LegacyGT.com

Anyone adding a boost gauge?

Throttlejockey

I am throwing the HKS CAMP in my GT that was leftover from my WRX.. see [url]www.hksusa.com[/url] for the CAMP.. now, the only thing left is to custom fit an LCD monitor in that center top console. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']I am throwing the HKS CAMP in my GT that was leftover from my WRX.. see [url]www.hksusa.com[/url] for the CAMP.. now, the only thing left is to custom fit an LCD monitor in that center top console.[/quote] Got any pics of how that thing integrated into your WRX or maybe a scan of the installation instructions? I would think that a CAN interface would be able to use the vehicles existing sensors to gather most (if not all) of the information we are looking for. Does the CAMP plug into those existing sensors? More info, please! :)

Not a problem, See: [img]http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/L_1330.jpg[/img] But I am going with a custom LCD screen installation, not just some universal mount like the [url]www.hksusa.com[/url] (not as tacky done in the HKS picture shown above).. two locations I was thinking of installing the LCD.. either inside the passenger visor (typical rice location, but it keeps it out of sight when I dont need to look at the gauges all the time) or at the top center console compartment where the Navigation would go. The bigger the LCD, the better you'll be able to see the info. I will taking the CAMP out of my WRX. I just need to mount the LCD tastefully. (The screen I used for the WRX is a custom Sharp 7" screen) [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/27877/pic172.jpg[/img][img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/27877/pic174.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/27877/pic176.jpg[/img][img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/27877/pic197.jpg[/img] The HKS CAMP Main unit hooks up to the ECU via wire splicing to the following: RPM signal FUEL INJECTOR signal SPEED signal VOLTAGE signal The HKS CAMP JUCTION BOX (sold seperately) can handle up to 4 more channels of info. You can do any mix and match of the 4 from the following: BOOST/PRESSURE (air, fuel, or oil) VACCUUM (air, fuel, or oil) TEMP (high temp like EGT or lower temps like air, oil, tranny or engine/coolant) ACCELEROMETER (for G-forces and Dyno/Horsepower) VOLTAGE (additional voltage info you want) The additional sensors need to be HKS-only type to work with the HKS CAMP. With the HKS CAMP, you can show digital, analog, or graph displays. You can also set up the alarms (such as shift warning lights/audio alarms, you can even set the color of the GUI display. You can also hook up other additional RCA composite units (such as a Playstation2) inline with the CAMP if you wish to double the function of the LCD. If you want to know more info, let me know. I bought the CAMP WITH all the sensors I wanted, the Junction box AND the custom LCD all new for about $1k (it's about the same amount of money anyone would spend on 6 high quality electronic gauges for a car). The brain and the junction box are small enough to be installed into the glove box without taking up a lot of space (think about a size of 2 10-disc CD changer cartridges). "It's the ALL IN ONE gauge package unit. It can support 4 more channels of information (Junction Box required). Numerous possibilities for different types of data, including accelerometer, voltage, various vaccuum and pressure readings. Requires an LCD (not supplied) for display. Data Logging also possible via laptop connection or SDRAM card. Requires minimum installation space. Remote included to switch from CAMP view and other LCD inputs."
Keefe

if/when I have the money (post buying the car) I will look into installing the Defi BF-Series meters, as they seem to match the stock interior fairly well. The CAMP unit is nice, but I doubt I will ever need all that info. unless I am going racing around a circuit (hard enough to find around NY). not to mention, you have to splice into the ecu? I wouldn't trust myself to do that... The cool thing about the defi gauges is that they are dark (hidden) when the car if off, and then provide the same effect as the legacy gauges when the car is turned on (full-sweep motion, on startup). [url]http://www.gruppe-s.com/Defi/defimeter.htm[/url] just my .02 cents. later, i

You dont have to display ALL the info for HKS Camp.. you can run any two signals you want via analog, I prefer to show Boost and Injector Duty Cycle or EGT along with it.. splicing into the ECU isnt as bad as you think if you just use vampire clips or piggyback clips. I personally love the HKS CAMP because it's all displayed on an LCD.. and the LCD is where the money is (provided if you install it cleanly and well put and when possible, tucked away for storage to keep the interior stock and clean. But Honestly, do we all even need a boost gauge unless we all plan to run more boost than stock?? Or do we just like to watch this little needle that goes up when we push on the throttle? Shouldn't our eyes be on the road anyways? :wink: Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']But Honestly, do we all even need a boost gauge unless we all plan to run more boost than stock?? Or do we just like to watch this little needle that goes up when we push on the throttle? Shouldn't our eyes be on the road anyways? :wink:[/quote] Don't [i][b]need [/b][/i]one but I do [b][i]desire [/i][/b]one. :D I'm sure that joke is getting old but I couldn't resist. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
OK which line do I hook a boost gauge into???? I saw the vacuum diagram on the underside of the hood but I can't make heads or tails out of it. Anyone care to clearly describe which line would be good to T in a boost gauge into???

[quote name='nicd']Perhaps this pic might help: [img]http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~maru_h/image/bfm1.jpg[/img] From here a boost gauge install: [url]http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~maru_h/stitm.htm[/url][/quote] Nice install, except for the fact of having that gauge embedded in your forehead if the side curtain airbags ever go off. The biggest problem with the Defi BF is that it's huge, and no where clean to put it. If they made it in ~35mm I'd think about hacking the gauge cluster.

• 2 weeks later...
This man is shameless haha In actuality though I'm not considering a boost guage until I actually mod the car to produce more boost then the boost gauge becomes somethign useful to me so I can see what the car is doing and check up on it.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']This man is shameless haha In actuality though I'm not considering a boost guage until I actually mod the car to produce more boost then the boost gauge becomes somethign useful to me so I can see what the car is doing and check up on it.[/quote] Can't you use is as a simple diagnostic tool? If you realize that you are not getting proper boost, then you can look at fixing the problem.

[quote name='JessterCPA'][quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']This man is shameless haha In actuality though I'm not considering a boost guage until I actually mod the car to produce more boost then the boost gauge becomes somethign useful to me so I can see what the car is doing and check up on it.[/quote] Can't you use is as a simple diagnostic tool? If you realize that you are not getting proper boost, then you can look at fixing the problem.[/quote] Yes that helps but first you need to realize that boost is not where you expect it to be and thats why I think its helpful to have it once modded with extra boost. No you don't need it just a helpful little thing to have.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Archived