LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Running Lights/Fog Lights

Hey,

I've bought some LED 'Running Lights' and plan to install them in the fog light holes below the bumper. After pulling my dash apart to change the color of my Instrument Panel I noticed there is a spare set of wired in there ready to be plugged into a switch. Just wondering if these run down to somewhere that I can wire the running lights to? Any idea where and how?

Thanks

1. Combine ground wires and pick a spot to ground to.

2. Combine positive leads from the lights and wire them to a 15amp inline bus fuse.

3. Run the wire from bus fuse into 2 pin switch @ rated amperage (15a) on the one post.

4. Find a spot that gets power only when accessories or power is on. (Use a test lead and just check by turning the car on and off)

5. Splice into the power you find and run that to the other open spot on your switch.

All done!

Be sure that if your lights use a different amperage to use the one they recommend.

Its hard to say if the unplugged connection you found would be usable. I used the power from the empty plug of where my power mirror control would be.

I have my LED running lights attached to my parking lights via relay. This means the DRLs are on when my parking lights are on and I have these on when daytime driving. Gives a little extra safety by having lights on on the rear of the car rather than just the front.

You could install a fog light switch if you want them on a switch. I did this using an off the shelf relay also. If your car did not come with fogs it will not have the fog light wiring harness already (as far as I know).

only reason you would need a relay is if you are using a low rated switch/ trigger. most micro switches are only 200-300mA rated which wouldnt hold the power needed to light up fog lights. i generally use relays regardless, but thats due to my UL508 background at work. we relay damn near everything. also, i like themicro switches much better than the larger toggles.

a website that keeps me reading even tho i know a lot of it is http://www.the12volt.com its chock full of really good info on everything 12 volt electric related.

I have come across a 96 LSi at a junkyard that was pre-wired for fogs. That's it, though and I combed through dozens of Subarus at a few junkyards. I guess the fogs were an option for that year and model. Needless to say I ripped it out.

Archived