LegacyGT.com

Story of my junkyard trip...

Me and a friend of mine are building a VW up for some street racing action, so I haven't been around as much. When I experienced this yesterday though, the rage that filled my body needed an outlet. Thus, here I am with you guys, my automotive therapy group.

So we were pulling a pedal assembly and a throttle body for the VW at our local scrap yard when I saw this 98 Legacy Outback, exactly like mine, with some front end damage. I decided to go steal a few bolts since I had lost 2 or 3 in the process of rebuilding my engine.

When I got there, I saw this awesome looking hood on a 99 Impreza Outback. It had two vents and a scoop that looked a little more mean than mine. After some staring and contemplating, I decided that the two front ends were identical and tried to test fit the Impreza hood on the Legacy. (when I put it that way, it just sounds insane and stupid, but trust me. It was a perfect fit.)

I spent an hour getting the stripped bolts out of the impreza hood and a good 30 minutes trying to delicately move the rain tray out of the way so I knew how to do it on my car.

My buddy and I picked the hood up and set it on. The hinges were identical, the latch fit perfectly, and all I had to do was paint it white. Accept for one thing: It was LESS THAN AN INCH too narrow. Literally like half an inch. :mad:

TL;DR: has anyone ever fit an Impreza Outback hood on a Legacy Outback, considering it's less than an inch too narrow? If so, how did it work out?

there was a guy a couple years ago that took the whole front end off an impreza and merged it onto the front end of a Legacy wagon...

it looked like shit.

i also know of instances where people cut out the spots in the Legacy's hood in an attempt to add in the obs/rs vents, but the body lines on the hood dont match up and it looks awry..

i'd go for option 2 over slapping on the hood and working from there with the gaps, but you'll probably have to be pretty good with bodywork

I was thinking about just putting bondo in the gap on the fender side. That way I could always just chip it out or sand it down if I wanted to go back to the old hood. Alternatively, I thought about putting some black water guards in the space, but that might look tacky and the space would still be visible.

bondo might not hold up there, with the different materials expanding at different rates because of their exposure to different temperatures... with the hood getting warm from the motor but the bondo gap-fillers staying cool off to the side

unless you did it fender side maybe

this looks like an autozone stick on vent kit.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x11/Mislead_youth_900/RUBIE/legacylineup1copy.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x11/Mislead_youth_900/RUBIE/legacylineupRUBIEcopy.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2140408520_54cf4bb29f.jpg

anyways the 'official' hood width due to me just measuring:

01 RS: 51" wide

97 GT: 53" wide

Yeah I misspelled sedan... hahaha

The Legacy hoods have the same scoop as the legacy outback hoods right? If so I can just shop around that yard for a demo hood and steal those vents for a few bucks. I don't want to ruin my stock hood lol.

I'm not sure what you mean but out of the Legacy trim levels, none have vents like the Impreza RS and OBS

The Legacy Outback and LegacyGT from '97-'99 came from the factory with a hood scoop

(ls and LSi as well but those are much less common-especially in yards)

The Legacy L and Brighton models from '95-'99 have a flat hood

these will all interchange with no modification

Don't you know street racing is dangerous AND ILLEGAL!. I used to go to the street races with my old Supra and they tend to be totally unsafe. Stupid people standing in the lanes and guys who think they can drive can't. I stopped going about 8 years ago when I witnessed a guy get killed from a car that got out of control. I really never liked drag racing anyway but I love road racing and I track my Supra but not as much as I would like. Sorry for thread jacking.

Don't you know street racing is dangerous AND ILLEGAL!. I used to go to the street races with my old Supra and they tend to be totally unsafe. Stupid people standing in the lanes and guys who think they can drive can't. I stopped going about 8 years ago when I witnessed a guy get killed from a car that got out of control. I really never liked drag racing anyway but I love road racing and I track my Supra but not as much as I would like. Sorry for thread jacking.

i dont think you're posting in the thread you think you're posting in :spin:

Don't you know street racing is dangerous AND ILLEGAL!.

I actually had no idea that using public roads to race, doubling or tripling the speed limit, and racing with potential ameteurs was dangerous OR illegal! Thanks for the info. Might I suggest reading more than the first sentence of a post before you reply to it next time? Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean but out of the Legacy trim levels, none have vents like the Impreza RS and OBS

The Legacy Outback and LegacyGT from '97-'99 came from the factory with a hood scoop

(ls and LSi as well but those are much less common-especially in yards)

The Legacy L and Brighton models from '95-'99 have a flat hood

these will all interchange with no modification

I meant I would snag a legacy hood and cut into it rather than my stock hood.

I know what his thread is about but I seen that he said street racing so I thread jacked.

Taylor, the first sentence was ment to be funny because of the fact I dislike street racers. Sorry it didn't fit your needs. :)

I like the hoods on the impreza but imo it doesn't look right on the legacy hood, contours don't match up and the vents look out of place, I picked some of the vents up at a salvage and changed my mind about putting them in...I wanted to try to modify them to use in the inner wheel well to cool off the tires or brakes, won't be seen because I don't like rice.

The picture of he blue hood had some good body work on it if that's a legacy hood, even looks like the bead is rolled nicely under the vent to give that sunken in look, the black legacy looks tacky like the vents are put on there with double-sided tape..

"Rice made fresh every day"

:) yeah I'm pretty picky on what I do with my car, kind of a minimalist myself. Styling has to be done to the owners liking, screw what people think. My car isn't flashy and can't blow the doors off an Sti but its clean, reliable and has enough grunt to do what I need so far.

I don't see what's ricey about an oem part... shit, id consider this to be a tasteful OEM+ modification. As far as fitting goes, it isn't flush, but it is damn near close and the way the recess in the middle of the hood on the legacy is practically the same as the impreza. The 2.5 and outback sports have those vents..

It is a matter of opinion, if you don't like it don't do it. I don't like telling people what to do and what not to do.

Be sure you use the under covers as it will slow down weather/water entry.

More power to you taylor.

^thats what I had thought..lol...I could give two shits what you do with your car Alex, taylor, like I said above screw what people think..do it your way, if you need tips on the body work I'm more than willing to help as far as procedure and materials best used for said project.

Archived