LegacyGT.com

rack and pinion

I don't even know much of anything about the 18E motors. Was never interested in them, so I never bothered. I think that's how most people are. I'd definitely be interested to learn how these builds turn out though. I've never seen a 2.2 with a 1.8 top end.

I am too especially because they have them (ej18e) in obd1 and 2, so if it turns out well it can be tweaked further, I have researched a little bit but in no hurry with my wagon. I know the motor by itself is uninteresting but some of the parts are. I used to like doing compression builds in hondas, I wonder how these motors feel with higher ratios and rev limits. I know I'm in for a lot of info searching because of the motors unpopularity and removal for bigger motors :)..but that makes for cheap and accessible.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an extra 22e that needs headwork, I was wondering about the 222 heads, are the ports on them as the same design as 22e?

Talk about dreaming, I'm dreaming about making a sheetmetal intake manifold but a reversed throttlebody like the fb motors on the brz. Itb's would be crazy would sound like a 4 cylinder funny car lol..

Could be worse... It could be superwide// lol

Personally, as far as motor plans, I am not going to build an NA motor any more. I was going to rebuild my 99 25D/251 into a high compression 2.5 good for about 220 or maybe more. But, my car needs a trans so I've decided to save up for a turbo swap the year after this summer. Once I get everything I need, I hope to pass Sludge's generosity on to someone else.

A side note.. I just have a massive amount of random parts laying around...

Steering, motors, same difference

Very indiscriminate thread indeed.

Anyone here ever mess with the idea of depowering a steering rack for manual use?

I saw a thread from a miata forum that gives a great diy thread for it but have lost track of its link.

I remember some time ago when I put my lw pulley on I got rotational mass drunk, and wanted to do that mod to get rid of the ps pump and keep the bay a little cleaner. Still a dream knowing ill probably get tired of strong-arming my car around.

I would think wouldnt feel a difference, although manual steering racks do chatter a bit. Some of the steps in that long lost thread were to disassemble it completely and take a few parts out of the rack itself and re-seal it with fluid in it iirc.

I can feel the difference between my 90 wagon and my 95 sedan, the steering on the sedan is kinda of rubbery. I looked under my wagon this morning with the rack at full lock, and it seems the pinion and inner tie rods are different. I could see where the ring gear tracks the inner tie rods, on the second gen they are smooth. I don't know much about the manufacturing but it looks like the 1st gen rack definitely more stable.

I wish I had a 2nd gen parts car to test fitments on.

The SS steering rack is awesome. I have an extra one that I am going to swap in the L. I love the way it feels. Tight and responsive and a direct fit for second gens. Since we're discussing first gen steering racks, is there a difference between the SS and the Legacy steering racks?

The SS steering rack is awesome. I have an extra one that I am going to swap in the L. I love the way it feels. Tight and responsive and a direct fit for second gens. Since we're discussing first gen steering racks, is there a difference between the SS and the Legacy steering racks?

That's what I'm trying to figure out too, if I have to change the whole power steering system, lines, pump and rack...or even of the thing will bolt to 2nd gen sub-frame or outer tie rods, I can get another first gen steering rack anyday. I would love to know, can't have both my cars down to test a theory.

But don't they use gear oil or something to replace the atf?

I'm not sure, what they keep in there but the two fittings are together in the

end result, doesn't sound terrible to try even though the miata weighs 1200 or so lbs less than the bd legacy:)

To start to answer everyone's questions....

On Second Gen Legacy's all NON-Outback models have the same steering rack. And ALL Outback's have the same, separate rack.

The Legacy's rack is 3.2 turns lock to lock with a ratio of 16.5:1

The Outback's rack has a lighter weight and is 3.4 turns lock to lock with a ratio of 19:1

Once I find my FSM for the first gen, I'll look and see if there are any similarities or differences between the 2nd Gen Legacy rack and it.

I still don't know about fitment, but I'll be able to find out performances differences.

Archived