LegacyGT.com

HID conversion for fog lights

DCD

My 3.0R has the most useless front fog lights. Need to do something quick as winter is fast approaching.

So my question is, will the stock lense take the exta heat of a xenon bulb? Will I risk melting it?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want HID fogs a basic kit will do fine just raise them a little and you should be fine, or you can get your self a set of mini proj's and retro those babys in there. And you will be just find.ALso if you want ambers, go with a set 3000K burners.
Mr.350

Mat do you have something personal against fog lights, they dont mean to offend you there just little sparkly lights lol

WTF you need fogs in winter? Is your winter foggy all the time?

I hope you don't intend to drive with them on all the time.

Mr.350

Mat do you have something personal against fog lights, they dont mean to offend you there just little sparkly lights lol

Yes, I definately do. Not particulary about LGT ones (these are tiny and weak) but I need to deal every day (now that days are short) with bunch of inconsiderate drivers that keep driving with fog lights on in clear conditionds and cause glare. There is no excuse for that - it's loose-loose situation. Glare for others and impacted field of vision of the driver of the car WITH fog lights on - they lit immediate vicinity of the car, where driver should not be looking in the first place.

I find Outback fog lights particulary offensive due to the large area.

In Europe driving with fog lights when conditions not warrant that are pretty much guaranteed ticket. I wish it was like this here.

speaking for experience - running HIDs in the fogs is fine. Those little projectors do not make much (if any) glare at all to oncoming traffic. They DO sit low, but the output with even stock 35 watt densos is decent.

I am not looking to start some huge debate here on the why's and why not's and should and should not's... I am just sharing what I have personally found. To each their own so long as it doesn't present a saftey issue - and here, in this case it does not.

Are the HID fogs mostly for bling? sure. I will admit that... but they look so damn cool that I just HAD to do it :icon_cool plus they DO add SOME useable light. Not the best bang for the buck light-wise... but they do look fine as hell.

Plus... "My name is Drew, and I am an HID addict." :wub: I loves the HID.

Again... not looking to flame or be flamed here - just sharing what I have personally found, and personal preference.

Cheers,

Drew

There are worse glare coming from people's headlights that are as bright as high beams...

OMG, yes!!! But the fact that someone else is an asshole, is an excuse to be a little asshole? What a logic... :rolleyes:

I thought our lights are driving lights, and not fog lights? to be tru fog lights don't they need to be yellow and have a different pattern?

http://piaa.com/images/lamp-select_04.gif

http://piaa.com/images/lamp-select_06.gif

So if we have driving lights, then we should be OK??

This is in reference only to the Legacy.

X

---

I still don't see how a light that has a max height of maybe 9 inches from the road's surface, aiming down is going to cause glare for anyone!

I don't mean just the stock wattage either. If you retro-fitted a lighthouse beacon down there, it's still TOO LOW to hit anyone in the eye.

And finally, I don't believe in the theory that "near-field illumination hurts long distance perception." It's crap. Just because I want to see far away doesn't mean I no longer need to see close to me too. You must not have deer like we do here; you need light on the edges of the road.

I still don't see how a light that has a max height of maybe 9 inches from the road's surface, aiming down is going to cause glare for anyone!

you are absolutely correct. And the seal on the deal is to stand in front of my car when they are on and stare right at them. NO glare. Period. End of story.

Yeah, bling, my ass. You are retarded my friends if you think your fog lights look cool.

Extra light without proper cutoff MEANS extra glare. PERIOD.

sweet Jesus man, what is with the unnatural, near freakish hatred of fog lights?? :icon_mrgr

And really, for the record "Retarded" is not a nice word to use as an insult either by the way - really, that is pretty cold. How about something like "ass hat" or "dick head" or "dipshit" or something that doesn't makes light of someone's disability that they have no control over.

It is the weekend mon! Relax a bit! :icon_cool and use more appropriate insults.

Yeah, bling, my ass. You are retarded my friends if you think your fog lights look cool.

n0 WaYY D0od, Y0uR wr0nmg and tEH DUm SUx0r f4R T1NkNG LikE suCh!!!

:icon_roll

The next time I want FACTS on HID fog lights, I'll tell it to you.... OK?

