LegacyGT.com

Painted or not?

S4

Painted Grill or Stock?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Painted Grill or Stock?

• Painted to match body color
    • Chrome stock grill (BLING!!!)

I say to just do to your heart's content. :)

That's what matters in terms of personal tastes, right?

-----

With that, *personally*, I've decided against modding my grill.

I feel that with the current "sports" mesh-type grills, I'm just following the trend. Although that doesn't bother me too much at all ( God knows that this one-time high-school mathalete is just looking for some social acceptance! :p), what does bother me more is that it seems that even the current-generation Ford Taurus is on to the trend:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/taurus/

Also, seeing so much of the internal radiator support is not my cup-of-tea, either, and although this is addressed well by either painting the grill mesh or carefully choosing the mesh weave, I still think the look is slightly too aggressive for my tastes, at least for my girl Winky, that is.

;)

But heck, I guess that the previous-generation Legacy also had that type of grill, huh?

:)

With the surround blacked out?

That just looks ike the previous-generation Taurus - at least to me it does:

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2000_Ford_Taurus&ReviewID=627

:)

Leaving the grill as-is does hark back to the some Legacy heritage, but heck, I guess the idea now is to go with the corporate nose!

So that tells me I have NO TASTE whatsoever. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Go ahead and paint it. It will look great when the paint starts to chip off. Nothing like chrome under rock chips.

Thanks for your concern, but there will be no chrome underneath it because it's going to be fully prepped before paint. If it chips, it's going to look like any other chip and if it's all the way through the clear and paint, you'll see primer. Also, since they surface is not perpendicular to the wind, there's far less chance of chipping as say the bumper. Sure, there's still a chance, but it'll be more like chips on the side of your car.

See here for my the K2K2 car, my original insispiration (and seeing it on Earthworm's car too. ;))

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6392

You know, I'll bet if you bought the paint from www.paintscratch.com and got a flex agent for it then it would be like the paint on your bumper. It wouldn't chip so much as it might 'pit' a little. The bumpers have that flex agent to keep the paint from cracking when you tap something. It would probably save you from even the small chance that a chip could occur. Just a thought...

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You know, I'll bet if you bought the paint from www.paintscratch.com and got a flex agent for it then it would be like the paint on your bumper. It wouldn't chip so much as it might 'pit' a little. The bumpers have that flex agent to keep the paint from cracking when you tap something. It would probably save you from even the small chance that a chip could occur. Just a thought...

Thanks for the advice. I think that's what Earthworm did and I considered doing it if I were doing it myself. Since I have to have my car in the shop anyways to get some body damage repaired, I'm just having them do it too while they're at it. Like I said, they use a plasticizer or flex agent in their paint at the body shop, so it should be close to the same result, although they'll probably do it way better than I ever could.

Great minds think alike. I just dropped off my extra grill for paint, today. My shop plans to do a plastic etch, followed by a plastic primer, then the base coat and clear will contain a flex agent. It should turn out real nice, especially with ~$400 per gallon Dupont base and clear. That is interesting we both based our decision on the same car. :) Should look awesome. I plan to post pics in another thread or my vBGarage when it is finished.

The body shop I'm working with uses only Standox paint. They do an amazing job. If you haven't heard of Standox, they are they are the Porsche approved repair paint and many German manufacturers use them:

http://www.standox.com/bowstreet/com.ixl.lon.service.DPCHost/Method:loadPage?page=GU-1.3.1_Current_Press_Release&categoryName=7&catId=55

Here's some pix of the results. They did my front bumper too because of some parking lot damage, and all I have to say is that I WISH SUBARU PAINT WAS THIS GOOD! Seriously, bugs just don't get stuck in the clear and practically wiped right off, and best off all, no scratching! If you're in Chicagoland and need anything painted, hit up Car Medic's in Arlington Heights. I'm also working a bit with them to see if we can get a batch of parts painted for the LGT guys that want stuff done. Anyways, enough raving, here's the pix.

Black1.JPG.bea94b88f2eb4199ded8cf7515b21990.JPG

Black2.JPG.42534b5f1e231d1df3d633ce536dc563.JPG

How much did it cost to get the grill painted

if we mailed it to that paint shop could they do it and mail it back? The reason I ask is, if they already know how and have good results I would trust them to do it, instead of finding a new paint shop and hope that they do not mess it up.

!S4,

Did they just paint the chrome trim piece? My shop did the whole grill, other than the wings.

I am currently waiting on a new badge which will be here tomorrow hopefully. Once it is installed on the car, I will take some pics.

Kevin

My thought is that the line or the wings in the center carries the line from the headlights. The chrome surround just sort of ruins that and you completely miss the line because it's "blocked" by the ring.

Maybe I'm crazy...

exactly. i'm doing the same. ever since i saw this i knew it was the right choice.

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/earo/BP_earo/050123-01b.jpg

paint it balck. leave the chrome wing. sorry my work comp was slow as nuts. completey missed you had finished already. ohwell. looks good.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

How much did it cost to get the grill painted

if we mailed it to that paint shop could they do it and mail it back? The reason I ask is, if they already know how and have good results I would trust them to do it, instead of finding a new paint shop and hope that they do not mess it up.

They charged me $60, and I'm guessing it'd be about that for anyone else that wanted it done. I was having other work done at the same time too, so don't get upset if it's not exactly that.

I have to go to the shop on Monday, so I'll ask them about shipping parts.

!S4,

Did they just paint the chrome trim piece? My shop did the whole grill, other than the wings.

I am currently waiting on a new badge which will be here tomorrow hopefully. Once it is installed on the car, I will take some pics.

Kevin

The chrome trim is part of the same part. They first sanded, then etch-primed the chrome, and then painted. I didn't ask for the entire part to be painted black, so the rest is the dark grey that it was before (just like inside the headlights).

My shop ended up acid etching the whole grill then followed by the base coat. Then they shot it with the clear/pearl. He then followed it with a nice thick coat of flex agent. The painter changed his strategy (from above) on the chrome after looking it over. It turned out great. I did all of the prep sanding prior to dropping it off, so I they didn't include that in the labor. The paint and labor on my grill ended up costing me $60, as well. Remember - they did the whole grille and it was prepped prior to drop off.

I would imagine if you guys were to ship them to !S4 (prior to paint) with the grille sanded and the chrome trim sand blasted (or sanded) - the price should drop a little. The most of the work is prepping the surface. If they didn't use a sand/media blaster on the chrome; it will take a while to develop a paintable surface. Good luck guys.

I know that the shop has already expressed interest in doing some sort of special introductory offer for LGT.com, so I'll see what I can do. After I talk to the shop on Monday, I'll either try to get something arranged, or make sure they get on here and get vendor status. Doug (usually RockVR4 on most boards) is the owner and very willing to work with enthusiast communities.

Every good car maker is Using STANDOX in EUROPE btw one of most reput.brand:)

The Q. of paint -brilliant, color mixers etc - great

The body shop I'm working with uses only Standox paint. They do an amazing job. If you haven't heard of Standox, they are they are the Porsche approved repair paint and many German manufacturers use them:

http://www.standox.com/bowstreet/com.ixl.lon.service.DPCHost/Method:loadPage?page=GU-1.3.1_Current_Press_Release&categoryName=7&catId=55

Archived