LegacyGT.com

Need a rebuild....

Yeah it really all depends on how your #2 bore looks like (well, and all the rest). How many miles on the motor?

All depends on if trash got circulated around in the oil, then you'll likely see vertical scrapes on the lower part of the cylinder, and each of the pistons may have worn away the coating there too. It sure doesn't take long for a motor running at full song, to start scraping the crap out of the cylinder walls, and the pistons.

But seriously if you get the shortblock out, and take the #2 piston out and all the rest look OK, if you wanted to get away cheap you may be able to just replace that piston and rings. However, you may be on borrowed time against one of the other 3 having a ring-land go kaboom. So, if the block is good and can be honed true and you can get measurements that fit a set of drop-in forged pistons with the correct clearances, you will barely hit above that $1000 budget but that really depends on if the heads took a pounding or not too (and any other bolt-ons that you want to add while you have the whole thing out, or routine MX stuff)

Yeah it really all depends on how your #2 bore looks like (well, and all the rest). How many miles on the motor?

All depends on if trash got circulated around in the oil, then you'll likely see vertical scrapes on the lower part of the cylinder, and each of the pistons may have worn away the coating there too. It sure doesn't take long for a motor running at full song, to start scraping the crap out of the cylinder walls, and the pistons.

But seriously if you get the shortblock out, and take the #2 piston out and all the rest look OK, if you wanted to get away cheap you may be able to just replace that piston and rings. However, you may be on borrowed time against one of the other 3 having a ring-land go kaboom. So, if the block is good and can be honed true and you can get measurements that fit a set of drop-in forged pistons with the correct clearances, you will barely hit above that $1000 budget but that really depends on if the heads took a pounding or not too (and any other bolt-ons that you want to add while you have the whole thing out, or routine MX stuff)

That's rather my thinking. If you bother to pull the motor you do the job right and replace all 4 pistons. Should get away with honing the block.

Holy hell.....3 out of 4 pistons with ringland failure and the 4th had stress marks. Cylinder #2 has vertical marks but not bad enough for me to catch a fingernail on. The rest looks nice.

Wow!

These motors aren't really that well made. I would consider non-oem, it's what I'm doing running stage 2. It's over kill but I do no trust stock anything. Bad designing.

Dang, I need to find a used motor with 17K for $2000 !!!! holy schnikies, I could go for that. was that a whole long block out of a wrecked car??

Teamafx, looks like you pulled it apart in time to save the cases and the crank, which is a great thing. And I'm assuming that the rods are re-usable too?

Are you sold yet on forged pistons? :)

If the heads are OK as-is, you could just fit forged pistons, new rings, get a fresh hone, and be on your way...

Even if the heads are good, you'll still need to get them resurfaced, otherwise the HG is going to fail fast. I had my heads pressure tested and resurfaced for $125.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• I Donated
Dang, I need to find a used motor with 17K for $2000 !!!! holy schnikies, I could go for that. was that a whole long block out of a wrecked car??

It was out of a 2006 WRX that was getting a built motor. It was definitely a good deal.

Even if the heads are good, you'll still need to get them resurfaced, otherwise the HG is going to fail fast. I had my heads pressure tested and resurfaced for $125.

I was told that if you clean up the mating surfaces and you didn't overheat, you can get away with not resurfacing. But maybe I was told wrong.

I was told that if you clean up the mating surfaces and you didn't overheat, you can get away with not resurfacing. But maybe I was told wrong.

Regardless of overheating, heads can still warp under normal heat cycles. I learned my lesson once on my previous Subaru, cleaned the mating surface, check it with a level, and all seemed good. Wrong, as soon as I started the motor, oil and coolant started dripping from the HG. It's good security to just have the heads resurfaced.

My wife's balls are delicious.

It was out of a 2006 WRX that was getting a built motor. It was definitely a good deal.

I'm told they're pretty much always warped...

Archived