We've done A LOT of testing in our light labs with Xenon based fog lights. There is NOTHING wrong with a Xenon fog light, providing that the burner orientation is correct. All too often, people throw rebased Xenon bulbs (e.g. “kits”) into fog lights where the burner is completely misaligned to the original reflector design (remember: even a projector has to have the burner aligned to its reflector base). When the burner element is further forward than originally designed (most often the case), the focal point from the reflector shifts upwards and can produce some extra glare. If the burner is further back than designed, there will most likely be significant “hot spots” on the ground immediately in front of the projector. If you spend the time to properly space out and align a Xenon bulb, there won’t be any more glare than a standard 35W bulb. As for the color selection… yeah, we done some studies with that as well. Contrary to popular belief, a 4300°K bulb is still a better choice in inclement weather verse the more “yellow” 3000°K bulb.

A lot of people seemed to be confused with “how” the human brain reacts to forward lighting. We all think we are looking at the lit sections of the road ahead of us. In actuality, our brain is telling us to look beyond what we can already see. We’ve even gone as far to study the human eye movement in relation to shifting focal points of projected light patterns. With fog lights, the concentration is immediately in front of the car. This is done to give the drive some sort of forward lighting. Remember, the brain is telling to eyes to look at what it can’t see. Since normal headlights don’t do much in bad weather, the fog lights are giving the driver some sort of lighting, rather than confusing the brain without any type of concentrated light.

(We = a German company I just happen to work for) :icon_wink

Hey, I have nothing against Xenon fog lights :rolleyes:. I am sure these are superior to regular fogs.

I am against using ANY fog lights in non-foggy/heavy rain conditions.

Hey, I have nothing against Xenon fog lights :rolleyes:. I am sure these are superior to regular fogs.

Apparently you DO...

Apparently you DO...

Sorry, if I was misunderstood. I am sure biased because a good number of drivers in my area use fog lights for the "coolness" or whatever factor without considering that it gives no help (or is deterimental) to the driver himself and is source of glare for oncoming traffic. Some members here don't think there is anything wrong with running with fogs on regardless of conditions. I disagree with that strongly.

There is a reason why these lights are called fog lights and there is a reason why there is a separate switch for them.

That's all.

Wow, another fog light thread... must be winter again.

Our fog lights are aimed low on purpose to highlight the road in front of the car to show us specifically where we are in conjunction with the road itself, to keep us all safely in our lane and not killing ourselves (or oncoming drivers) in serious fog conditions.

I do agree with Unclemat in the fact that so many people drive around in the city on a clear night (and middle of the day too!) with headlights and driving / fog lights on... when it's not necessary.

My city has a law where extra sets of lights are to be only turned on while travelling on the highway, or during inclement weather conditions that actually warrant such extra lighting. It's a ticketable offense over here...

wow I can't believe some of the posts on this thread! My fog lights point down and light up no more than 2.5 to 3 m of the road so I really can't understand what all the "glare" posts are about. Don't get angry with people using fog/driving lights, get angry with people not adjusting them correctly!

Anyway, I've found a few kits and they are all way too expensive than what I want to spend and in fact only one has an H3 HID bulb kit available. So maybe just sticking to regular bulbs but with slightly more power and higher K temp to match the factory Xenon headlights.

Not sure which country you are referring to, there's lots in Europe.

Very common in the UK, and I never got a ticket in 20 years.

Poland and Germany - two countries I spent most time driving in Europe.

Use of fogs in clear conditions pretty rare there.

HID'ing the fog lights is useless and overkill. The throw pattern is waaaay too low and most of the useable light gets scattered around. I've got 130 watt bulbs with yellow covers over the lens, and that works pretty well.

over kill is 130watts on your stock harnesses :lol:

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

for the ones that down have hid fogs, and dont have experience...with it...why are you posting? ih here :lol: j/k

i have HID on mine and there isnt glare, its bright, really bright, but i have them pointed down to the most paort so, ianothing to worry about...they pretty much cover the foregroung that isnt covered by the lows

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4503/p1000638wn6.th.jpg

keep in mind that the picture was taken wiht a long exposure...causing the light to do that

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Archived