LegacyGT.com

Power Mode vs Regular - a brief review

So, a while back I decided to see what all the buzz was about with the power mode mod on the 4EAT transmission. I set it up with a little switch under the dash and have driven with it on for most of the last three months. It sure makes sporting around town fun and it really feels like it makes the car faster. I've driven "sport" mode on other automatic cars and this is far more potent.

That said, after a few months I'm sick of it. It was fun for a while but when I'm just commuting it can be downright annoying. I feel like I'm always waiting for the car to upshift and it never does until I'm barely on the throttle. Give it a little gas and it drops gears and shoots up to 4k rpm+. It's nice for passing someone but it really started to feel like I was putting the engine and transmission through a lot more stress than it needed.

I turned power mode off at the end of a tank of gas and recorded 21.4 MPG for the

. I'm most of the way through my tank with power mode off and my fuel economy average is up to over 24 mpg. All I really do in the car is commute and run errands so the difference isn't due to change in driving style.

Anyway, this is probably just a "cool story bro" but if anyone has had similar experiences with getting tired of power mode, feel free to discuss. Hopefully this will be useful information for anyone who's considering the mod.

So, a while back I decided to see what all the buzz was about with the power mode mod on the 4EAT transmission. I set it up with a little switch under the dash and have driven with it on for most of the last three months. It sure makes sporting around town fun and it really feels like it makes the car faster. I've driven "sport" mode on other automatic cars and this is far more potent.

That said, after a few months I'm sick of it. It was fun for a while but when I'm just commuting it can be downright annoying. I feel like I'm always waiting for the car to upshift and it never does until I'm barely on the throttle. Give it a little gas and it drops gears and shoots up to 4k rpm+. It's nice for passing someone but it really started to feel like I was putting the engine and transmission through a lot more stress than it needed.

I turned power mode off at the end of a tank of gas and recorded 21.4 MPG for the

. I'm most of the way through my tank with power mode off and my fuel economy average is up to over 24 mpg. All I really do in the car is commute and run errands so the difference isn't due to change in driving style.

Anyway, this is probably just a "cool story bro" but if anyone has had similar experiences with getting tired of power mode, feel free to discuss. Hopefully this will be useful information for anyone who's considering the mod.

You're correct in everything that you have said here. However, power mode isn't really supposed to be used on a daily basis, well, at least not during a normal commute. It's like the car is always saying, "I'm waiting..." when you drive around normally with the power mode on.

Yeah. I only turn mine on when I need it. Be that getting by someone in a short period of time, or in hilly or spirited driving. It works wonders, and I agree that it is definitely VERY aggressive and more dramatic of a change than in any other car I have ever driven. The point about it making the car feel significantly more powerful is entirely correct, too.

The cup holder mod is epic.

I haven't been able to find one. just snooping to see what others did. Mines a hanging switch for now, I'll pull a ecu pin wednesday when i go to the yard again. til then I'll just try it out.

Oh and I know I asked this before but I'm not sure if anyone noticed. On the newer second gens, (now that I look we all have 98s)

Do our cars have a light that says 'Power' on the dash when powers engaged or is it just the like pre95s? I've only seen the light on in pictures with the clusters that have the drive selection on them.

• 2 months later...
Anyone find and or use one of the JDM power switches?

[ATTACH]155054[/ATTACH]

someone just pulled one out of a yard i think.. was it you? lol

Thats mine. I got it from someone who brought it back from Japan. Its from a 3rd gen. Its wired up for power mode but not hold. Here is the finished product:

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/98legwag/20130810_133705_zps7a8f3d81.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived