LegacyGT.com

OBXT beach-driving related question

Hey All-

I'm heading down to Hatteras in mid-September with the wife and have been told we might be doing some fishing/camping-out wherein we'll be doing some driving on the beach. Although I've spent some time on the beach in trucks and jeeps in the past, I've never been anywhere near the beach in my OBXT.

Can anyone tell me how beach-capable the OBXT is? Fyi, I won't be doing any dune-hopping or crawling...only relaxed driving. I'm familiar with the list of "needs" when four-wheeling on the beach, such as a high-lift jack, a board, shovel, tow-chain, another vehicle for towing (if needed), etc. When it comes to airing-down, how low should I go on a stock 17" tire? How awful are the RE92a's in sand?

Is this even something I should be doing? I don't mean to come-off as a puss; it's just that my OB is my daily-driver...and she's NOT PAID OFF YET!! ;)

Any advice, stories or orline resources would be appreciated.

TIA,

Tim G.

The only thing you need to worry about is the deep sand at the end of the pavement. Pretty much everywhere else is packed. My buddy has an STi and a house 4 miles off the pavement at Corolla. He brings the car out there often (followed by his wife in the H2 with tow straps ;) ). One thing to keep in mind....speed is your friend, unless you get stuck - don't try to spin your way out then, because it doesn't work.

I posted this awhile back:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9662&highlight=corolla

That's how you drive on the sand :lol:

Though I have not taken my OBXT on the sand, I have taken my old OBS and WRX. Both had zero problems at Pismo beach, even in the soft sand where 4X4 trucks were getting stuck. I never had to air down my tires, though I did start out from a stop in second gear several times in soft sand as a "preventive measure".

In my experience, Suby's are actually fairly remarkable on sand, and much better than quite a few SUV's and trucks I've driven in similar conditions. You should not feel in the least bit intimidated or out of your Suby's element. In fact, driving my wife's SUV with all the computer gizmos (i.e., electronic traction control, vehicle stability management) in the sand was a pain in the arse, comparatively.

Nothing really helpful to add as it sounds like you allready know what you're doing except; take lots of pics.

I used to travel the southern RI beaches in my truck and I usually saw a Subaru here and there. I was actually quite impressed as they handled the sand with ease, and I'm talking some seriously soft sand. I'd say go for it.

Brian

Anyone else here see the OBX and OBXT similarities here?

I would be cautious getting through the deep sand. I've driven on the Outer Banks many times from Ocracoke to Hatteras, to Nags Head to Corolla. The entrances to these beaches are heavilly rutted and found myself scraping with my fullsize trucks.

I don't think our Subies have enough sidewall to gain anything from airing down.

Just be cautious and keep the momentum up.

like TLS said, i dont think letting air out will really net you any gain, the 17'' low profile tires really just dont have enough rubber there to 'flatten' out and increase your surface area much.

as long as you've got someone to tow you out should you get stuck, i think the OBXT should be okay.. It's got as much ground clearance as some of the smaller suv's, right? Just stay out of the deep soft stuff.

have fun :)

Yeah, com'n from off roading, you should always let a lil air otta the tires when on soft sand ;)

As for sand driving..........DM could handle it :dm:

...will take plenty of pics. Those videos/still shots included in this thread are really incredible.

Will let everyone know how I make out :D

Thanks again!

Tim G.

It was no OBXT, but my 03 LTD outback was a beast when it came to off roading..though i only saw mud and a couple of small rivers :)...that everyone who ever saw what it could do off road or road in it off road was ready to crap their pants in total surprise of my wagon. I have also had my parents old chevy conversion van on the beach somewhere near San Louis Obispo California...that thing is hella heavy and rear wheel drive and we only got stuck once...my boy meatwad hit the brakes hard and we planted the nose a few feet down :). You'll be fine on the sand..just don't go crossing any inland water outlets.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived