LegacyGT.com

Shaking Problems

Hello my 99 LGT is having a problem with the wheel shaking around 55-60 and around 70 I feel like I loose all control of the car. The biggest thing that is different from most shaking issues is mine only happens sometimes. On my way to work it'll do it and on the way home it won't it happens at all different times. I don't know where to look for an answer. I just got four new tires 2 months ago and an alignment at same time. It is on off problem and the intensity of the shaking changes. Sometimes it's a little sometimes I have to stop because I can't control the car. Any ideas would be helpful. I travel the highway at 70 to and from work daily and really need to figure out how to stop this. Thanks in advance,

Spencer

It could be anything from poorly balanced tire (though that wouldn't usually be an intermittent problem) to a blown strut allowing the wheel to bounce around. Picture when you get a crappy shopping cart at the supermarket and if you go too fast one of the wheels starts shuddering violently and you have to slow down a lot to get it to stop.

That strut issue is probably it or it can also be a tie rod end. Jack the car up and grab ahold of the tire and try to turn it as if you were turning the steering wheel. There should be 0 play if any at all. Sometimes if its on the edge of alignment the tie rod pin can shake inside the inner eyelet.

When its intermittent it because of the various surfaces you drive on.

Check the inside of the tires to see if they are scrubbing. Looking at how tires wear can tell a whole hell of a lot of what's going on in your front end components.

I am having the exact same issue. Around 60mph and up the steering wheel shakes. It smooths out and then starts again. All tires are at the same psi. I know I need an alignment because the PO did a wheel bearing and didn't properly align the rear alignment when he was done. So, the car pulls slightly to the left. My first thought was the alignment and possibly bad wheel balance.

I am having the exact same issue. Around 60mph and up the steering wheel shakes. It smooths out and then starts again. All tires are at the same psi. I know I need an alignment because the PO did a wheel bearing and didn't properly align the rear alignment when he was done. So, the car pulls slightly to the left. My first thought was the alignment and possibly bad wheel balance.

Doing a rear bearing shouldnt mess up the alignment. The rear strut to knuckle bolts do not have an adjustment. The adjustment is done where the lateral links connect to the subframe.

I have a slight wobble also I think mine might be some junk that I need to clean off inside the rim.

• 3 months later...
I replaced my ball joints about a month ago along with my rotors and pads,they were wobbling around while braking above 50mph and had a warped rotor in the front. Wobbling went away but I have a clunk when I go over a speed bump (outer tie rods popped) fml. My struts and end links are two years old.

Archived