LegacyGT.com

Loud exhaust leak under boost

i have a LOUD exhaust leak that sounds like a pissed off rattle snake. only hear it under boost. (its not knock) ive just finished checking all the bolts on the header, UP and turbo. it doesnt appear to be affecting boost, its still holding.

what else could it be?? i havnt had anything apart recently. could the wastegate make that much noise? how can i check? i have a Perrin IC, i dont think that O-ring could just start leaking could it?

i have a Prodrive UP with the flex joint. it looks in good shape, but maybe something inside the joint is rotted and leaking??

need some ideas

• 3 years later...
  • I Donated Too

what kind of up pipe do you have?

Last year I had a leak in my solid perrin up - the pipe had cracked just around the edge of the weld - the weld didn't crack, just where the weld met the pipe. Could hear it, couldn't see it... early flex pipe designs would leak the newer ones such as grimmspeed one which used to have a lot of problems is reportedly much better.

any part of the exhaust can crack... so what do you have for up/headers etc.?

what kind of up pipe do you have?

Last year I had a leak in my solid perrin up - the pipe had cracked just around the edge of the weld - the weld didn't crack, just where the weld met the pipe. Could hear it, couldn't see it... early flex pipe designs would leak the newer ones such as grimmspeed one which used to have a lot of problems is reportedly much better.

any part of the exhaust can crack... so what do you have for up/headers etc.?

I've got stock headers and a Grimmspeed uppipe without flex section (purchased brand new and installed around 3 years ago).

Do you have a preferred method for checking for the source of an exhaust leak? And, how long can I drive with a pre-turbo leak? I have neither the time or money to get into it right now :(

I've got stock headers and a Grimmspeed uppipe without flex section (purchased brand new and installed around 3 years ago).

Do you have a preferred method for checking for the source of an exhaust leak? And, how long can I drive with a pre-turbo leak? I have neither the time or money to get into it right now :(

You've got a GrimmSpeed Uppipe without a flex section? That is not something that we've ever produced, perhaps you just mis-typed?

Chase

Engineering

• 2 weeks later...
You've got a GrimmSpeed Uppipe without a flex section? That is not something that we've ever produced, perhaps you just mis-typed?

Chase

Engineering

Hi Chase, yes, great catch! Mine indeed does have a flex section. I didn't mistype...I mis-remembered :)

Attached is the product I purchased through one of your distribution channels, so it does have a flex on it. Do these flex sections have a tendency to break/leak at all (especially in Rust Belt regions)?

IMG_3070.PNG.9bc00facf2b216a304a66966543632b8.PNG

Hi Chase, yes, great catch! Mine indeed does have a flex section. I didn't mistype...I mis-remembered :)

Attached is the product I purchased through one of your distribution channels, so it does have a flex on it. Do these flex sections have a tendency to break/leak at all (especially in Rust Belt regions)?

Historically we do not have flex section issues anymore. If your pipe was purchased 6+ years ago, then there is a better chance that it might have failed. However, years ago we switched to a different flex section and we rarely see failures on them anymore.

So, depending on the age of the pipe it's extremely unlikely, but still worth a listen if you can't find where the leak is. A smoke test or listening through a length of tube will be your best bet to find an exhaust leak. A visual check on the flex section often goes wrong for people because they end up mistaking their valve covers oil leak dripping on the up pipe as the failure section. So get down there and take a listen!

Chase

Engineering

Archived