LegacyGT.com

Trouble reassembling steering shaft after bushing install

I am installing the avo steering rack bushing kit and while it hasn't been too difficult so far, I have hit a snag when putting the steering shaft back into the coupling.

It will go in maybe 1/4", up to the point where the teeth start up again. I have tried pushing it back in while the steering rack is unbolted, partially bolted, etc. at last I decided to straighten as best I could with the coupling and tighten the bolt but one turn of the wheel and it's clear the shaft and coupling are not right.

Any tips for getting the reassembled? I'm pretty sure the shaft went in up to where I marked the position with tape. Do I need to remove that bolt completely? It is finger loose in this photo.

I have read reviews and instructions and searched for trouble with this step. I really appreciate your help!

2008 3.0R

image.thumb.jpg.17d5d6b83f3212a42d7f6ba95319e751.jpg

I would start by removing the pinch bolt,yes. It should slide on no problem. I want to say when I did mine the rack had to be loose to slide the shaft back together. Also looks like you had better luck than I did,my pinch bolt was rusted in and broke on the way out so I had the pleasure of drilling it and extracting it.

I backed the bolt all the way and that allowed it to go in all the way. I guess that bolt not only pinches but slots into the groove in the shaft. Thanks!

So you figured out why there is a slot in the shaft. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes sir. What threw me off was that the shaft came out initially without removing the bolt entirely, so I did not consider it necessary for reassembly.

The kit is nice... what's the next best bushing to replace, that lower control arm bushing that people refer to as a tennis ball?

Archived