you spend a bit more, the 3 Series. The Legacy and impreza never seem to come in to those discussions!

It's all about reliability folks, if it is then the faithful will sign up. VWVORTEX is the biggest car forum on the internet.

Dave.

Gumby is correct. Unless VW has turned it completely around with the new Mark V Jetta / Golf and new Passat platforms, then I'd be very, very careful (speaking from experience as a Jetta VR6 owner).

For $40k, I'd be looking at the new IS 350, with just a good interior quality and potentially far better long-term value (and more hp).

You guys are funny....at "nearly" $40K fully loaded...please name another

280 hp AWD fully loaded (NAV included) midsized sedan for less...not too mention

a German one?

a G35X starts at $32,800. check all of the boxes and you're right around $40k. Add Nav for $2k to the base car, if you like, which is pretty well equipped, for a $35k MSRP package. I think most performance enthusiasts would prefer the Infiniti.

I think there might be a domestic that fits the bill, also.

Not to mention, is this thing going to put up Legacy GT numbers? Even if the legacy GT only has 250hp, the hp numbers have the bragging rights, but the performance is what counts. Maybe the legacy GT is a little tighter in the back seat.

After my experience with my wife's VW I just laugh at VW owners. I could have written a book on all the problems we had with our car. It had more problems in the few years we had it then all of my previous cars combined. VW's are a joke. Another friend of mine just parked his leased VW and waited for the lease to end because the amount of trouble he was having with his. I would buy a 40k Hyundai before a 40k VW. Don't even get me started on the 80k VW Phart-on.

Short List:

AC failed twice

window fell into door during 30 degree weather

engine fuse box melted itself causing the engine to overheat

broken trunk latch twice

stereo would blow fuse every six months

Front light would blow out

transmission shifted when it felt like it

2 dead batteries

Broken seat (couldnt get in back seat)

check engine light every five minutes

the list goes on.