LegacyGT.com

Is there/ will there be a suspension offered that...

yacoub

fits in the Subject line of the topic... j/k :lol: Serious question: Is there/ will there be a suspension offered that increases performance (stiffer in the proper ways) that also lowers the car about an inch to an inch and a half? That's what I'd be looking for and I'm curious if there is such a suspension available or planned, and if so from whom. Thanks.

Not from Subaru, which means that it won't have the proper R&D. I'm sure all kinds of stuff will come out for people who just want to lower the car. But without testing, and considering the effects of the part in question on overall handling, said parts aren't something I would consider. Stiffer in the proper ways is also expensive in the expected ways. It's hard to do firm and compliant, as the current GT does. I wouldn't expect a reasonably-priced aftermarket option to successfully pull this trick off. Kevin

Well two things: Not "just lower" but also improved handling and performance. And just because it's not from Subaru doesn't mean it won't have the proper R&D. Perhaps you are unaware of some of the suspension manufacturers out there who make some excellent aftermarket suspensions for cars. Stasis for Audi, as one example off the top of my head: [url]http://www.stasisengineering.com/index.shtml[/url] Now perhaps the Subaru aftermarket doesn't have such support, but other brands I am more familiar with do, and that is why I asked if there is such an option for Subarus. Clearly this car is only in its second model year (JDM) and first model year (USDM) so it might be another 6-12 months before a solid suspension offering is available from any reputable, high quality manufacturers. I was just checking to see if there were any such things yet or word of renown manufacturers who might be in progress on such an offering. I'd be extremely enticed to buy a 2.5GT if I had the knowledge that within the next year there would be available either a spring and shock combo or set of coilovers that would allow the car to have a bit of a drop with improved handling performance and long-lasting durability. That would be ideal to me as I like the look of the car in pictures from SEMA-style events where it is fitted with a subtle body kit and lowered what looks like between 1-1.5" (with a very slight rake to the drop) and is shod with 17-18" wheels and tires. If I knew I would have the ability to do that with quality components I would be sold.

[quote name='gtguy']Not from Subaru, which means that it won't have the proper R&D. [/quote] Kevin...who told you that? I've been told that they will be R&D'ing a spring package for the GT but there is currently no time frame for when it might be complete. I was told that the springs will be produced by Eibach in the specifications set forth by SOA's R&D. Send me a PM and we can share contact info...

[quote name='yacoub']fits in the Subject line of the topic... j/k :lol: Serious question: Is there/ will there be a suspension offered that increases performance (stiffer in the proper ways) that also lowers the car about an inch to an inch and a half? That's what I'd be looking for and I'm curious if there is such a suspension available or planned, and if so from whom. Thanks.[/quote] I promise you that you will be able to find quality coilovers and such for the GT. Probably some additions from prodrive and such.. you will have a lot to pick from in the coming years!

Just because it isn't made by FHI doesn't mean it isn't quality. Yes, the FHI and STi parts are very good, but they may not be end-all solutions for everyone Kevin. Everyone has a different take, may that be need or desire.

Sorry, but I am going to disagree with you all. An aftermarket setup is not car specific in the truest sense. For example, Tein might make coilovers for the Legacy, but they are a version of that coilover, adapted from a universal coilover. Change the tops, maybe change the valving a bit, and voila, a coilover for the Legacy. The STi aftermarket bits, for example, are engineered and designed for Subarus, and the specific Subaru you are buying it for. Period. Do not mistake my statement about something not being ideal for a lack of quality. Springs by themselves don't cut it for me. Without taking into account the strut valving and proper lowering characteristic of said strut, such products are suspect. They shorten the overall life of the stock strut, and don't improve handling all that much. There will be plenty of stuff that will work, and probably work pretty well. But after numerous coilovers and aftermarket bits for my WRX, for me, the STi stuff was perfection. It fit, and took into account the weight, balance and characteristics of the car. They were, in a word, ideal. I don't know of an aftermarket manufacturer who will put as much time and money into product development as an FHI subsidiary, never mind the build quality considerations. If someone wants to put stuff from other manufacturers on their car, that's fine. But my experience tells me that it won't be ideal, as is the FHI bits. I can't for the life of me comprehend why that is so hard to understand. Take a suspension off of a car, install a different one, live with those options for a while, reinstall other parts, etc, etc, and you will come to understand the value of perfectly engineered, car-specific (in every way) parts. Until then, we can all argue until we're blue in the face, not that I choose to. Kevin

Bottom line, everyone has different opinions. There will be car enthusiasts in the secondary market that enjoy performance parts that will develop quality products that aren't rushed to market. There is no reason why a world full of peolpe can't do the came thing that STi or Subaru can do. You will never convince me otherwise. The key is to wait for those quality parts that AREN'T rushed to market.

