LegacyGT.com

The new cruck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking at my pictures i took of the timing today, and realized that when i removed the crank pulley i broke off one of the teeth which i think is how the crank sensor gets it's readings. The timing belt was still off on this pic, i corrected afterward.

yup, thats broken. had the same issue on mine. well, it wasnt a broken tooth, but the PO had cranked down the sensor so much it was hitting the teeth, and took the front half of all of them off. had constant misfire codes, even tho it ran pretty damn well.

luckily that part is only 35 at the dealer. probably way cheaper online or used.

• 2 weeks later...
So there were two teeth missing on the old pulley. Installed new one, it runs baby!! Sounds like a rally car....

Haha.. loud as all hell right? Enjoy it man.. I miss it. Kick myself for letting it go, want to make another one.

• 2 weeks later...
I made a trip to pick and pull today. Things I really wanted but didn't acquire...windshield, i bought one of the pull knife's from harbor freight, figured i would rock a windshield out. Did not happen, popped a big crack in the first one and never got the second to budge, so i'm leaving that one to a pro, it's like 200 bucks installed. Oil pan, yea didn't want to have to pull a motor to get to the back oil pan bolts, i'll eventually just order one and deal the headache of install later. What i did get was a new timing cover set, winshield trim pieces and lots of clips, second gen seatbelt to convert from the auto seatbelts, and found an underseat sub.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So i had all the lights fixed, car running good, drove it over to merchant's to drop it off for inspection. I knew it wouldn't pass but it would give me 15 days of being able to drive it. Car runs great over to the shop, they are able to drive it in the bay, got to leave and it won't start. Push it out into the parking lot, i could start it but had to keep the throttle open and it ran like crap especially at lower rpm's. I could get it to roll in first gear, but as soon as the 2 shift was made it was dead. Now i have to figure out what happened now. I just want to drive this thing.

So I had to retime the engine today. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the timing during a state inspection where they would have driven the car 30ft at the most. I also ordered about 150 bucks worth of stuff on ebay and rock auto.

Wait.. WHAT? It jumped time??

It's very suspicious but i can't imagine someone taking the time to deliberately mess up the timing at a state inspection. I drove it over to the shop, wouldn't run when i went to pick it up. Last weekend I set the timing again, it runs great again. I did find a piece of rubber inside the timing cover, likely just a piece of the timing cover gasket fell off. I don't think that would have caused it. Drove it about 45 or so miles today to the subaru meet, people defenitely crowded around.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I think i'm going to have to get rid of this thing. It's running good and drives good, but I can't drive it due to the state inspections here. I'm just too frustrated to even try and get it to pass. So if anyone is interested, it's got some good new parts and fresh brakes, i just need something different right now, prefereably something i can get antique tags for.

Well I think i'm going to have to get rid of this thing. It's running good and drives good, but I can't drive it due to the state inspections here. I'm just too frustrated to even try and get it to pass. So if anyone is interested, it's got some good new parts and fresh brakes, i just need something different right now, prefereably something i can get antique tags for.

Why wont it pass? And it doesn't qualify for antique down there?

It's 25 years for antique down here. Ridicolous stuff like safety glass, rear window defroster, stuff that i don't want to get into spending a lot of money on.

Rear window defroster? Does it even snow down there? And it has to be actual glass instead of plexi?

It's sitting right now but I'm hanging on to it until the right person might want it back. I got it running good, got the brakes working right, and swapped in a manual seatbelt on the drivers side, plus the new driver's fender. I want to keep it, but logically I know i souldn't. For now i just bought a forester this week for a daily.

Archived