LegacyGT.com

Clutch Opinions?

So when I purchased my car the clutch was kinda slipping when I had alot of people or stuff in it, it's progressively gotten worse. So it's time to replace it.

Now I've done some research and the OEM one is a decent price, but if I want to go with an upgrade which one do you think I should choose? Does anyone have any suggestions to ones you have installed or ones that you've previously had that you like?

Is there an upgrade for the cable on the cable clutches? Like some sort of thicker braided cable or is it just a good idea to replace with OEM?. I feel like that would be alot stiffer once it stretches..

I hate how soft my clutch feels, makes me wonder if the person before me was a person who sits on the clutch at red lights, because the pressure plate feels weaker than it should..

Exedy KSB04

It's perfect. Search it on here and you'll see all the nice things I've said about it. It's $150 and MUCH MUCH better than OEM.

Nice! thats how much an OEM one costs, I think I'll do that.

Sludge, you shouldn't have a cable clutch..... But maybe yours is one of those weird ones. Being a Brighton and all....

Honestly, cable clutches feel very different from hydraulic clutches. There may be nothin lg wrong. You have a 2.2 so your pressure plate might be really light as well. I dont know for sure.

Exedy KSB04

It's perfect. Search it on here and you'll see all the nice things I've said about it. It's $150 and MUCH MUCH better than OEM.

why does it come up as an 05 Legacy clutch? Will it fit?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=Exedy+KSB04&oq=Exedy+KSB04&gs_l=serp.3..0.73824.73824.2.74702.1.1.0.0.0.0.133.133.0j1.1.0...0.0...1c.1.12.psy-ab.uoXZmFBooT4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.aWM&fp=220a55c2c69df914&biw=1280&bih=832

Because it's made to fit a LOT of Subaru's, including that one.

now since I have a 2.2, can I still run the 2.5 Clutch? Or will I need the flywheel as well?

Crud. I forgot you guys had 2.2's

Yeah, you'd need a 2.5 flywheel as well. It won't work with the 2.2's

If you went Exedy, you'd have to use this one with the 2.2 flywheel: 15010

EDIT:

BUT....

Now I'm seeing that there are no size differences between the two clutches.... I wonder if the pressure plate is different. I am not quite sure what the 2.5/2.2 differences are.

so after talking to some people and looking on NASIOC, it looks like we will need the 2.5 N/A flywheel to make it work.

BUT after searching around

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/394-05057360.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1990-2000+Subaru+Legacy+Flywheel+Sachs+NFW6605+90-00+Subaru+Flywheel+1993+1997&fp=pp&gbm=a&gclid=CK-l-cCj-LYCFdNzMgodKHgAyg

This flywheel is for the 98 N/A 2.2 and 2.5. So I'm very confused.

I think that if it's an N/A clutch it will fit, but not a turbo one.

Turbo cars have a "pull" style hydraulic system and pressure plate. It's completely different.

Let me check the OE part numbers for the 2.2 / 2.5 flywheel and get back to you.

The 15010 should work just fine. The KSB04 is just a little bit more performance oriented. The pressure plate has a higher rating.

Turbo cars have a "pull" style hydraulic system and pressure plate. It's completely different.

Let me check the OE part numbers for the 2.2 / 2.5 flywheel and get back to you.

The 15010 should work just fine. The KSB04 is just a little bit more performance oriented. The pressure plate has a higher rating.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

so I picked up the Exedy stage 1 clutch and brand spankin new flywheel. Resurfacing the flywheel is $50 and a brand new one is $60. I think the $10 difference is worth my time to drive to a NAPA and wait a few hours. Just one less movie I can take my gf too, its ok though she rarely puts out after a date anyway.

So I'll be installing it later next week and I'll let you guys know how it goes. My friend is letting me borrow his shop out by me to make this alot less painful.

Also my strut tower bars are ordered so they should be coming in soon too. Since the back of the wagon is so flippy floppy I thought it was a decent investment. THEN I will refinish my wheels after new tires are ordered.

• 5 months later...

Archived