LegacyGT.com

Hi, Im new here and new to the subaru world.

noobyhere

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and I have a couple of questions about it.. I am a 19 year old who is still in college and i have a full time job that pays 9/hr, probably 1.1k/month. I don't have any bills but my phone bill which is 100$/month. I don't know how much insurance will be for me at this age but i heard its expensive. I might go under my parents insurance which is triple A. I really like the style of this car but I'm afraid that i wont be able to afford it. Buying the car is easy but not too sure about insurance and etc. What are your opinions? How much will the insurance be for me? The right price for the right mileage for a 2005 LGT. I am currently looking at a 2005 LGT that has 117k for 9k. is that too much for the mileage? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and I have a couple of questions about it.. I am a 19 year old who is still in college and i have a full time job that pays 9/hr, probably 1.1k/month. I don't have any bills but my phone bill which is 100$/month. I don't know how much insurance will be for me at this age but i heard its expensive. I might go under my parents insurance which is triple A. I really like the style of this car but I'm afraid that i wont be able to afford it. Buying the car is easy but not too sure about insurance and etc. What are your opinions? How much will the insurance be for me? The right price for the right mileage for a 2005 LGT. I am currently looking at a 2005 LGT that has 117k for 9k. is that too much for the mileage? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Variables to consider for insurance:

1. Where you live

2. How much you'll drive the car (miles per year)

3. Parents insurance vs. yours (bundling with your parents and then reciprocating them the money they pay for your car's insurance is typically MUCH cheaper)

4. Driving/academic/criminal record (bonuses or penalties can be dealt accordingly)

5. The car (obviously)

Other costs to look out for when buying a 2005 LGT:

1. Turbo oil starvation & failure

2. Engine failure as a result of turbo failure or a bunch of other things

3. The mod bug

I'm also a 19-year-old college student. I own a 2008 Acura TL currently, but I'm saving up for an LGT myself. Me personally, I'm going to wait until I have at least twice as much money as I need to buy the car before I buy it. Reason? The other costs I listed above. But also because I staunchly refuse to take out loans, but that's just me hating to be in debt.

Now I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying an LGT, I'm just trying to encourage you to use your head and know what you're getting into before you get into it.

Also, the price on that LGT seems about right, but get it inspected - thoroughly - before even making an offer.

Totally dependent on the vehicle. I purchased my 05 two years ago for 12,700 w/ 99k, granted he just dropped 4k into it.

If that number scares you, look into a 2.5i.

The BNR 16G that was on the vehicle terminated (contamination issue) three weeks in & I had to drop another $500 ..& even worse, I was out of a vehicle for a month & had to drop one of my classes because I had no transportation (BNR is in Alabama...)

Save your money kiddo. Buy a naturally aspirated vehicle & STAY THE **** in school. Get good grades & you won't have to worry about being able to afford an LGT down the road.

Btw, as soon as it warms up, I'm dropping another 3K into it (clutch packs, VB, TC, ..etc)

I was making 12/hr cutting grass for REO & couldn't afford it. Hell I still can't afford it.

I laugh at people who brag about getting deals on vehicles. Yeah man, that was a steal on the GT for 7k!

Now have fun sticking another 4k into it! Lol

Sent from someone who was in your position two years ago & SHOULD HAVE purchased another vehicle.

I agree. If dropping $1200 here and there scares you at all, buy N/A... Paying labor hurts the wallet.

If you can do your own work, still be prepared to drop $600 here and there.

..and if that makes you uncomfortable, walk or ride a bicycle..

Most cars a person can afford on $9 an hour are hardly able to be considered cars. I know... I've been there.

Best $9/hr job car I've had was a $200 Grand Marquis.

I think to sum up what we're saying is, although we LOVE our cars, "just because you can doesn't mean you should". If you making the monthly payment is tight, get something cheaper with lower maintenance. You'll be happier in the long run.

One question to think about in terms of your finances is you make 1100 and have 100 of bill. Of that $1000 you have leftover how much do you have leftover every month? How much do you feel comfortable of spending your leftover $? Do you currently own a car?

At 19 buy something cheaper and enjoy it. Also something easier on the wallet and maintenance. The Legacy is also an expensive car to run day today. Premium has is expensive. If you want a fun car, you may want to look somewhere else for now. Maybe a used Miata if you can live with two seats? They are fun cars, parts are dirt cheap, and you can customize it how you want to. You'll also feel like you are going fast without really breaking the law and getting into trouble. It is easy to get tickets in the LGT.

GL

X

---

Variables to consider for insurance:

1. Where you live

2. How much you'll drive the car (miles per year)

3. Parents insurance vs. yours (bundling with your parents and then reciprocating them the money they pay for your car's insurance is typically MUCH cheaper)

4. Driving/academic/criminal record (bonuses or penalties can be dealt accordingly)

5. The car (obviously)

Other costs to look out for when buying a 2005 LGT:

1. Turbo oil starvation & failure

2. Engine failure as a result of turbo failure or a bunch of other things

3. The mod bug

I'm also a 19-year-old college student. I own a 2008 Acura TL currently, but I'm saving up for an LGT myself. Me personally, I'm going to wait until I have at least twice as much money as I need to buy the car before I buy it. Reason? The other costs I listed above. But also because I staunchly refuse to take out loans, but that's just me hating to be in debt.