[quote name='gtguy']Sorry, but I am going to disagree with you all. An aftermarket setup is not car specific in the truest sense. For example, Tein might make coilovers for the Legacy, but they are a version of that coilover, adapted from a universal coilover. Change the tops, maybe change the valving a bit, and voila, a coilover for the Legacy.[/b][/quote] But the extension of that logic is then that all suspension systems the world over are suddenly invalid because they are all made up of springs and shock or strut components with different settings. Clearly that's not a valid statement. :| [quote]Do not mistake my statement about something not being ideal for a lack of quality. ... Without taking into account the strut valving and proper lowering characteristic of said strut, such products are suspect.[/quote] First we were discussing coilovers (which combine new springs and new struts) and now you're arguing against simply replacing just the struts or just the springs, which is something I'd never do either. [quote]They shorten the overall life of the stock strut, and don't improve handling all that much.[/quote] No disagreement there. The only suspension upgrades I would do are either both parts or neither. It's common sense among folks that modify suspensions that you either replace both the spring and shock/strut or neither, because the stock components are made to work best with each other, and mixing with aftermarket can often upset the handling of the vehicle. [quote]There will be plenty of stuff that will work, and probably work pretty well. But after numerous coilovers and aftermarket bits for my WRX, for me, the STi stuff was perfection. It fit, and took into account the weight, balance and characteristics of the car. They were, in a word, ideal.[/quote] That's awesome. I hope there are STi offerings for the 2.5GT that are so ideal. [quote]I don't know of an aftermarket manufacturer who will put as much time and money into product development as an FHI subsidiary, never mind the build quality considerations.[/quote] As was already said, there are numerous aftermarket suspension companies that offer extremely high quality products. Don't prejudge an entire industry just because there are budget offerings available that are clearly junk, or people who cut springs and call themselves tuners. [quote]I can't for the life of me comprehend why that is so hard to understand. Take a suspension off of a car, install a different one, live with those options for a while, reinstall other parts, etc, etc, and you will come to understand the value of perfectly engineered, car-specific (in every way) parts. Until then, we can all argue until we're blue in the face, not that I choose to.[/quote] I've BTDT from several perspectives. I learned the lesson that you get what you pay for. I went through several suspension iterations on my last car, meanwhile another friend bought a certain combination of springs and struts that worked great and achieved the result we both sought (slightly lower, slight rake, improved handling and performance) and he never changed again. Eventually I came around, after spending quite a bit more money and dealing with quite a few headaches (but at least I'll never forget learning that lesson). =)

Well put Yacoub. You do generally get what you pay for. There are good parts within the bad, do your homework, see how it turns out on others, and then make your purchase. Stock won't suit everone. If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be driving buicks. (No offense Franz. ;) )

To answer the original question, TEIN already has the TypeFLEX available for the Legacy in Japan. [url]http://www.tein.co.jp/flexdamp2s.html[/url] I'm sure these will make it to this side of the world soon.

FWIW, I am interested in a set of springs, FHI, SPT, STi (or LMNOP for that matter! :D) that would lower the car by an inch to inch-and-a-half [i][b]WITHOUT[/b][/i] compromising the very fine balance Subaru has achieved between comfort and performance. Do you guys think that is possible without changing struts or other parts?

[quote name='brady_bunch']FWIW, I am interested in a set of springs, FHI, SPT, STi (or LMNOP for that matter! :D) that would lower the car by an inch to inch-and-a-half [i][b]WITHOUT[/b][/i] compromising the very fine balance Subaru has achieved between comfort and performance. Do you guys think that is possible without changing struts or other parts?[/quote] You will most certainly have to change the entire suspension AND will most likely be compromising ride quality. It's likely that it will handle as doog if not better but ride quality would be my concern.

I think gtguy just want a set of Spec-B coilovers. I'm still attracted to the Tein systems with their adjustability. Just need to find three settings, one for comfort, one for sporty, and one for track. But I'm always reminded that when you try to do many things at once, you might end up not doing any of them well.

The spec B suspension lowers the car ground clearence to 160 mm which is 6.2" our stock ground clearence is 6.1" you go figure this out. This is based on the Legacy GT in New Zealand which uses the Blistein dampers not sure if they use the same coils so it could be all in the coils.

Prodrive springs for the WRX are manufactured by Eibach to Prodrive's specs, they lower the car slightly, and they were developed specifically to work with the stock WRX struts. WRX owners rave about only a slightly firmer ride and much improved handling. This is exactly the type of spring I hope either STi or Prodrive can develop for the Leg.

Archived