LegacyGT.com

What's your best city MPG with your 5EAT?

Hey, I am wondering what other 5EAT owners are getting as far as gas mileage around town in normal day to day driving. I can't seem to get any better than 18.3 city mpg while I always read that others are getting over 20 mpg. I usually drive very conservatively back and forth to work and just can't seem to get better mileage. Although, the best I ever got out of my WRX was about 16 mpg so I guess I should not complain.

sweet jeebus - do you people have diesels???

16.5mph, after 2400 miles on 'B' trip computy (since i bought the car).

17.4mph, for the last 200 miles on 'A' trip computy - things are looking up! :lol:

i'm almost all city driving, BTW.

hrmm,looks like I'm below the curve here, my car has about1700 miles on it, average city mileage has been between 18 and 15. (yea 15! I was suprised, I jokingly said this car can perform magic.. PRESTO! THE ENTIRE TANK OF GAS IS GONE!)

seriously tho in that tank I had my foot in it about 5 times. I might reset the computer soon now that its out of breakin period and let it cool down, my a/f might be a little rich.

might also get a stage1 from cobb too eventually here, a friend of mine averages about 20 with the 5MT and he revs to about 3500 in 1st and 2nd.. whichis about what I do (I told ya I like to keep my foot in it :p)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Well.. so far i've got 117 miles in the car.. average 19.2 MPG.

Question.. do you guys use the sports shift often? what RPM do you usually up/downshift?

When they did the 0-60mph test did they use it at all?

I'm still very new to this car...

I do all city driving. average actual milage is 17.4mpg computer likes to pretend it is 17.7. Best so far is 18.3 actual, 18.9 according to computer. long traffic lights kill you traffic jams kill you. The heat and running the AC all the time, I'm not too disappointed though. In may last car with 205hp and premium fuel, doing the same would have gotten me about the same for less get up and go in a smaller car.

The cooler it has been out, the better milage i have gotten.

wow, and I thought my 15 was bad. I tell ya man these cars have a gas leak! lol its unfathomable to me for a 4cyl to use this kinda gas.. yea yea I know its turbo and AWD so thats where it goes, but its still hard to beleive, it makes the people who are not in the know of the amazing product that is subaru's eyes pop when they hear of a 4cyl getting less than 20mpg.

I've been using "manumatic" 90% of the time this tank, I'm at 200 miles at a half tank! I'm impressed.. I've been doing 1-3 at 2k rpm and then running 4th and 5th long to get up to cruising speeds, I think thats helping but its been a slow driving tank, 1-3 averages out to 40mph doing that.

When driving in automatic mode I never use the sport mode unless I'm in a hurry and dont feel like using manumatic, if I want to race somebody or need to merge or something I always use manumatic, infact I use it often to drop gears just before climbing a hill, I'm hoping this will save my transmision an early grave.. my last 2 cars I killed the auto tranny by 40k miles.

I have found using the "-" or dropping a gear when slowing down in manumatic mode can be problematic as the car drops gears itself, sometimes when I'm slowing down from 4th to 3rd I will hit it at the exact moment it drops me to 3rd and it will then jerk into 2nd.. not pleasent and not good for the tranny I imagine. so I've been altering this and only using the "engine brake" kind of thing 5th-3rd and then letting the car do 3rd-1st on its own. I drop a gear when the rpms go below 1000 if I'm slowing down.

I'm hoping for about 20mpg city with the above.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

City only driving gets me between 12-13 mpg. When I filled up last time, the trip computer averaged the last tank of gas at 12.3 mpg.

good god man!

so are you either at WOT or Brake? (sort of like playing gran turismo)

On this tank of gas the computer says 21.3 avg, my gas light just came on this morning and the trip computer has 50 miles til empty, if I'm correct I believe your gas light comes on when theres 2.8 gals left. So if I was getting 17miles to gal, I could possibly go 47.6 miles, with 18 miles to gal, I could get 50.4. I usually try to fill up before the gas light comes on, but I'm guessing I could make another 50 miles if I drove conservatively. I do drive mostly city and usually 11-25 highway miles on some weekends so my average is probably a little off. I've gotten 320 miles to a tank with a mixture of highway and city miles, when I had my WRX (manual) I was luckly to see 300 under the same conditions. I also drive like granny now, cause I know the GT can really drink under boost, I normally try to drive off boost until I get that itch. :D Between the Rex and GT, I think the GT gets better mileage if you need to, it takes less to get moving off boost despite the weight difference.

you should calculate the gas mileage by filling up, setting one of the trips to 0 when you fill up, then when you fill up next time divide the amount of gas you just put in by the # of miles you drove during that many gallons.. thats how I do it anyway.. I've found the trip computer is really quite accurate to this as well, although its been off by a few miles every now and then. My last vehicles avg mileage thing NEVER changed.. it had no idea what it was talking about, I'm happy this ones alittle more accurate.

Going by how much gas you put in isn't entirely accurate either. If the gas pump is running really slow, like when everyone is getting gas at the same time, you can put in about 1 gallon more than usual. Same thing happens if you are topping off. Once the pump stops, if you let it sit for a few minutes like when you are cleaning your windows, you can pump about 1/2 to 1 gallon before it clicks off again.

I'm glad most of my driving is highway. I might have not bought a LGT if I was doing all city driving. Combined with the crappy seasonal formula California gas with lots of additives, I'd be poor by now. My last car a 96 Camry was getting 32 mpg highway and 26 mpg city even with 226K miles on it, it did have half the horsepower though.

I consistently do 12.5 to 13 mpg. Or 18 litres per 100 km. The fuel economy is bad. Mind you this is exclusively city driving, agressive accelaration, stop-go all the time, it's a jungle out there...

I always drive it in manual mode and just love 2nd gear. I guess I'm still in MT denial mode. It's a wife compromise.

I'm really disappointed with the fuel economy especially with gas prices soaring like they are the past few months. Today was my most expensive fill-up ever. :(

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I've got almost 4k miles on my 5eat sedan and I'm getting about 22 miles per gallon city, and nearly 33 average highway, so maybe our cars get better with age.

Can someone define what city is? My city is inner city, lots of stop lights, stop signs within short distances and heavy traffic. Top speed will average 37 mph. I'm very sceptical with your 22 mpg claims, I hardly accomplish this mileage on highway (like to cruise @ 80 mph).

I'd like to learn more about your driving style and city driving conditions.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

well, i drive a lot of city stop and go every day. i'm lucky to hit 17 mpg! as for driving MOSTLY hwy, then if i can get an avg of 22 mpg i'm doing great! last weekend however, on our day trip, i was doing 25 mpg! that was the best i've ever gotten! :)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Well, first I'm an old guy, so only "get on it" once in a while. ALso have a passenger seat speed Nazi to keep me from tipping the needle too far to the right. City driving is a lot of lights and mostly 25mph speed zones, so the car just kinda sips gas. Highway speed zones here are 65mph.....too many cops to go much past 80 ever....so not as much fun here as it sounds like you have up there....

I'm not exactly sure about my mileage avg, but I was stating what the computer shows, my trip to and from work is all stop signs (speeds between 25-40 mph), I do drive like grandma since I've only had the car a few months and gas prices suck:mad:. I've the oil pipeline in my backyard for crying out loud (well not literally), but why am I paying $2.56 per gal for 90 octane? I just gased up, so on this tank of gas I'll count my highway miles and replace it with the city avg per mile to get a better picture. I didn't top the tank off and I did use octane booster since all I can get is 90 octane,:( I'm not sure if the octane booster will make enough difference on mileage(good or bad) to notice, but the car drives smoother.

Archived