LegacyGT.com

forcing a check engine light

does anyone know of a safe, easy to to force a CEL? i'm a bit worried that there is a glitch somewhere. couple weeks ago i was having issues which turned out to be the o2 sensor - it never threw a code but the tuner and shop determined the issue. they completely unplugged the sensor and sent me to limp away back to work before returning to replace it later that day. the entire time, even with the o2 completely unplugged, no CEL ever appeared which i though was certainly... off.

any easy and quickly reversible way i can force a code to make sure my computer is still registering issues?

i can put anything i want down here?!

Does the CEL light up during the initial key-on gauge sweep?

You could always unplug the EGT probe (or remove the resistor if you've gone that route). This is assuming you haven't tuned it out of the ECU calibration...

Tons of stuff you can unplug to set a CEL...

If the light is out, replace the bulb.... But just pull all code to make sure it is in fact setting a code.

If you are referring to the bulb on our gauge cluster, our car is using LEDs. So there's almost no way the LED will be dead.

I've never heard of such an issue. HOWEVER, when I bought my car some dishonest punks (who rebuilt the car) put some tape over the airbag warning light so they could save a $1000. Found that out three days after buying it :mad:

tampered.png.9c417e950dc2e7098879d4c25659ec34.png

yeah, guess i was in a hurry, or not paying attention, but the light does indeed illuminate at startup. so now i gotta unplug the maf and see if it throws a code. if not, i'm wondering just what the hell is going on that my car won't report any codes :/
i can put anything i want down here?!

Archived