LegacyGT.com

Battery Issue?

Not quite sure what the issue is, but i'm pretty certain its battery related. My battery was testing low the last time i brought it into the dealership, and then the car started having some real problems starting. I replaced the bettery, and figured all was well. Not the case. About a week ago, the car wouldn't start at all, not even with a jump; luckily its a 5 speed so i was able to get a nice rolling start and just pop the clutch.

The next step was to replace the positive battery terminal. This also seemed to fix the problem - the car started fine for about a week.

Tonight, when i got out of the car, the keyless entry could barely lock the doors, and then of course, barely unlock them either. The initial turn of the key turned all of the dash lights on, but that was it. I turned it off, and tried again - nothing.

I feel like its still a battery connection issue, but i really have no idea. I do not think its the starter, because a few jiggles of the positive terminal, and i had lights and clicks, just no full start.

Any input is much appreciated.

Jesse

Does the ground cable appear to be attached snugly? What kind of battery did you put in? I know when I replaced my oem battery (to an autocraft gold), I had to remove the plastic ring from the end of the ground cable in order for the terminal to fully clamp down on the post. It's hard to see, but I tried to outline it in the attached picture.

*I just wanted to add that what I'm thinking is maybe the ground terminal is barely hanging on to the bottom part of the post, which I think might be slightly thicker than the rest of the post, because the plastic ring prevents the terminal from getting a tight enough hold on the post. Over the course of a week the ground terminal might start to slip upwards on the post a bit, where the terminal is unable to maintain solid contact with the post, causing the funny problems.

groundterminal.png.f86b1330d668963a53713867bae15feb.png

I replaced it with an autocraft, as well. I'm pretty sure my issue lies in the terminal as well, but the positive terminal. The existing one was shot, so i replaced that as well, when I did the battery. It must be moving around a bit as I drive (unfortunately, the roads are not very flat in Vermont). About 5 minutes with an adjustable, and the car fired right up.

Thanks a lot for your input here.

You need to buy a $3.00 battery terminal cleaner brush, then after you attach both the freshly cleaned cables, that you have tightened, put grease over, around and under the terminal to keep moisture out.

Any old Vermonter can tell you that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not quite sure what the issue is, but i'm pretty certain its battery related. My battery was testing low the last time i brought it into the dealership, and then the car started having some real problems starting. I replaced the bettery, and figured all was well. Not the case. ........

Is your new battery being charged? As an initial test, with the engine at idle speed, your battery voltage should be 14.1 - 14.8 volts at 68 degF.

Archived