LegacyGT.com

Burnt oil smell & smoke

My car constantly smells like burnt oil & it occasionally smokes. It's not leaking on the ground and there is no sign of oil anywhere on the motor. My mechanic is stumped and so am I. A friend told me it might be the turbo gasket but I'm not sure after reading several threads on here. Help please.

Probably your passenger side valve cover gasket. They leak after being baked by the uppipe/turbo over time.

This is a common issue with these cars. Or the oil return hose from the turbo.

Have the guy look again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Originally when I first bought it at the end of March oil was caked on the bottom of the manifold and it was smoking. The dealership took it back and power washed it off replaced some gaskets (which they did not get specific on) and gave it back to me it was fine all the way up until this passed Monday. When I noticed smoke again, BUT no caked on oil anywhere on the motor and no signs of leaking on the ground. The smoke comes and goes it’s only every now and then but the oil smell never goes away. I got mad & decided to take it to my mechanic instead of back to the dealership; my mechanic couldn't figure it out. I want to get it fixed asap because the weather is going to start to get very hot down here and I fear it will make things worse.

car.thumb.jpg.5ac9fa150e67d8afa018784cd605ab31.jpg

So with a little bit of help from a friend and advice from you guys I have narrowed the problem down to one of the following...

1. Passenger CV boot

2. Valve cover gasket

3. Oil return hose from turbo

4. Turbo gasket

I just hit up a friend who works at Napa and asked h to find out the prices for the parts for all this shit. And now I'm hearing that you have to pull the motor to do the valve cover gasket. Any advice on how easy it is to replace/fix any of this stuff & is the motor pulling thing true?

The VC gaskets are replaced with the engine in the car.

CV boot, it's faster to just replace the axle, they can be had for $40.00

Oil return hose, you need to lift the turbo, more work but at that point you replace the up pipe with a catless one, check the turbo for shaft play, I bolt the turbo back on using the same bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block. The dealer has the bolts.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can most definatley do the valve cover gaskets with the motor in the car, smack whoever told you the motor needs to come out.

I made a post somewhere about how to replace them. It's not that hard of a job.

Okay guys finally just took it to someone who knew what they were looking at. Here's a screen shot of the estimate to get it fixed. Shit kicker is it's under warranty & I'm gunna make the dealership fix it.

image.thumb.jpg.7c30f0448c3db27c053ae4090d30507e.jpg

Archived