LegacyGT.com

LV and Logs, review and some help

gimpydingo

Got my Tactrix so have been doing some logging/test. I drove around for a bit just pulling logs and checking LV just to get familiar and check it out. Here are my logs for my last two 3rd gear pulls with the LV after each. Looks like I have some knock, and I'm sure I've logged more info than I need at this point. Can someone take a look and let me know what you think?

Overall I am trying to find why my tranny is shifting early from 2nd to 3rd in manual/sport mode, does not hit red line most of the time, or come close. But first just want to check the overall vehicle from the logs.

Also, which I will do some searching on the romraider site as well, some information I cannot log in logger, such as boost error, knock sum, any one with an * next to it, they show the ECU trying to connect and some error message. Am I unable to log these?

Thanks!

3rd Gear Pull romraiderlog_20130707_121158.csv

3rd Gear Pull romraiderlog_20130707_121346.csv

1970282377_LearningView_SS_A2UI001C_2013-07-07121317.jpg.4d725de2e57b9618fcc65699fbac5027.jpg

377798215_LearningView_SS_A2UI001C_2013-07-07121817.jpg.369e970cd4482cc6b320bb1c42a01e24.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are in bad shape. AFR trims look fine, but your IAM is significantly below 1. List any and ALL mods on your car, and any tuning that might've been done on the car.

At 0.5625 IAM I would think that boost control would be fully disabled and you'd be on WG boost but it's clearly not, hmm.

Also log FBKC and Knock Sum along with FLKC. Remove A/F Learning #3, Rear O2 sensor V, all and all your Roughness Monitors.

I usually recommend these for an overall health log:

A/F Learning #1 (2-byte)** (%)

A/F Sensor #1 (2-byte)** (estimated AFR)

Boost Error* (psi)Engine Load (4-Byte)* (g/rev)

Engine Speed (rpm)

Feedback Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Fine Learning Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Gear (Calculated)* (position)

IAM (1-byte)** (multiplier)

Ignition Total Timing (degrees)

Intake Air Temperature (F)

Knock Sum* (count)

Manifold Relative Pressure (4-byte)* (psi relative)

Mass Airflow (g/s)

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (%)

Target Boost (4-byte)* (psi relative sea level)

Throttle Opening Angle (%)

Turbo Dynamics Integral (4-byte)* (absolute %)

Turbo Dynamics Proportional (4-byte)* (absolute %)

The TD and Target boost, and boost error parameters are optional unless you are having boost control issues.

Note the exact name of these parameters. Some will not show up until your laptop is actually connected to the car.

Not looking so good. And of course it didn't log the gear, which would have been nice. I'll do some more pulls later. I did a 1st through 3rd gear pull, which it early upshifted, having the gears logged would be nice for this, and two 3rd gear pulls.

1st - 3rd Pull romraiderlog_20130707_145759.csv

3rd Pull romraiderlog_20130707_150305.csv

3rd Pull romraiderlog_20130707_150459.csv

294192287_LearningView_SS_A2UI001C_2013-07-07150423.jpg.45b78803b323300454dc32fa75fe2a15.jpg

699957883_LearningView_SS_A2UI001C_2013-07-07150925.jpg.3e2201efccc5eecdde73523607121230.jpg

Don't do pulls, your IAM is already low. Have to figure this out first. Need answers to my questions. You are overshooting your boost target at one point by almost 3 PSI. What hardware is on your car because it's clearly not stock.

What's the meaning and causes of a low IAM? Would a larger non tuned turbo cause this? Ive been under the car, everything that I've seen is stock. Haven't really looked at the turbo when i had pulled off the heat shield a whole back, is been put back on.

Well you're overshooting, for whatever reason, and I doubt it's the K&N causing it, even though I would personally advise you to ditch the K&N and go back to a stock paper filter.

Something else is going on that is causing you to overboost. The tune looks stock based on your logs, at least the targets, so that leads me to believe that your hardware was modified improperly.

Could be any of the following:

Restrictor pill in the boost control system's line is wrong size

Wastegate actuator was upgraded with a stiffer one

Leak in the line that goes to the WG actuator, cause the WG to not open up enough

Turbo is not stock

The cause of a low IAM is almost always knock. Either the ECU sees knock all over the place, so it just drops IAM to remove timing across the board, or it sees some heavy, heavy knock in one area that it feels merits an IAM drop.

just replace the line if you can get your hands on a short length of the right size. clamps are small so be careful removing the line.

another thing to add to the list of possible causes: aftermarket BCS installed without a tune.

He could be overboosting like that because in places he's running at 0.5* timing, which means the charge is probably still burning as it passes the valves! He basically has anti-lag on this point :D

OP, if you carry on driving the car like this you will roast the exhaust valves.

Perhaps you could load a copy of the stock ROM in ECUflash and compare to the image on the car to confirm you are indeed unmodified?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^-- Interesting. Never even occurred to me...

On that note, I looked up stock ROM for 07 LGT and boost control doesn't disable until IAM hits 0.200! That's crazy... On an 05 LGT, it's 0.35, which still sucks....

Stock tune sucks? Hold the front page!!

;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Haha yeah yeah I should've known. :p Just always thought it was somewhere around 0.65 or something, not 0.2....

Anyways, I found a stock ROM for his car but not the exact same ROM ID. I only found A2UG000C here and he seems to have A2UI001C

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7591

Maybe just compare the tables individually, although the new RR (beta) has a rudimentary table vs table comparison system that'll check the whole ROM.

I don't have that ROM unfortunately, but it seems the only change in it from A2UI000C is some logic related to the VDC warning light. Editable parameters should be the same.

just looking at the lv... never noticed this before - there are flkc cells for 12,000+ rpm?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

just looking at the lv... never noticed this before - there are flkc cells for 12,000+ rpm?

Yes, and resolution on the load scale isn't ideal either. It's one of the many things any self-respecting tuner fixes.

I'll compare the rom I pulled to the available rom. If the ECU was edited you would think that Subaru would have noticed at one point, since I've had them look at various things and they have reset the ECU and TCU and one point.

I'll go about my checklist this week and weekend. I did find this to assist in me locating a few things. :)http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70674.htm

Checklist:

BCS aftermarket

Replace WG line

Turbo swap

Restrictor pill

Wastegate actuator upgrade

What can I do about the restrictor pill? In terms of checking it.

And for the WG line, just replace the line coming off the T to the WG?

Thanks again!

Yeah. My dealer failed to notice a turbo upgrade. For two years. Very observant people. ;)

You can squeeze the pill to the end of the hose and check the diameter of the hole with a drill shank.

1.2mm IIRC. Maybe an '07 pilot can confirm?

I did just get gas today as well. Would you also suggest me using LV to reset the ECU and go for another drive, then log to see if there is any change. Just in case it was a case of bad gas? Since I've never logged anything prior to this.

Archived