LegacyGT.com

to those who doubled up on rear spring pads

VXCL

from looking at the pad its almost at least 1/2" thick. i def dont want to raise the car up in the rear by that much and how much is that going to effect preload?

im thinking of picking up a set of sti pinks and running the prova springs up front and pinks in the rear. or should i jut try the extra pad?

i would like to raise the rear up about 10mm

current setup

jdm spec b rev a bilsteins

sedan provas

oem spec b wheels and tires (which accounts for wheel gap issue due to larger overall diameter vs the oe 17s and 215/45s)

what you think?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say try the pads. Cheaper than new springs!

They will compress a bit over time cause they're rubber.

When I swapped my shocks I was pretty shocked at how much they had compressed (to almost 1/2 their height).

I'd say try the pads. Cheaper than new springs!

They will compress a bit over time cause they're rubber.

When I swapped my shocks I was pretty shocked at how much they had compressed (to almost 1/2 their height).

really it compresses? i mean the one thats on there now is def not compressed. im also scared about how secure it is. with one its held in place by both the force of the spring and the top hat it slides into, but adding another above it will rely soley on the force of the spring and adj preload.

my springs are already rated at 6.7kg so i dont think i want any preload. i dont know. pinks will be another $250 at least so not sure. ill prob just leave it for now, but i def would like to change it.

also i like the 215/45 size sidewall so going 225/40s to increase the gap doesnt sit well with me. i dont want a thinner sidewall then what i have now so. i dont know. trying to come up with a solution.

false

and for robe the the springs all have a rubber seat on the top hats so adding another would increase the over length of the shock and raise the car.

truth

upon installation i realized that the extra pad increases preload on the rear spring which keeps it from compressing as much as it would thereby raising the car. the position of the top mount never changes. duh!! anyways figured i would correct my wrong statements

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The spring seat has a steel washer inbedded in it (at least the JDM one that I used did).

Cut that steel out and it will only raise your rear by about 10mm. It will also allow the rear spring to get a little bit of the lip on the bottom of the shock that holds it in place. I hope that makes sense.

Worked very well for me.

from looking at the pad its almost at least 1/2" thick. i def dont want to raise the car up in the rear by that much...

i would like to raise the rear up about 10mm

I'm no mathematical genius here, but you do realize that the difference between 1/2 inch and 10mm is only 2.5mm, right? - You won't be able to pick that up visually from 5 feet away.

I say just go for the double spring perch; I don't think it's as big of a lift as you think it will be. I've been running doubled up on my iON's for a year and a half now and am very happy with the look and ride.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I'm no mathematical genius here, but you do realize that the difference between 1/2 inch and 10mm is only 2.5mm, right? - You won't be able to pick that up visually from 5 feet away.

I say just go for the double spring perch; I don't think it's as big of a lift as you think it will be. I've been running doubled up on my iON's for a year and a half now and am very happy with the look and ride.

i was estimating. the pad actually looks thicker then .5" and 10mm is about the max i want to go up.

ill def look into this when i replace the one top hat i stupidly snapped the bolt off of.

also we are all talking about the pad up top right? becuase i haven't seen anything on the bottom other then the spring perch itself.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The spring seat has a steel washer inbedded in it (at least the JDM one that I used did).

Cut that steel out and it will only raise your rear by about 10mm. It will also allow the rear spring to get a little bit of the lip on the bottom of the shock that holds it in place. I hope that makes sense.

Worked very well for me.

i assume the usdm spec b is running the same pad then? i know the top hats for it are jdm spec for the fronts

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Did you let it break in before you measured it?
I just measured the increase in total thickness of two pads nested together vs a single one. Probably a little compression of the pair after settling so final rise somewhere between 1/2" and 5/8".

• 1 month later...

finally got around to adding another pad. at first i thought how the hell is this going to work since the overall length of the shock is the same and then i remembered the whole spring aspect and by adding preload the spring wont compress as much and therefore raise the car :) anyways worked out great and now i have a 1 finger gap all around.

thanks for all the help

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

b4 adding rear pad

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1489/img2257qz7.jpg

doesnt look too much different from that as you cant tell the rear is slightly tucked in that pic. sorry thats all i have. need to wash the car and finally take some pics of the final setup. it rides even better then it looks :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

i got a noob question: what is this pad you speak of?

I have my stock struts off I will take a picture when I get home if no one else does.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 4 weeks later...

final pics

JDM Spec B Rev A Bilsteins

-Prova Sedan Springs

-double rear spring pads

-Spec B 18's with RE50's

(1 finger gap all around)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1118.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1102.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1106.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1094.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1111.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_1100.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/provas/IMG_9039.jpg

Ride is 10000x better then stock. It no longer feels like I'm crashing into a brick wall everytime I hit a bump. Car is solid and composed especially on highway. Highly recommend to anyone. Not a single passenger (from the girl to my grandparents!) has complained about ride quality :) Perfect combo.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Bump for more pics of anyone with 2 rear spring seats.

Here you go; stock struts w/ iON springs & double rear spring perch = perfect stance!

DSCN2409.thumb.JPG.a5d1ec40004bbfe0e19db65820b17889.JPG

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

So how do you like the ride, do you have alot of bumps/potholes/shitty streets like we do In ma? How much are the Tokicos? Oh and front lip skirt??? Thanks mang.
I'm very happy with the ride, both daily driving and the occasional HPDE at the track.

Some roads can get pretty bombed-out during a typical winter and city streets can be bad any time. The nice thing about the Tokico HTS set is that they are easily adjustable so you can experiment and match them to the springs you're using and the roads you'll be driving. FastWRX.com has them for $649.

The add-on STi lip skirt is ~$100 at JapanParts.com.

Tein H-Tech springs

Tokico HTS shocks & struts

JDM/Spec B front topmounts

2x rear spring pads

STi front lip w/STi front lip skirt

JDM rear lip spoiler

why do you need 2x spring pads? i had H-Tech's and car was level. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived