LegacyGT.com

ac accumulator

does anyone know where the ac accumulator is on a 2009 legacy with non turbo? ac system has been open for awhile and with the warm weather coming it is time to get it fixed. thanks.

also i bought a used ac compressor and i need to know what kind of oil to use and how much.

Accumulator is the big silver can that is on the A/C lines, usually in the passenger side rear corner of the engine bay. You will want to use PAG oil and depending on where you live will dictate the viscosity of the oil. Ask your parts store which viscosity they sell the most of where you live and purchase that.

Accumulator is the big silver can that is on the A/C lines, usually in the passenger side rear corner of the engine bay. You will want to use PAG oil and depending on where you live will dictate the viscosity of the oil. Ask your parts store which viscosity they sell the most of where you live and purchase that.

i dont see the can. i have traced all the ac lines and i cant find anything. when looking for the accumulator on rock auto it is showing what looks to be a cartridge of some type.

I think what you're looking for is actually attached to the ac condenser on our cars, the cylinder on the left hand side in the first attached picture. I see the drier/accumulator part that rockauto lists, and from the pictures I've seen it looks like you put that inside the cylinder.

2005-2009legacyaccondenser.jpg.898134dd318d1f44c5acebc7a65e7b62.jpg

acdrier.jpg.f5caacffeaf902b871458f8fdcd870ff.jpg

Yes that is the drier, it is basically a dessicant that acts as a dryer and a filter. You will want to replace that with the compressor, before you pull vacuum down and charge it with 'fridge. And check/clean the expansion valve at a minimum, replace if necessary.

On a lot of vehicles, it is a big aluminum can that sits between the evaporator and the compressor (LOW pressure side). It's the can that gets ICE COLD and sweats (exterior condensation) like crazy inside a hot engine bay too.

You need to read the FSM about the HVAC system. It recommends Denso Oil 8. I don't know if that crosses to PAG oil or not, but PAG oil comes in different weights, 46, 50, 100?

Normally there is a sticker in the engine bay that talks about AC oil and R134a amounts.

The FSM says min 370g (0.82lb) and max 430g (0.95lb) of R134a, and to maintain 18-28psi LOW and 213-242 psi HIGH with ambient conditions of 86-95 deg F.

Archived