LegacyGT.com

97 jdm motor

doesnt look like it comes with any wiring? or did i miss it?

If you have an EJ22, the only things that are useful to you on that engine are the heads, intake/exhaust manifolds, & turbo assembly w/various sensors & vacuum lines.

I have a EJ22 but I'm looking to find as complete motor/tranny combo and do a STI swap in it. I would rather keep my motor as it is and sell it off to offset some of the price of the new motor.

The EJ22 block will be more useful to you than the EJ20 block as it has 20% more displacement yet has the same internal components as the EJ20 block you're going to buy. The EJ20 heads will fit on the EJ22 just fine & everything will work together. If anything, you could sell the EJ22 heads & EJ20 block for as much as you'd get for the whole EJ22 assembly. You'd still be doing the STi swap but with 20% more potential.

The EJ22 block will be more useful to you than the EJ20 block as it has 20% more displacement yet has the same internal components as the EJ20 block you're going to buy. The EJ20 heads will fit on the EJ22 just fine & everything will work together. If anything, you could sell the EJ22 heads & EJ20 block for as much as you'd get for the whole EJ22 assembly. You'd still be doing the STi swap but with 20% more potential.

Ah, I evidently have a butt load more reading to do on what I want to build here. Any pros of keeping the ej22 over going with the ej257?

gas is cheaper^

I'm not worried about the gas prices. Less then ten miles to work and I have a handful of other cars if I need to drive something else for a while. How bad of mileage are you talking with the 2.5?

i meant more of different octane requirements and their ~10¢ price differences

the ej257 requires premium but will still get you good mileage, 22-28ish is my guess

what you should consider doing is buying a wrecked wrx or sti and swapping all the motor/interior stuff from there, that way you have absolutely everything necessary, and a huge plus is the fact you wont have to merge your harness' which is extremely time consuming and articulative, plus you'll have all the suspension stuff and can sell off whatever you wont end up needing and/or wont fit

There's one....^..lol..yeah, that motor has a bit going for it besides its toughness, the castings are thick and workable if you want to pnp like a mad man. With a tough block you can go n/a crazy or boost it to a comfy level with the stock rods and pistons. Make it better for boosting with a 22t block and internals.

Personally I want to raise compression to like 10.5~11.0-1, and rev to 7~8 (pipe dream), but I f I win the lotto its going to happen :)..finding the right information is really the hardest part for that, I don't know of anyone doing high compression builds with ej motors.

I thought that build lowers compression to around 8 to 1, dohcej22e1 would be the guy to ask about that.

The ej18 cams are supposed to have a pretty sharp grind to them to make up for displacement all the way around. Yet another thing to find out.

i meant more of different octane requirements and their ~10¢ price differences

the ej257 requires premium but will still get you good mileage, 22-28ish is my guess

what you should consider doing is buying a wrecked wrx or sti and swapping all the motor/interior stuff from there, that way you have absolutely everything necessary, and a huge plus is the fact you wont have to merge your harness' which is extremely time consuming and articulative, plus you'll have all the suspension stuff and can sell off whatever you wont end up needing and/or wont fit

I can handle buying premium gas if thats what it takes for a sweet car. But by the sound of things, keeping the 2.2 and building from there might be the best option for me. I have considered the WRX/STI builder from a crashed chassis but they are basically impossible to get at a good price here in Colorado. Everyone and their mom wants them so they go for a premium. And I have suspension covered already so I don't need any of those parts now. I guess I will just work on all my cosmetic stuff for now and then work on rebuilding my bank account for doing a massive drive-train overhaul this winter or next spring.

Ah, I evidently have a butt load more reading to do on what I want to build here. Any pros of keeping the ej22 over going with the ej257?

If you want the extra 30% in power/tq, then it is the way to go but the block is semi-reinforced & is also super strong like the EJ22 blocks are.

EJ22+:

Strong (thick cylinder walls).

Shorter stroke (79mm crank means higher rpms).

Near equally sized rod journals 52mm (EJ257 rods can be used in an EJ22 block).

99-01 EJ22 blocks are Phase 2 design, tougher than the already strong EJ22E.

Compatible with ALL DOHC/SOHC EJ20 & 97-99 EJ25D cylinder heads.

EJ257+:

Strong (semi-reinforced cylinder walls).

Larger cylinder bore (30% extra displacement & potential for power).

Phase 2 block is stronger than that of Phase 1.

It's up to you to choose what you would want it for.

Both blocks tend to help make TQ>HP, so both would be good daily drivers.

I'd not choose a 22/25 hybrid simply due to the fact that the EJ22 heads simply do not breathe well enough without PnP to justify a very small hp increase/giant low-end increase but with head work, the 22/25 hybrid is a formidable engine.

Archived