LegacyGT.com

replaced VF40, CEL after boost/fuel cut at 4k RPM in 3rd. boost creep?!

i have a bone stock 2005 LGT wagon 5EAT. i recently swapped out my blown vf40 with another vf40.

the car seemed to run fine (i wasn't really pushing it hard) until today. i was driving her pretty hard up the hill near my home, and i believe i was in 3rd gear about to hit 4k RPM, and all of the sudden i hit either boost/fuel cut and threw a CEL. i drove home and i can still hear the turbo spooling up at times.

about an hour later, i jump into the car and i still have the CEL. i proceeded to drive the car to see if i can troubleshoot the problem, and everything seemed normal (then again, i wasn't pushing it as hard as i did when i initially threw the CEL). 1st-3rd gear pulled pretty strong and boost seemed good. then, i proceeded to run a few errands, and after about the 4th time of starting the car, the CEL cleared itself.

on my way back home, i was coming up the same exact hill, and wanted to see if i can replicate the CEL. i was able to.

i tried going to the local auto parts store to see if they can tell me what code my CEL is throwing, but they stated that California law does not allow them to do that. so i called a couple shops that were nearby, and a few of them wanted to charge me $70 just to read a damn code!!!

so, my questions are:

do you have any idea on what's happening? given i don't have the CEL code...

do you know any place near me (San Ramon CA) that will read my code for free? getting an AP is out of the question for now and I don't have a laptop for a tactrix cable

thanks for any help

Maybe something with the restrictive pill?

Could be the pill is the wrong size or installed in the wrong line, or maybe you got lucky and picked up a turbo with an upgraded actuator.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Some basic questions to help debugging:

Why was the VF40 swapped, was it totally blown or just starting to fail?

Why did the VF40 fail?

What other work was done along with the swap?

Also, I'm local (Pleasanton), and I've got a Garmin thing which should be able to pull codes if you can't find a place.

Why was the VF40 swapped, was it totally blown or just starting to fail?

Why did the VF40 fail?

What other work was done along with the swap?

Also, I'm local (Pleasanton), and I've got a Garmin thing which should be able to pull codes if you can't find a place.

The old vf40 was completely dead due to bad OCI thus resulting in clogged banjo filter. I didn't change anything else out except for the turbo, and then ran Subaru's engine flush. Although, it did sit for about 6-7 weeks. But, I doubt bad gas etc. would cause this.

CEL was cleared this morning, after i replicated the boost cut a 3rd time last night. I would greatly appreciate it if I can use your code reader. But, let me try the mechanic down the street from my apartment first, and I'll let you know if I need to head over to Pleasanton.

Thanks for your help

sam

Archived