Now I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying an LGT, I'm just trying to encourage you to use your head and know what you're getting into before you get into it.

Also, the price on that LGT seems about right, but get it inspected - thoroughly - before even making an offer.

I live in Saint Paul, but I am going to be under my parents insurance for sure. I am just buying a LGT to take me to places. I'm not going to buy any new and good parts to built it just yet to save money. I was actually planning to buy the 08 acura TL but isn't that car more expensive than the LGT? Thank you for the reply!

Totally dependent on the vehicle. I purchased my 05 two years ago for 12,700 w/ 99k, granted he just dropped 4k into it.

If that number scares you, look into a 2.5i.

The BNR 16G that was on the vehicle terminated (contamination issue) three weeks in & I had to drop another $500 ..& even worse, I was out of a vehicle for a month & had to drop one of my classes because I had no transportation (BNR is in Alabama...)

Save your money kiddo. Buy a naturally aspirated vehicle & STAY THE **** in school. Get good grades & you won't have to worry about being able to afford an LGT down the road.

Btw, as soon as it warms up, I'm dropping another 3K into it (clutch packs, VB, TC, ..etc)

I was making 12/hr cutting grass for REO & couldn't afford it. Hell I still can't afford it.

I laugh at people who brag about getting deals on vehicles. Yeah man, that was a steal on the GT for 7k!

Now have fun sticking another 4k into it! Lol

Sent from someone who was in your position two years ago & SHOULD HAVE purchased another vehicle.

I'm not planning on buying anything for the LGT if I buy one, to save money. I just need it to take me to places. If it breaks, I'll buy what it needs to run again. Right now, I am driving a 1999 toyota camry, which runs smoothly and save gas! but my little brother is getting his license soon and my parents are planning to buy him a whacky good car for 5k. If my parents are going to use 5k on a whacky good car, i might as will add my savings into that 5k and buy myself a decent car and pass down my car to my little brother so he can save money.(reason to buying the LGT). I am not too worry about getting to school because my family owns 4cars and i can share with them or they can take me to school and yes, I will stay in school till I'm finish. I am still debating. Thanks for the reply!

One question to think about in terms of your finances is you make 1100 and have 100 of bill. Of that $1000 you have leftover how much do you have leftover every month? How much do you feel comfortable of spending your leftover $? Do you currently own a car?

I am currently driving a 1999 camry. It runs great and smooth, but my little brother is getting his license soon so I'm planning to give him my car so he can save money. Since I don't have any bills but my cell phone, I have a lot of left overs but due to a lot of left overs and having a GF, Fun/GF is using up all my money so I'm planning to use my left over for the LGT if i get one instead of my GF. LOL. sorry, been using too much money on her, i need to spoil myself. lol. Thanks for the reply.

At 19 buy something cheaper and enjoy it. Also something easier on the wallet and maintenance. The Legacy is also an expensive car to run day today. Premium has is expensive. If you want a fun car, you may want to look somewhere else for now. Maybe a used Miata if you can live with two seats? They are fun cars, parts are dirt cheap, and you can customize it how you want to. You'll also feel like you are going fast without really breaking the law and getting into trouble. It is easy to get tickets in the LGT.

GL

X

That is true, gas is not cheap at all. That why I am debating. I heard that a two door car insurance is more expensive than a four door car? I have never gotten a ticket so I think I'll just do fine with a LGT without getting a ticket. I'm not a racer. Thanks for the reply!

That is true, gas is not cheap at all. That why I am debating. I heard that a two door car insurance is more expensive than a four door car? I have never gotten a ticket so I think I'll just do fine with a LGT without getting a ticket. I'm not a racer. Thanks for the reply!

It totally depends on your insurance carrier. 4 doors is usually cheaper than 2. I went from a Zx2 with no collision to a LGT with full coverage and my insurance went down, but then again...I'm 34. Only way to tell is to bug your insurance agent and see what the totals come out to be.

The Legacy GT is a fast and safe car but unfortunately it is also expensive to insure and maintain. The biggest worry with that car would be if the oil filter in the feed line to the turbo has ever been changed or removed. If not, it needs to be removed immediately as there are prone to clog. Subaru recommends changing the filter every 60K miles but you don't need it so just take it out. If the original filter is still in the car the turbo may have suffered some damage and that is $1,000 just for the part. I would also expect to replace the axles soon but that is only $200 a piece. There are also the differentials that need regular service.

Long story short the car is fun and safe but more expensive to fix and maintain that your typical Japanese car. If your budget is really tight you might want to consider a different non-turbo car because it would usually be cheaper than the Legacy to maintain.

The Legacy GT is expensive to insure. The maintenance is also a little higher than normal due to the AWD drivetrain. If you buy a turbo make sure the oil filter in the oil feed line to the turbo has been removed. If not it will clog and ruin the turbo. Subaru issued a tech/service bulletin that you can Google #02-106-08R that says to replace it regularly but you don't need so just remove it. The GT is a fun car but it can also be expensive if you get the wrong one. Good luck.

The LGT isn't expensive to insure at all. I live in NJ with the highest auto rates in the country. I pay 90 per month to insure it. That's pretty cheap considering what it costs to insure some other cars.

Also, the banjo bolt doesn't just clog. It only clogs if you have crap running through your engine. I've maintained my car with 3k OCIs and I check the BB once every 2 years. I've never had more than 1 or two flecks of crud stuck in the screen.

Archived