LegacyGT.com

Learning View High A/F learning "A" and "C"

way2tall89

Hey all. So I finally decided to get my car tuned to Stage 1 cryotune but we're running into some issues with the Learning View. Current mods are F1 valve body by climberd and a k&n panel filter. The filter had been sitting in my garage for 6 months and I didn't put it in until David said to try it nd see if anything changes with the LV. Attached is a screenshot of my most recent LV. This was about 45 miles of driving after an ecu reset. Now before we assume I have a vacuum leak let me just say that if I let the car run idle in park while watching af learning 1 in rr it settles around 13.28 without the ac on. With ac its around 14.8. I have not performed a smoke test yet but I have used a can of carb cleaner around all of the hoses labeled in the cryotune guide pics while logging in rr for af learning 1 to see if there was any decrease in the percentage. At no point did it move except for when the ac was on it would flip between 14.8 and 14.2.

I have read others having issues with af learning 1 being high in the a and c columns but none of them ever seem to get anywhere. I know Dave over at Cryotune is a busy guy and I'm hoping to get this resolved in between contact with him so he doesn't need to be bothered by the fact that I have a terrible lv that needs fixed.

So my question is what can I do to pinpoint a little more closely whether or not this is truly a vac leak or not? Or is it safe to say that by using the carb cleaner method that I can rule a vac leak out as a possible cause? What are the next steps in finding the problem? I've heard things like injector replacing, fuel pressure issues, maf replacing and o2 sensor replacing but I just don't know where to start. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

1355553203_LearningView_today.jpg.6bf4c755bf17d32f308b8ae92eb77188.jpg

A post turbo leak tends to show up as positive in the first 2 trims, and negative in the last 2 because the last 2 trims are usually when you're in mild to moderate boost which (when the leak is post-turbo) means air is being forced out causing it to run leak.

You're positive everywhere though which should indicate a PRE-turbo leak. Check your turbo inlet for rips, tears, etc.

Come to think of it thats probably one of the only things I didn't spray carb cleaner on for fear of causing an explosion since its connect to the turbo. I have looked at threads about the PITA process of replacing the thing but I can't seem to find anything as to how t inspect it fully enough to tell whether or not its bad. Can you point me to any threads that talk about it or any keywords I can use to find it in the search? Thanks

Does new learning view still depict a possible vacuum leak? This was after a couple of days driving my normal routes with less spirited driving. Notice Af learning b is a lot higher than what I remember. getting ready to pull the Intercooler off and check all the lines behind the IM. Will report soon

1293227782_LearningView_SS_A2WC510C_2013-06-08111249.jpg.cefe36daf55156f97d6ecb77b3d21c82.jpg

I didn't change anything mechanically. Just wanted to see the lv after some more driving. I reset it after changing the oil and pulling off the tmic. Checked all hoses. The only one I couldn't get to easily was the inlet tube. It was pretty gummed up with oil on the tube where it meets the turbo. Not sure if thats a sign I may have a leak or if thats relatively normal. Any feedback on that would be helpful. Otherwise its Tuesday with the smoke test at the dealership.

Ok guys, I need your help. The other day I was able to EASILY find a thread discussing a DIY boost leak tester but I have literally been searching for the stupid thread now for hours and cannot for the life of me find it. I recall it being relatively new and I think the guy ended up starting to sell them but had a DIY and parts list needed to build the thing. I don't recall there being an actual hose on it though. Anyone know where I can find that?

Ok guys, I need your help. The other day I was able to EASILY find a thread discussing a DIY boost leak tester but I have literally been searching for the stupid thread now for hours and cannot for the life of me find it. I recall it being relatively new and I think the guy ended up starting to sell them but had a DIY and parts list needed to build the thing. I don't recall there being an actual hose on it though. Anyone know where I can find that?

This one? ---> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/group-buy-vacuum-leak-tester-188394.html

Yeah that is definitely the way to go(boost leak tester) but on my car the inlet was completely covered in oil and debris so bad I couldn't even tell that it was slightly torn. I would turn the car off an let it cool, the clean the hell out where the inlet meets the turbo and then listen for leaks after its dry.

Oh and btw, the source of all that oil was a turbo with bad blow by and massive shaft play for my lgt. Might be worth checking later on when you have time

I will attempt to perform a vac leak test tonight when I get home. I hope it will yield something other than blown seals. Should hopefully return with the diagnosis before the end of the night. and I really hope all that oil doesn't mean that my turbo is about ready to go. Because then I'll be buying a bnr 16G. I'm guessing the only way to check for shaft play is by pulling the turbo off the car? what would you rate the difficulty / time for something like that ?

So I ended up just buying a cheap compressor from home depot. Used a 2" female to cap pipe and plugged that into the airbox end of the 's' pipe right before the inlet. Then "blasted no more than 3 seconds of air into the small bpv hose at a max of 90psi in the tank (basically 10-15 psi?) and plugged it with my thumb. I listened for leaks but did not hear anything at all. Let my thumb up and a blast of air came rushing out. I used this method as recommended by 'max capacity' here on lgt. SO can I rule out a vacuum leak at this point and move on or do I need to be doing something else to ensure this is not a vac leak?

Sounds like it, I take it you looked over/listened to the hoses attached to the inlet also?

As far as checking the turbo goes I think you should be able to loosen the inlet off of the turbo and in bolt the dp/up and just scoot it back enough to get your hand in there to check the shaft play.

As far as checking the turbo goes I think you should be able to loosen the inlet off of the turbo and in bolt the dp/up and just scoot it back enough to get your hand in there to check the shaft play.

Much easier to just pull the DP off and check from the dump side.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm going to do one last test to ensure this isn't a vacuum leak. This time I'll use a two foot piece of garden hose and see if I can magnify any sounds coming from the lines. This wont be until tonight.

Glad to hear I can check the turbo by just removing the dp. Once I get rolling with everything ill probably check the turbo for safe measure.

Thanks for all your help so far guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I'm going to do one last test to ensure this isn't a vacuum leak. This time I'll use a two foot piece of garden hose and see if I can magnify any sounds coming from the lines. This wont be until tonight.

Glad to hear I can check the turbo by just removing the dp. Once I get rolling with everything ill probably check the turbo for safe measure.

Thanks for all your help so far guys

You can also start the car and spray carb cleaner around some of the possible leak areas to see if the motor responds.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived