LegacyGT.com

Arm-Chair Diagnostics HELP! **video**

Looks like bearing material

the High Desert of CA, Victorville by chance ?

I spend 4 years there in the USAF, back in the late 70's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Looks like bearing material

the High Desert of CA, Victorville by chance ?

I spend 4 years there in the USAF, back in the late 70's.

A little farther north; Ridgecrest aka China Lake. The same place really, only Victorville has more than a Walmart.

Constant periodic knocking indicates a rod bearing. The squeal typically indicates that the bearing spun.

A relatively quiet engine that makes a loud clacking noise when you crack the throttle is usually indicative of a main bearing failure.

Not that it really matters much, the cost differential between replacing everything and replacing just one bearing is pretty much non-existent.

You'll want to source a shortblock and a new turbo. There's a good chance the turbo is, or soon will be, pooped. With that much metal in the filter and on the plug, it's darn near certain that the turbo saw enough it's worth replacing. The heads are probably fine. Pull the covers and inspect the cams for pitting or scoring. You'll want to replace any rubber part that touches oil and inspect anything metal that comes near it. Don't forget to flush the oil cooler, too.

But the REAL question here is how does a 2008 have a 10 year old battery?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yep, you are correct. I keep thinking about aftermarket air-air oil coolers... probably because one of them is on my "do want" list. It gets hot in the south.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Constant periodic knocking indicates a rod bearing. The squeal typically indicates that the bearing spun.

A relatively quiet engine that makes a loud clacking noise when you crack the throttle is usually indicative of a main bearing failure.

Not that it really matters much, the cost differential between replacing everything and replacing just one bearing is pretty much non-existent.

You'll want to source a shortblock and a new turbo. There's a good chance the turbo is, or soon will be, pooped. With that much metal in the filter and on the plug, it's darn near certain that the turbo saw enough it's worth replacing. The heads are probably fine. Pull the covers and inspect the cams for pitting or scoring. You'll want to replace any rubber part that touches oil and inspect anything metal that comes near it. Don't forget to flush the oil cooler, too.

But the REAL question here is how does a 2008 have a 10 year old battery?

Thank you for this valuable information, you probably just save my new block!

The turbo was replaced about 5k miles ago, is it something that can be cleaned or does it really need to be replaced? If it does, I see I can get a 16g from BNR for a decent price.

I had no idea I needed to replace the oil cooler, does the intercooler also need to be replaced?

I also wondered how the battery was 10 yrs. old. In retrospect, it was probably just mismarked and should have been tested before I bought a new one.

Archived