LegacyGT.com

any ideas how to pull exhaust wrap off worm gear?

I installed my uppipe fully wrapped but I spilled a bunch of oil on it. I've been able to cut most of it off but there is still a little wrapped around both worm gears. The top one smokes oil and I'd really like to get the rest of the wrap off of there, but the worm gear I used to clamp it is facing the wrong way (d'oh). Any ideas? I tried to he-man the wrap from under the gear but no luck. Maybe just drive gentle and let it burn off?

Why drive gentle ?

The faster you go the hotter the pipe will get.

You could always hit the screw part of the clamp with a hammer and long screw driver.

A chissle may work.

I guess you learned something by doing this...I guess you'll be more careful with clamp placement next time. Rookie mistake. We've all been there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 for suggestions from Max Capacity

You don't have a Dremel that could get in there and cut the clamp with a cutting wheel?

A hammer and chisel might also work to just cut the clamp off.

Maybe you could stick a pry bar in the area and pry it off? You probably want to be pretty careful not to break/bend something else in the process.

+1 for suggestions from Max Capacity

You don't have a Dremel that could get in there and cut the clamp with a cutting wheel?

A hammer and chisel might also work to just cut the clamp off.

Maybe you could stick a pry bar in the area and pry it off? You probably want to be pretty careful not to break/bend something else in the process.

Not sure there's enough room for a 4" cut off wheel.

Do they make a right angle dremel ?

Hey, I gots a sawzall with a long blade...let me at it...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Looks like dremel it is... I wonder if there's a bit that's mild enough to break the clamp but cause minimal damage to the UP. I think I'll also try to degrease and pressure wash the engine bay to speed up getting that shit off.

And don't worry guys I do feel like a dummy for not placing them better hah. Though for the coolant hoses and oil return from the turbo they worked like a charm. Much better feeling than the old spring clamps.

Why drive gentle ?

The faster you go the hotter the pipe will get.

no chance for combustion if I do this? i don't think there are any big pools of oil or coolant anywhere but I do want to be safe.

Don't worry so much about the up pipe. It would take a lot for the dremel to damage the pipe where the pipe would be junk.

uhhh.....Dremel tool? Cut the clamp? It falls off? Wrap comes off?

Can't even see a reason for this thread.

Not all of us have so much mechanical experience. It was helpful talking to people who have maybe been in the same situation since I haven't run into this before.

Thanks for the tip Peterjmc. I will try and find one of those.

Dremel makes a LONG extension which you could use to fit in tight spaces... :)

http://epics.ecn.purdue.edu/equip/assets/images/Dremel_Extension_10.3.Gadgets.JPG

Have some of those here at work.

Not all of us have so much mechanical experience. It was helpful talking to people who have maybe been in the same situation since I haven't run into this before.

Thanks for the tip Peterjmc. I will try and find one of those.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing you for this thread but I would have simply found a way to cut the clamps and remove the wrap. You installed them and know how they work, so use a prybar, or pliers, or a long screwdriver and hammer, or something to twist or knock the worm gear housing off of the band. They are simply clamped on with bent tabs and will come loose.

I do know that some people have not as much mechanical experience, and I did not mean for it to sound as I'm trying to belittle you. Some things are better figured out on our own and for no one else to ever know about <been there, done that>. :rolleyes:

Archived