LegacyGT.com

Looking for a modest build

I'm looking to mod my 07 LGT. I want it a bit more peppy (and maybe a few more MPG???).

I've had Subaru do an oil and coolant leak test, I do burn some oil, 1/2 quart per change - 3750, which is within spec. Subaru didn't find any leaks.

Looking to swap the turbo BNR or VF52, uppipe and downpipe, exhaust, infamous tune??, nothing crazy.

I know I need an cable - prob vagcom. Ovb want to log before I start modding.

Besides the parts listed (I need to determine brands still) anything else I need? Oil lines, valve body mod, etc...

Also which is recommended, catted or catless?

so many possibilities... How much you want to spend? you turning the wrenches yourself?

a 16g/52, with a downpipe, CBE, and a tune could easily run you $2k or so without labor (if you buy newish). Thats not taking into account the fact that you may want to replace the fuel pump and TMIC while your at it... which could be another 1k for parts alone if you went with quality/new stuff.

Thanks! This will be a psudeo DD, been driving the 3.6R lately since it's 3 weeks old! :)

I'm thinking about doing the stage 1 flash to "fix" some of the LGT issues and give me a smoother drive in the mean time. Thoughts on that?

Obv going to take me a bit to do a bit more research and get the parts, etc..

Meh on price, not a big issue. :) Quality, reliability, price in that order.

I am considering just doing the work myself, but I know there is place up north in Hayward, CA that could do they work and dyno it. So that part is a bit up in the air. I am handy, not a mechanic, but not afraid to get dirty and do the work. Just matters if I need a lift, which I don't have.

I thought the up had a larger diameter opening, but if you say don't need, one less thing.

I'd obv want quality parts, slightly used not a problem, new even better.

Oh yes, TMIC as well and fuel pump. Forgot that. And new suspension, eventually.

TMIC - Avo, Perrin?

Down

Fuel Pump

Exhaust - looking for the slight boxer sound, but still somewhat sleeper

Turbo - 16g/52

Tune - cobb, infamous?

Oil catch can??

List is growing, what else can I add? haha

I think this is where I want to be.

You don't need a lift. Just good floor jack and jack stands.

A decent set of Craftsman tools and a few tools from Harbor Fright.

If you have the space and plan to do a lot of work over the years, a air compressor and a few air tools are so worth it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

TMIC - Avo, Perrin?

Down

Fuel Pump

Exhaust - looking for the slight boxer sound, but still somewhat sleeper

Turbo - 16g/52

Tune - cobb, infamous?

I think this is where I want to be.

Tmic. I have a Perrin. Quality piece but many have issues with rubbing. I'd go with an oversized one like the process west.

I'd op for a dyno or street tune. Infamous is great if he's not jammed up. Cobb eh.

Spt exhaust.

Dw65 fuel pump

16vs52. Crap shoot. 52 will put down just a bit more power on paper but the 16 seems to drive better. U can't go wrong. New 52's are too pricey.

There's really not a benefit for a daily driver to have an uncatted d/p, with the exception of slightly more noise and POSSIBLY a negligble amount of hp gain. It's not worth the smell of unburnt fuel and environmental emissions.

There's really not a benefit for a daily driver to have an uncatted d/p, with the exception of slightly more noise and POSSIBLY a negligble amount of hp gain. It's not worth the smell of unburnt fuel and environmental emissions.

lol this. you dont need 0.5% gains to race stoplight to stoplight

Cool, I figured as much reading through various post. I have plenty of tools, and a compressor - though need tools for that. What do you recommend from Harbor?

For cut off tools, just buy the cheap ones. One them when you use them, they'll last a long time for amount of use you'll give them.

How big is the compressor ?

You'll want a 1/2 inch impact gun, one where you can adjust the speed and power.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'll have to check on the compressor size, it's not huge, since I really only intended to use it for airing up tires and such.

Dumb question re: cut off tools. I assume i have to cut the down pipe to remove it? Once removed does the other just bolt up?

Oh Boy... Your compressor may not be big enough for air tools. You can electric cut off tools too. Harbor Fright, check them out.

You unbolt the DP.

Sometimes you'll find the bolts at the DP to mid pipe are total rust. just use the right angle cut off to cut the bolts.

You can use any 3/8 or 8 or 10mm bolts & nuts with washers to bolt the pipe back together.

Do you have the service manual ?

Check out my thread back a few pages "How things work" it has a link in it.

Or go to the very first thread News and Rumors click on the sticky, opposed forces.

Don't think it will cut it, LOL

http://www.sears.com/campbell-hausfeld-2-gallon-air-compressor-with-accessories/p-00917610000P?prdNo=27

I was just tired of going to the gas station.

Ok cool, thanks for the info and I'll take a look at the pages you mentioned.

I DO have my service manual. :)

One other question. If I just do the downpipe and flash for now, how much hp gain will I see? Also better throttle response and MPG?

Thanks again!

I have a older one of these, http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-gallon-air-compressor-with-impact-wrench/p-00916471000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

and one of these at my son's, that was the one that stayed in the trailer with the race car. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-25-gallon-horizontal-portable-air-compressor/p-00916475000P?prdNo=23&blockNo=23&blockType=G23

You'll be able to run smaller tools with yours but it will run a lot.

As you begin to do more on your car, you'll want a bigger compressor, but hey, you have to start somewhere. I still have the smaller one then yours I bought back about 1984.

Thanks for all the input. I need to tint and get rims/tires for my 13 3.6R, putting those rims on my LGT. That will be a bit of $$ there.

The plan is:

Flash stage 1 map at this point for the added benefits.

Near future catted d/p, flash/tune

Further in the future turbo, fuel pumps, TMIC.

Sound like a plan?

Recommendations on a stage 1 flash? vagcom and infamous?

Archived