LegacyGT.com

Horrible mpg stock lgt getting 15.9mpg

Check/clean/replace injectors, MAF sensor, O2 sensors, vacuum leaks, PCV valve, air filter, etc. Could any number of things, or it could be all of them. I'm sure there's other things to check that I'm forgetting...

Especially if yours is an earlier LGT, I'd start by cleaning the MAF sensor (MAF sensor cleaner is about $3) and replacing the O2 Sensors, as they'll likely need to be replaced anyway.

That's about what my Legacy GT got as stock w/ my lead foot. Once I went to Stage 2+, my average is about 19.5mpg. If I drive very conservatively, I can get low to mid 20s, but it takes the fun out of owning this car. I usually am having the most fun at 10 mpg average.

16 to 17mpg is what i normally get on my normal commutte (20 mi each way)but its almost all street. On highway i can get close to 30 mpg if i take it easy. The car passed california smog check easily. All stock.

Phesa1005,

What kind of driving do you do? (I.e. percentage of street vs highway)

Low tire air pressure can significantly affect mpg with these low profile tires.

As someone mentioned, the upstream sensor may need changing as well.

in stop and go traffic, that is about right. so it depends. don't jump to the conclusion just yet that something is wrong. see if you can find a tactrix or vagcom cable and hook it up and pull a learningview. if you don't know how to do that, search.

I have no idea if the Legacy Gt has a coolant temp sensor, but I would think it would. On the 1st gen SS there is and it has alot to do with the performance of the engine, mileage included. Might be worth checking into. I know there is alot of difference between the obd1 cars and the ones now, but...

Jeff

Archived